S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cylinder #4 Problems

Old 02-14-2017, 02:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cylinder #4 Problems

Been having extra oil burning problems. Probably have seen my past posts recently. Compression is good. Actually my best compression number was #4, all 225 with #4 being 235. Today my car started puffing smoke on nearly every take off after it had idled for more than 30 seconds. Pulled the plugs and it is obvious that #4 is the problem. Think oil ring is the problem?
Attached Thumbnails Cylinder #4 Problems-img_3276.jpg   Cylinder #4 Problems-img_3277.jpg  
Old 02-14-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

My bet is a scored wall, which is actually causing the high compression. I almost suggested this on your other thread. I want to say I recall a different owner buying a S2k that had a banjo bolt "upgrade" just prior to his purchase and he had scored # 4 for some unknown reason. So IDK if there could be a connection between the banjo bolt "upgrade" and these occurrences.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:32 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Typically if the oil control rings go, then the compression rings are gone as well and will show a low comp number, but that's not a hard rule, sometimes not, so still possible to have good compression but bad oil control ring. In my experience, if your cylinders are scored, they read low compression, not the other way around. The thing to do those is a leak down test to verify that it isn't your valves on cylinder 4. Bad valve seals and or guides will cause your issue and its one id be hoping for, because its fixable. Bad oil control rings, means tearing the bottom end apart, which means might as well just find a used drop in engine.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 1,425 Likes on 955 Posts

Blown valve guide seal(s)? The smoke after long idle kinda sounds possible.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Typically if the oil control rings go, then the compression rings are gone as well and will show a low comp number, but that's not a hard rule, sometimes not, so still possible to have good compression but bad oil control ring. In my experience, if your cylinders are scored, they read low compression, not the other way around. The thing to do those is a leak down test to verify that it isn't your valves on cylinder 4. Bad valve seals and or guides will cause your issue and its one id be hoping for, because its fixable. Bad oil control rings, means tearing the bottom end apart, which means might as well just find a used drop in engine.
I think a scored cylinder may show a high compression due to access oil flooding around the rings
Old 02-14-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

It will show higher compression in the scored cylinder if conditions are right (ring flooding)
Old 02-14-2017, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky

These were the leak down test numbers i did a couple weeks back when it first smoked a little after idle. Also looking for a bore scope to take a peak down in the cylinder with to rule out scarring for sure.
Attached Thumbnails Cylinder #4 Problems-7caacb87-1167-47c1-ab3d-bb625a4c8b8f.jpg  

Last edited by Mullallyman; 02-14-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
It will show higher compression in the scored cylinder if conditions are right (ring flooding)
Im not familiar with this. Could you elaborate?
Old 02-15-2017, 03:01 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

If your leak down and compression numbers are good maybe it is valve stem seals. They don't last forever, they are rubber and plastic and have a metal spring, after millions of valve activations, they will eventually start to wear out. Replacing stem seals is almost a rite of passage in the Honda world, now that our cars are getting older, this should come as no surprise, especially considering Honda used the same seals in all B H and F series engines, not sure about the K.

I think Billman means that if too much oil slips past the rings it can give higher compression readings. Much like you can tell you have bad rings by dropping a tablespoon of oil in the cylinder when doing a compression test to see if compression increases.

Another reason could be burned in deposits on the piston crown increasing your compression ratio.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:57 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sure its oil? faulty/dirty injector? flooded cylinder?

Last edited by MorngWoodStewie; 02-15-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Cylinder #4 Problems