S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Half shafts

Old 01-07-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shind3
Nice video. You can easily hear that rattling/grinding sound as the revs drop to their lowest amplitude/frequency.

Just my opinion, but I think that is just excessive backlash in the rear diff itself. Excessive backlash noise tends to manifest itself most when the load on the gears one way or another (accel or decel) is at its lowest. I also don't think it is a problem to be concerned about. For example, when going from a dual mass flywheel in a Toyota Supra to a single mass flywheel, you will get a lot of noise (at idle in neutral) very similar to that in your video. Now maybe this backlash is excessive or it is just the right amount needed to account for thermal expansion at high torque/power levels.

Remember the SR-71 was designed to leak fuel on the runway so it would stay together at Mach 3+ after significant thermal expansion took effect.

Anyway, this is just conjecture on my part so take it with as many grains of salt as you dare.
I think you may be right. Today I took off the prop shaft and there is absolutely no play in the shaft that comes out of the box when you rotate it by hand.

I then ran the Engine with no prop attached up and down through the gears and it sounds sweet as a nut so I can guarantee that the noise isn't in the output shaft in the box because I would of heard it.

So I then took both caps off each end of the prop shaft and filled them with grease as there was a little play in the prop shaft. Now there is no play in the prop at all

I put it all back together and the noise is still there. So i reckon it is probably the diff.

One thing I did notice between my old diff and this new 4.7 one is there is quite a bit of play in the input shaft on the 4.7 diff and my old one is complete solid when you rotate it by hand.

So I reckon it is the fact that the new one just has more back lash.

Now The reason I think im hearing it more is because I do have solid diff mount collars on the car. They were there when I had the old diff installed and I reckon the reason I can hear the noise now and I couldn't with the old one is because the excessive backlash is now resonating through these solid collars when letting off the throttle.

So next I'm going to remove the collars this week and see if I can still hear the noise.

I'll let you all know

Cheers for the responses everyone
Old 01-08-2017, 11:27 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice process of elimination. That's what I like to see!

Solid bushings transmit a significant amount of noise through metal on metal contact. I recommend doing massive burnouts and then fuggedaboutit!
Old 01-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

4.77s historically, were sometimes noisier than the OEM 4.10s.

Mine were, but just barely.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:20 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Sounds just like my 2 transmissions when they blew.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:29 AM

So Guys, I have a quick update and sort of a fix.

Right So I eventually gave up and paid a guy who builds gearboxes to come round and help me and we both diagnosed the issue yesterday.

It turns out that basically the diff input bearing had side to side rotational play which at first glance seems like excessive backlash. This however wasn’t the case. It was actually due to the fact the pinion preload was way out for some reason. We coudlnt be sure if it was too tight or too slack so either way we slacked off the nut and reset it back using the correct method to 94ft-lb and now the play and rattle has completely gone away.

However the diff still whines quite loudly. The guy who helped me said that the pinion is most likely now worn caused by driving round with the preload set incorrectly hence the noise.

He basically said all I can do now is either rebuild the diff with new parts or live with the whine and hope it doesn’t get any worse.

So I suppose it’s a Fix but not really a positive one

Cheers for all your replies
Old 01-16-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi, the 94 foot pounds is a minimum setting. The load may need to be increased. He is right about the fact that the ring and pinion maybe ruined from being out of spec.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by S2KPUDDYDAD
Hi, the 94 foot pounds is a minimum setting. The load may need to be increased. He is right about the fact that the ring and pinion maybe ruined from being out of spec.
Is there anything i should do? Like Should i tighten it up anymore? Or should i just leave it and hope for the best? :S
Old 01-18-2017, 02:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chrome233
Is there anything i should do? Like Should i tighten it up anymore? Or should i just leave it and hope for the best? :S
hi, take it up to 110foot pounds but first!!! Did you use a new pinion nut? If not, did you clean the threads and use lock tight blue?
Old 01-19-2017, 12:15 AM

hi, take it up to 110foot pounds but first!!! Did you use a new pinion nut? If not, did you clean the threads and use lock tight blue?
Nope i didn't use a new pinion nut or clean the threads or use lock tight blue.

Is it necessary to do all that?

And when tightening the nut is there a process i should follow?
Old 01-19-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

So new pinion nut (or at least clean threads), use locktite blue, then are you saying:

Initially tighten to 110 ft/lbs
Loosen, and retighten to 94 ft/lbs

???

Quick Reply: Half shafts