S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Pulsing shake or vibration from 73 - 88 mph

Old 08-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has been doing this for 2 years. I've had 4 sets of wheels, new pumpkin, new cv joint, and new rotors and pads. Up next is to balance the driveshaft. My vibration oscillates as well.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by djpeak10,Aug 29 2006, 09:44 AM
you know i have the same EXACT problem with my car. I have read all the threads about this issue and cannot narrow it down to something. But what i have noticed is that on some freeways it doesnt do it, and on others it does. The mirrors and the passenger seat shaking is the worst. For the life of me i cant figure out what it is, but your symptoms are to the T exactly what my car does.
At least I'm not alone!

I've noticed that on some highways it doesn't seem as bad... which almost makes me wonder if something is tracking wrong or.. shoot... I don't know. I'm glad you mentioned that because I didn't really think about it, but you're right. Mine does do it at least a little on all highways.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:51 AM

[QUOTE=Ubetit,Aug 29 2006, 09:46 AM] Mine has been doing this for 2 years.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:52 AM

wow i'm intrigued by your problem. Honestly i don't have an answer for you. keep us updated!
Old 08-29-2006, 10:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by therealciviczc,Aug 29 2006, 11:44 AM
I don't hear any bearing noise. I'll try to listen more, but usually that's pretty loud before you feel anything.

All the wheels seem to be right and the tire pressure is good. I'll try the axel nut.

but its just three seconds shaking, 5 not, three shaking, 5 not... over and over. Ugh.
I can't seem to see anywhere in your posts what year of car you have. These little details are important and I wish people wouldn't neglect this sort of thing.

The oscillation can be attributed to wheel bearing. That's why I made mention of it and the hub nut torque. I have a reason for posting stuff like this. I don't do it just to entertain you. A bad wheel bearing may or may not produce a noticeable whine. It all depends on how it wore itself in (or out). I also wanted to know the year because only the later models came with the revised rear hubnut torque. Having it too loose may cause abnormal bearing movement and hence, abnormal bearing wear. Upping the torque may reveal some interesting findings and should be done anyway, so you're not wasting any time doing this. If the oscillating vibration goes away or alters significantly, you may have just narrowed down what part you need to address.

One more thing to check .................... Have a good look at the little bolts that secure the propshaft to the rear diff. Are they on tight and are they all there?
Old 08-29-2006, 10:33 AM

It never fails. You think you cover everything when describing the problem and you miss the obvious...

The car is a 2002 with 19,000 miles. The wheels are stock. The tires are potenzas in the factory size. The only aftermarket part on the car is a header, which doesn't apply here of course.

Thanks for the suggestions. I at least have some hope now. I suppose every problem is fixable. I just need to keep remembering that.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:37 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

There is something I can not find in your posts: For how long has the car been doing this?
Old 08-29-2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Aug 29 2006, 10:37 AM
There is something I can not find in your posts: For how long has the car been doing this?
I'm not sure. I bought the car about 2 weeks ago and didn't notice until I first took it on a long trip. This is sort of stupid on my part I realize, but the area where I test drove the car had sort of rough highways, so I didn't even give the shaking a second thought. It felt like it was just the rough road. It wasn't until I drove it back to Columbus 3 days later that I first noticed. I figured it was just a tire balance issue, so I didn't worry too much until I got the tires balanced and it kept doing it.

The car was purchased from a used dealer. I'm thinking of calling and bitching, but I don't think I'll get anywhere since its been a full 2 weeks.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:12 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 29 2006, 02:00 PM

The oscillation can be attributed to wheel bearing. That's why I made mention of it and the hub nut torque. I have a reason for posting stuff like this. I don't do it just to entertain you. A bad wheel bearing may or may not produce a noticeable whine. It all depends on how it wore itself in (or out). I also wanted to know the year because only the later models came with the revised rear hubnut torque. Having it too loose may cause abnormal bearing movement and hence, abnormal bearing wear. Upping the torque may reveal some interesting findings and should be done anyway, so you're not wasting any time doing this. If the oscillating vibration goes away or alters significantly, you may have just narrowed down what part you need to address.

One more thing to check .................... Have a good look at the little bolts that secure the propshaft to the rear diff. Are they on tight and are they all there?
In my case all the little bolts on the propshaft/diff have been replaced when I upgraded to the 4.57 and then again with the 4.57r.

I haven't checked my wheel bearings yet but they display none of the traditional noise, grinding or play that wheel bearings typically exhibit when bad. My axles never clicked but were re-torqued last summer. I recently put my car in the air and re-torqued just about everything I could. It still happens. I'll check my wheel bearings and rotate my drive shaft 180 degrees next.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:13 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

It could be that IF the previous owner drove around with unbalanced tires for too long they worn out "unbalanced".
Rebalancing would not make it any better.

New ones may be your only solution.
Are there any other S2000 owners around?
(Maybe post a request in a local forum)
They may let you drive on their wheels to try if the shaking stops.
And they may find their car starts to shake on your wheels & tires.
Worth a try (and cheap too)
Yeah.. I'm Dutch

(don't forget to swap tires again afterwards... )

Quick Reply: Pulsing shake or vibration from 73 - 88 mph