S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Pulsing shake or vibration from 73 - 88 mph

Old 08-29-2006, 11:21 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my case i've had 4 sets of rims/tires on my car. All the same result.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:22 AM

alignment issue? i remember when i had my old car (95 honda accord) it would start vibrating at higher speeds on the freeway. Once i got it aligned it all went away.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:27 AM

You could try to take it to a place that does on car balancing. Just remember that they have to spin both rear tires at the same time because of the differential. They should at least be able to diagnose where the vibration is if it can't be balanced by wheel weights.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:34 AM

Take each wheel off get a torque wrench and reset each of them. Sometimes dudes just use an air wrench to get them on. Use the star pattern, finger tight then a half turn each until you have to use the torque wrench. Mind the star pattern throughout. If that doesn't help and non of vipers ideas help, then it might just be a bad tire. it happens. I had a set of tires put on my GF civic and it vibrated badly. It was a brand new tire that was bad, it happens.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is also a 2002 and has this issue from 73 to 79mph. Not as bad though as some others I have driven. I have only noticed this on AP1's. I also have tried different rims and tires with no difference. I am starting to wonder if it is in the driveshaft or trans/clutch. Engine speed make no difference. You can be in nuetral and then vib is still there. I have driven Ubetit's car and we have the same vib. It pulses through the body. We all can't have bad wheel bearings, but it seams like it is the AP!'s with this issue.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:07 PM

I use to have this problem as well from 80+. What I notice on my car was that the little airsplitter, airguard or whatever you want to call it that is located in front of the front tire wasn't there! So the next day I went to Honda and ordered it and the shaking was gone!
Old 08-29-2006, 12:32 PM

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone ask about HOW the wheels were balanced. And this comment...
Originally Posted by therealciviczc
The tech did mention that a couple of them were off by a little, but nothing major at all.
...is a little disturbing.

I had a similar problem on a different car recently, and it didn't go away until I had the wheels balanced on a roadforce machine. That fixed the problem like magic. Shops with these machines can be hard to find -- one place to start looking is on the TireRack installation page, but ultimately you may have to make phone calls and ask. HPH
Old 08-29-2006, 12:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine and Ubetit's wheels have been balanced with Roadforce and no difference.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by david1,Aug 29 2006, 12:36 PM
Mine and Ubetit's wheels have been balanced with Roadforce and no difference.
Now I'm back to being worried. There has to be a solution to this. I may have to meet up with one of you two at a meet and see if its the same exact problem. With three of us trying we have to be able to figure this out, and hopefully that will eliminate some duplication of efforts and cost. There could only be so many factors. Mine is pretty bad. I'm not sure how you two are putting up with it, but I'm pretty annoyed with mine.

Tonight or tomorrow I plan to retorque the lugs, check torque on the axel nuts, and check torque on the rear subframe bolts (the cause mentioned by someone in an old thread).

I hate to even ask this, but is there any safe way to run a car with the rear off the ground to see if there is visable wobble? I do occasionally have access to a very nice service facility. Is it really safe to put a car on the rack and run it up to 70mph though?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Aug 29 2006, 12:32 PM
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone ask about HOW the wheels were balanced. And this comment...
Originally Posted by therealciviczc
The tech did mention that a couple of them were off by a little, but nothing major at all.
...is a little disturbing.

I had a similar problem on a different car recently, and it didn't go away until I had the wheels balanced on a roadforce machine. That fixed the problem like magic. Shops with these machines can be hard to find -- one place to start looking is on the TireRack installation page, but ultimately you may have to make phone calls and ask. HPH
It does sort of make me wonder about what someone else mentioned. Is it possible the tires have a slight wear from being off for so long. It doesn't feel that way, but its something to think about. I'd be ready to jump off a bridge if I paid several hundred for new tires and a balance only to still have the shakes though.

Its worth noting that he mentioned that two of them had been off. He got them correct. Just to clarify.

Quick Reply: Pulsing shake or vibration from 73 - 88 mph