S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Torque Sensor replacement

Old 12-27-2016, 03:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Guys, check out this link for more information

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...-574948/page8/
Old 12-27-2016, 04:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kKaz
From what I've heard talking to various honda service groups is that the AP2 part does NOT fit the AP1. Has anyone with an AP1 successfully replaced theirs with an AP2 part? My steering is starting to act up really bad, with the suspect being the EPS torque sensor.
Originally Posted by climhazzard
Well that's a bit confusing since it looks like aphex4000 (within this thread) used the AP2 part, but I'm not sure if his car is an AP1 or AP2.

On a related note, Rockauto has remanufactured (AC Delco) steering racks that appear to include the torque sensor. The entire rack is cheaper than the OEM sensor..but it is aftermarket. Anyone brave enough to try it?
Originally Posted by riceball777
I would like to know for sure if an ap2 torque sensor will fit my ap1. I have been dealing with steering issues for years now. The steering seem to be hard to turn one way but easy to turn the other way and some times when i start the car when cold the steering wheel will turn. This all only happnes when the car is cold and not warmed up so its not super bad but i would like to get it fixed.
There is a local I am "friends" with and he replaced his Ap1 torque sensor with a new AP2 CR sensor from Honda. Id like to say its been a solid 6-7 months hes had it on with Zero issues.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I successfully used a new AP2 torque sensor (pre-VSS 04-05) to replace my failed AP1 sensor. The replacement was pretty easy, took a couple of hours yesterday.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys. Glad to hear the AP2 sensor works on the AP1, or at least one version of it does anyway. I would love to know the difference between 53101-S2A-S01 and 53101-S2A-S01. The former seems to be for all 04+ non-CR models, whereas the latter is listed for the CR. I could be incorrect on all of this though.

Maybe Billman knows? Definitely interesting...
Old 01-06-2017, 04:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

is there a DIY to replace the torque sensor?
Old 01-08-2017, 03:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THere is a write up somewhere on the site... you will have to search... haven't found it back for a while.

Download the manual if you can find it.... looks like an easy job with the exception of getting a tool to loosen the very large lock nut above the sensor.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a n00b question, but does the Torque Sensor itself impact the steering ratio, or is that all handled further down in the rack itself? Trying to figure out what could be the difference(s) between the AP1 and AP2 sensors. There must be something if they updated the part numbers..you would think.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:23 AM

Repost, OK Everyone,,, This is really interesting. I jacked the car so that I could get under the front left side and reach the TS (Tension Sensor) which is just behind the front left tire. You don't have to remove the tire if you can get the car high enough to fit under. Looking straight up without removing anything there is the TS and it faces towards the driver on the steering shaft. There is a DUST COVER that keeps dirt out of the TS and it's internal bearings. It just slides on with no threads. Slide it back up the shaft towards the driver and you will see the internal bearing. The purple grease on top of the bearing was very dry and very thick. I cleaned out the old grease with a wooden stick like a Popsicle stick that I trimmed down and shot some WD 40 to loosen up the old grease which seemed to help removing the old grease. The only grease I had is regular lube grease that you would put lube a cars fittings with. There is probably a better grease but I do not know what it would be. I have the manual and it just says a grease point and does not say what type of grease. So I smeared this grease into the bearing as good as I could and pushed down the dust cover. I started driving the car and there was not much difference for the first few miles and the wheel would still shutter but not as intense. As I drove the car the next 20 miles the problem has almost gone completely away. I guess the grease has to work it's way down into that bearing.
Just an FYI .. My car is a Yellow 2002 with 30,200 total miles and I have owned it since new. When I took the car into the dealership (which was the FIRST ever problem with the car they told me it was the TS and they could not find one in the inventory or anywhere other than a used part and could not install a used part due to Honda's requirements. They also said this problem was well known issue according to Honda's hot line but could not fix this issue, so just brought the car home with a $130 charge.
Sorry for this long reply but I know those of you who are having this problem are very frustrated (like me) and want all the information they can find about it....If I have any negative changes to the car I will post here..
Good Luck... It's Jan 17th,2017 and the problem has TOTALLY gone away..It took about 20 miles for the lube to work it way into the TS.
Hi All, I posted this a couple of weeks ago in a different forum and wanted to find out if anyone has tried this and it fixed their TS issue other than mine?..
Thanks guys,
lachambers
The following 2 users liked this post by lachambers:
rbtz (04-19-2018), solitarycheese (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for your post lachambers, I will give that a try.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:52 AM

You are welcome. What were your issues? Please let me know if it helps..

Quick Reply: Torque Sensor replacement