S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Aging with your S2000

Old 07-21-2016, 04:10 PM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Talk to Looter he has them as well
Old 07-21-2016, 05:53 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

I smashed my lower back up fairly badly when I was in the Marine Corps. I got turned on to one of these by an English mechanic for the SABA bicycle team in England. I bought mine in 1983 and it's impact on improving my daily life is almost miraculous. Try one.

I do 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes at night. When my back goes out, sometimes I can fully correct it just by getting upside down for 15 minutes ad hoc.

Best Fitness Inversion Table

Old 08-06-2016, 04:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hecash
I smashed my lower back up fairly badly when I was in the Marine Corps. I got turned on to one of these by an English mechanic for the SABA bicycle team in England. I bought mine in 1983 and it's impact on improving my daily life is almost miraculous. Try one.

I do 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes at night. When my back goes out, sometimes I can fully correct it just by getting upside down for 15 minutes ad hoc.

LOL. I've got one of those exact models. I've not used it regularly.

15 minutes, twice a day..... Wow. That seems like a lot. Thanks for the reminder. I'll reinvigorate my usage.

The jury is still out on the BackJoy. The sciatica has progressed to a completely different state which while better than before, it is still an issue.

I'll report in on the progress with the BackJoy and the inversion table.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:15 AM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

I have a misaligned L2 disc that presses against the nerve channel but not all the time. My Dr. put me on an inflammatory Omeprazolr DR 20mg and it has really helped. He wanted to try this before using Cortisone or possible surgery. I also met Tom Daneilson a pro bike racer who wrote a book on core training (Core training for cyclists) on amazon. This training strengthens the core especially the back area and helped him with the back pain he was palgued with for years. I do them and they really help. I now cycle a lot and have a detailing business. I do use a pneumatic chair which helps with all the bending over I do while detailing. Good luck with trying to get this situation corrected.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
I have a misaligned L2 disc that presses against the nerve channel but not all the time. My Dr. put me on an inflammatory Omeprazole DR 20mg and it has really helped. He wanted to try this before using Cortisone or possible surgery. I also met Tom Daneilson a pro bike racer who wrote a book on core training (Core training for cyclists) on amazon. This training strengthens the core especially the back area and helped him with the back pain he was plagued with for years. I do them and they really help. I now cycle a lot and have a detailing business. I do use a pneumatic chair which helps with all the bending over I do while detailing. Good luck with trying to get this situation corrected.
Still not certain if the backjoy is helping or not. At this juncture, I can sit in the car for about 30 minutes before the problems start.

I have a prescription for Diclofenac which helps, but I only take it when I need it. Your Dr. prescribed Omeprazole DR for a back problem? A quick innerweb check indicates it is used for treatment of GERD. Interesting.

Thanks for the reference to the Danielson core method. I did a quick review on Google books and a lot of his exercises are things I'm doing in yoga. I'll go ahead and get a copy though, because I need to broaden my daily exercise regimen to include more core strengthening routines.

I'm not far putting Jessica down for her winter's rest. In the spring when she revives, if I still cannot sit in it for extended periods, I'm most likely going to sell her.

Appreciate all the assistance. I love this part of the S2KI forum!

cheers,
Old 03-14-2017, 04:40 AM

A late winter update.

Firstly, the backjoy really didn't seem to make a difference. What did help was one of these:

Otherwise, things had not improved much for a while, but I've been going to yoga classes and enjoying them. I'm much stronger and more flexible than before, which is a big plus.

In January, I was feeling a little better and pushed my daily stretches a bit ...... too much. Triggered a perturbation which was fairly severe. I decided to take a couple of days off to see how that might play out.

I went 5 days without any sort of stretching, and decided to restart using an app recommended by a friend, Yoga Studio. I had downloaded it onto my tablet a while back but never really done anything with it. I picked out a 15 minute morning stretch and a 15 minute beginner combination. In conjuction, I picked out a 60 minute beginner combo to do on Fridays (I take classes on Monday and Wednesday) or when I couldn't get to class.

I started using the app on a trip to New Orleans. I did the 60 minute routine on Monday evening as I wasn't able to go to my class. I did the morning stretch the next morning and noticed that the spasming that had been a constant companion for the past 1+ years had dissipated. It had done this for short periods before, so I didn't make much of it, but unlike in the past the spasms did not return.

The next Monday I went to class and my instructor came over and said "you are feeling better aren't you?". I asked "is it that obvious?" "Oh yes...".

So, I've been doing the morning/evening practices daily in conjunction with my scheduled classes and the long one on Friday and I feel better than I have in literally years.

I've only gotten to drive Jessica a couple of short stints since then, but I'm cautiously optimistic as there has been no discomfort.

The fly in the ointment is my wife bought a MDX in the fall so I fell heir to her '05 Pilot and I'm very comfortable driving it. In the past I had a '03 Sienna to drive in the winter which I hated, so it was always a big push to get back to driving Jessica. There definitely won't be that urge with the Pilot.

The happy news is it doesn't seem like the value of the S is declining. Definitely one with low (22k) miles. So, at this juncture, my motivation to sell her has dissipated, but I'm still not certain I can get my head around having what amounts to a toy sitting in the garage. Time will tell.

Thanks all for the moral support.

cheers,
Old 03-14-2017, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by cdubea
A late winter update.

Firstly, the backjoy really didn't seem to make a difference. What did help was one of these:

Otherwise, things had not improved much for a while, but I've been going to yoga classes and enjoying them. I'm much stronger and more flexible than before, which is a big plus.

In January, I was feeling a little better and pushed my daily stretches a bit ...... too much. Triggered a perturbation which was fairly severe. I decided to take a couple of days off to see how that might play out.

I went 5 days without any sort of stretching, and decided to restart using an app recommended by a friend, Yoga Studio. I had downloaded it onto my tablet a while back but never really done anything with it. I picked out a 15 minute morning stretch and a 15 minute beginner combination. In conjuction, I picked out a 60 minute beginner combo to do on Fridays (I take classes on Monday and Wednesday) or when I couldn't get to class.

I started using the app on a trip to New Orleans. I did the 60 minute routine on Monday evening as I wasn't able to go to my class. I did the morning stretch the next morning and noticed that the spasming that had been a constant companion for the past 1+ years had dissipated. It had done this for short periods before, so I didn't make much of it, but unlike in the past the spasms did not return.

The next Monday I went to class and my instructor came over and said "you are feeling better aren't you?". I asked "is it that obvious?" "Oh yes...".

So, I've been doing the morning/evening practices daily in conjunction with my scheduled classes and the long one on Friday and I feel better than I have in literally years.

I've only gotten to drive Jessica a couple of short stints since then, but I'm cautiously optimistic as there has been no discomfort.

The fly in the ointment is my wife bought a MDX in the fall so I fell heir to her '05 Pilot and I'm very comfortable driving it. In the past I had a '03 Sienna to drive in the winter which I hated, so it was always a big push to get back to driving Jessica. There definitely won't be that urge with the Pilot.

The happy news is it doesn't seem like the value of the S is declining. Definitely one with low (22k) miles. So, at this juncture, my motivation to sell her has dissipated, but I'm still not certain I can get my head around having what amounts to a toy sitting in the garage. Time will tell.

Thanks all for the moral support.

cheers,
Keep up the good work. Yoga is great for back issues. I do core training exercises which have helped immensely. Hopefully you will one day be able to drive the S2000 again. Good Luck.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:31 AM

Received 1,425 Likes on 955 Posts

"Your Dr. prescribed Omeprazole DR for a back problem?"

More than likely the Omeprazole was prescribed to counter the bad stomach side-effect, by some anti-inflammatory agent (like Motrin) or a steroid.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
"Your Dr. prescribed Omeprazole DR for a back problem?"

More than likely the Omeprazole was prescribed to counter the bad stomach side-effect, by some anti-inflammatory agent (like Motrin) or a steroid.
Correct, I take a product to counter the forming of ulcers when I take my inflammatory med.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdubea
The short trip back and forth to work is no issue, but my son and I did an all day drive for Father's day and by the end I was miserable.
I've never found the S2000 to be great for all day drives. It's a wonderful 4 cylinder engine, but it's still a 4 cylinder engine, with all the vibration that implies.

Well, unless you do the all day drive in half a day, that is.

Quick Reply: Aging with your S2000