S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The "D" steering wheel

Old 03-16-2017, 09:58 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I went with the Honda VGS one...

Old 03-16-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugsy
I went with the Honda VGS one...

That is sexy!
Old 03-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

We can make the VGS wheel style if you want - without the hassle of cutting/welding a new SPLING since the VGS wheel cannot be used on a USDM car without work. Plus our wheels are significantly thicker than any other wheel on the market.

Just an FYI since we have a VGS wheel here and this is one of the reasons we started building the flat bottom wheel. Also our wheel proportion is different and much thicker than the VGS.

*not to take away from the VGS wheel owners, just letting people know it's NOT a direct swap or the same thing

Name:  s2000%20CR_3_zpsn0q0gdwn.jpg
Views: 4728
Size:  1.92 MB

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@euroboutique/videos
Follow-Us Instagram/Facebook: https://www.instagram.com/euroboutique/

Old 03-16-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep. A lot of work and money to get the VGS wheel to go.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:41 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Seems fine in a competition vehicle where one rarely has to move hands from 3 and 9. But in a street car where hand-over-hand operation is often required, seems like it would be a bit counter-productive, at least until one got used to it. As others have pointed out, main benefits seem to be ease of entry/exit and coolness factor. But then again having never driven a car with such a wheel, I am no authority on the matter.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:41 AM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Mike, as I mentioned, I had to check if I had the D wheel, actual operation impact is virtually non-existent.
a much more profound impact are the thumb notches on the wheel.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:01 AM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroBoutique
Thought we will chime in here since we build these wheels

Our wheels are not technically D-shaped wheels. This was a term from the past because people were cutting the bottom of the wheels and thus the D-shape.

We build our wheels with NO CUTTING. We are careful in designing each wheel that is proportional to it's overall shape. This creates a flat bottom wheel that gives owners ADDED legroom and more grip on the wheel when turning.

The flat top you see in the photo above is just one extra "option" we give owners to personalize their car. As with any mod such as wheels or body kits, all tastes are subjective to each owner as there is no right or wrong answer. The flat top and bottom does give tremendous grip on the steering wheel at all angles when you grab the wheel. All of our wheels feature a thicker more robust grip created NOT by adding fabric or foam which makes for a Pep Boys feeling wheel cover. We actually rebuild the actual base foam core.

We use the same materials in our s2000 wheels as our exotic lineup for Lambo, R8, Ferrari, McLaren, etc.

Carbon Fiber is a great material and we can also build these with a matte finish if needed. We do offer these in any number of combination of materials such as rich leather, perforated leather, Alcantara and other choice materials. Each wheel is hand fabricated to each owner's exact specs so none of these are mass produced.

What you end up is a unique center piece that you get to appreciate, look and touch every day!

Please visit our website as we build wheels for anything on 4-wheels from a Ford F-150 to a Lamborghini

www.euroboutique.us

here's a few more samples:

Quick sample of our wheel for the big brother NSX:

Now, we're talking. I love my S2000 stock steering wheel but hate the one in my NSX. Notice the placement of the horn buttons? Every time I've needed the horn it wasn't in the center and I didn't get it honked. Stupid design for horn placement! Too bad it's still in the same place but I do like the chubby wheel. The stock NSX one is thin and big.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:04 AM

Received 1,413 Likes on 767 Posts

I agree with you about the horn buttons, Patty. Some owners are retrofitting their NSX with an S steering wheel for the reasons you mentioned. It seems like a pretty involved job, though.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:10 AM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
I agree with you about the horn buttons, Patty. Some owners are retrofitting their NSX with an S steering wheel for the reasons you mentioned. It seems like a pretty involved job, though.
Yeah, I knew one guy here who did that. I just don't want to butcher the car.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:04 AM
Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Yeah, I knew one guy here who did that. I just don't want to butcher the car.
No need to "butcher" the car ~ we sell a billet adapter kit for the s2000 wheel to fit on the NSX with no cutting! You can see more on our website!

https://euroboutique.us/collections/...sx-adapter-kit

The stock NSX wheel is quite large and very thin. In the photo above we completely rebuilt the wheel with a new base foam core that is not only thicker but has much more aggressive grips for easy turning. It's almost a no brainer in terms of what you gain and nothing lost. The horns are a bit odd on the NSX but nothing you can't get used to. On the Huracan for example the turn signals are on the steering wheel similar to how most motorcycles operate. Took a bit to get used to but it's almost intuitive now and wonder how you can go back to hitting a stalk

Here's a NSX with one of our custom s2000 steering wheels featuring Sport thicker grip, flat bottom, Carbon and Alcantara - looks amazing! It's a real tossup between our upgraded NSX wheel or an s2000 upgraded wheel, take your pick!

Name:  NSX%20with%20s2000%20CF%20wheel_zpsevstboew.jpg
Views: 2622
Size:  124.7 KB

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@euroboutique/videos
Follow-Us Instagram/Facebook: https://www.instagram.com/euroboutique/

Quick Reply: The "D" steering wheel