S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

F1 Champ Rosberg Retires!

Old 12-05-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 4,960 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by trapper
"I've never been a driver to ever request that. I know a lot of the other drivers – Sebastian, Fernando – make sure that is in their contracts. I've just always asked to have equal rights so as long as we're treated fairly it doesn't really matter who is alongside me. We've got great team bosses who I am sure will choose the right people to be represent the brand."

Another reason to consider him "a driver's driver" - no special needs; just an equal car.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:17 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

A really good driver knows that in an equal contest he will prevail,simply because he is better.

although i still think he would have a word with Nicki Lauda asking if he had really thought this through.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:39 AM

Interesting take on Rosberg's retirement.

Nico Rosberg Is the Biggest Disappointment of 2016 - The Drive
Old 01-03-2017, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04

In short, Nico finally measured up to Dad
He'll never have to listen to 'you had such a good opportunity"
Old 01-03-2017, 05:38 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Mike Guy isn't just a hater, he's a douche. Who the hell is he to judge someone for wanting to quit on top? WTF is this crap about needing to defend the title next year to show "respect" to the sport? Yeah, go out and risk your life again next year 'cause that's the "right thing to do." For what? He isn't out there saving lives, he running a series of high speed parade laps where one mistake can be catastrophic. Here is the paragraph where I stopped reading:

"These pundits don’t have the guts to call out Rosberg for what he is: a semi-royal too spoiled grind it out, too coddled to stick around and protect a championship that was handed to him by Paddy Lowe and deep-pocketed Team Mercedes AMG Petronas. Paddy & Co. built a car so completely dominant that any F1 driver could have driven it to a podium finish just about every week. To not stick around and defend your first championship is a betrayal of the sport."

So what is there to defend, Guy? By your own words he previously had an unexceptional career and only won because he was given a car that ANY F1 DRIVER could have driven to a podium finish every week. If the car is that great he has nothing to defend because ANY driver can do it and it had nothing to do with him. If the car and the team is so great then he didn't let anyone down because Mercedes can go out and get ANY F1 driver to replace him and take the title next year. The good news is this, Guy. You can retire any time. You have nothing to defend.

The bottom line here is simple. Rosberg had a goal, he worked hard to achieve it, and now he wants to move on with his life. Everyone else can just shut up.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:52 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Mike Guy isn't just a hater, he's a douche
X2....

The bottom line here is simple. Rosberg had a goal, he worked hard to achieve it, and now he wants to move on with his life. Everyone else can just shut up.
X2 ... Also
Old 01-04-2017, 07:14 AM

Bill and others, although I understand your position I have to disagree with you. From the first time I saw a flagman waive off a group of cars I have been hooked on racing. It started with quarter mile dirt tracks in PA and exploded when I attended the 1961 LeMans. As a spectator or crewmember I have attended nearly every major race track in the country. I have followed the sport of F1 though Autoweek and R&T since I was in my teens. I can think of dozens drivers I would gladly call my heros. Only a very non- passionate race car driver could say – Ok, I did that, good-bye. Personally, I wouldn’t walk across the street to shake his hand, Rosberg is no hero of mine.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:26 AM

I think he made the excuse that his family was reason he retired but in reality he knew he couldn’t repeat his success and he couldn’t handle the pressure anymore. That's not to take away his accomplishment as it's something to be proud of; but none-the-less he was a kid of privilege and never had to make the sacrifices so many do who really love the sport heart and soul.

Last edited by dlq04; 01-04-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Bill and others, although I understand your position I have to disagree with you. From the first time I saw a flagman waive off a group of cars I have been hooked on racing. It started with quarter mile dirt tracks in PA and exploded when I attended the 1961 LeMans. As a spectator or crewmember I have attended nearly every major race track in the country. I have followed the sport of F1 though Autoweek and R&T since I was in my teens. I can think of dozens drivers I would gladly call my heros. Only a very non- passionate race car driver could say – Ok, I did that, good-bye. Personally, I wouldn’t walk across the street to shake his hand, Rosberg is no hero of mine.
If he derives his sense of self from what others think of him, I'm sure he'll be disappointed to learn this. If he gets it from his own accomplishments, them I'm sure he'll be fine. As I said earlier in this thread, maybe he wants to try racing for a change instead of being the intermission act for the pit-stop show.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:34 PM

My question is, knowing that he was about to walk away from the team, would Mercedes have acted any differently towards Nico in the race with Lewis?

Quick Reply: F1 Champ Rosberg Retires!