S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Third Annual West LA Sports Car Meet...

Old 07-31-2001, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you that didn't make it out, it was a great time. 150 miles of canyon driving with some of the fastest street cars in America. I'd estimate about 500 or so cars showed up for the start of the run and about half of those actually went on the canyon run. Some very rare cars were there including a 2000 Mustang Cobra R, a new Porsche Turbo, a Ferrari 550, and an old Porsche Spider (200 hp, 1200 lbs). At the end of the day, there were quite a few damaged cars. I believe the final body count was 10 cars damaged to varying degrees (from small dents to totalled) and one RC51 totalled with the rider airlifted off the mountain.

I almost got rear ended twice by people that didn't expect my car to brake as well as it does (R4S pads), but other than that I had no close calls and managed to keep up with the fastest of the pack except for Sean from Motorex who was driving like a psycho on crack. Up in our pack at the front, we had Sean in an R32 Skyline with moderate modifications (including a full coilover suspension), followed by Russ Matusavich in his silver Viper, John from AEM in his NSX, another NSX from AEM (didn't catch the guy's name), and a guy in a modified S4 that was doing pretty well until his tires started melting.

One of the highlights of the day (other than the guy with the Cobra R totalling his ride) was seeing Justin in his heavily modified R33 Skyline miss the turnoff for the first stop... at 175 mph. The car sounded like an F16 as it passed us. We heard no engine noise whatsoever because the wind noise from the aerodynamic drag was so loud.

The advantage to being in front of this big of a pack is that we were already off the mountain when CHP set up road blocks for the rest of our group and started handing out no front plate tickets.

When the day was done, I had burned about 3/4 of a quart of oil, plenty of tire rubber, and enough brake material that the brakes were smoking like a bbq at the first stop (we had to keep rolling the car around to keep the rotors from warping).

Anyway, I didn't take very many pictures, but other people did - here are a few links...
Photopoint link...
Some more pictures
More pictures (good pictures of Cobra R and Subaru 2.5 RS crash)

The casualties, as far as I know, are as follows:
1 300 ZX (rear-ended a Saleen on the 405 while en route to the canyons - dumbass)
1 Saleen (rear-ended by the aforementioned 300ZX - bad luck to get followed by such a moron)
1 Mustand Cobra R (yes, the real deal factory race car - near totalled if not totalled after misjudging a turn and ending up in the guardrail)
1 Subaru 2.5 RS (was following the Cobra R... and followed him right into the guardrail - totalled)
1 Eclipse (from what I hear, him and an RX-7 played a little game of chicken and this guy lost... possibly landed upside down, but I've seen no pictures)
1 Camaro SS (from what I hear, went offroad and landed shiney-side-down, but I've seen no pictures of this either)
1 Supra (got into some sh!t with an RC-51 and an F-Body, not too badly damaged)
1 Honda RC51 (got into some sh!t with a Supra and lost... bike totalled, rider airlifted off mountain)
1 F-Body (couldn't tell if it was a camaro or firebird, but it got tangled up with the Supra and RC51 I guess... I didn't see any real damage)
1 NSX (When our group pulled off road to rest, he came in a little too quick to stop on dirt and just barely slid into Russ' Viper... very minor damage, but some damage nonetheless)
1 Viper (got hit on the rear quarter by the NSX)
Old 07-31-2001, 07:43 AM

Hehehe... here's a funny pictures someone got of me trying to get up the driveway into the parking lot at the meeting spot... My car isn't as low as it looks in the picture, but it's tilting around from me trying to creep up without scraping (unsuccessfully) and the weight was all sitting on the back left.

Anyway...
click here (photopoint)
Old 07-31-2001, 08:06 AM

More pictures...
Old 07-31-2001, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was feeling bad that I didn't make it out (I had to finish prepping my CRX for Thunderhill tomorrow). However, after your description, I'm thinking that I was fortunate not to go. I don't think my tires would have made it through the day.

UL
Old 07-31-2001, 08:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the report / pics.
Old 07-31-2001, 10:09 AM

Looks like you had a good time Rev. Glad to see that there were a few S2Ks out there representing.

That's too bad about the accident and the cops.
Old 07-31-2001, 10:26 AM

You guys are freaken nutz!!! I would have been hanging way in the back, I don't want to wreck my car or MYSELF! Hope the guy on the bike is OK.

Andy
Old 07-31-2001, 11:32 AM

Most of us in the front were keeping ourselves well within our limits. Sean from Motorex was not, but that's why none of us were keeping up with him very well. There was a section of the drive where we were near the top of the mountain, above 7000 ft. There were no guardrails, and if you went off the road, your ass was headed right back down to sea level in a hurry. I damn near crapped myself on that part of the drive because the roads were so scary. I slowed down quite a bit during that part. Sean was pulling 4 wheel drifts through there. He's no pro driver - not by any stretch of the imagination... in fact I've seen him loose control of a car on a straight road at under 40 mph (it was really pathetic). He's just f-ing crazy.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:49 AM

I own u at Dromo, Rev.

Ryan
Old 07-31-2001, 12:01 PM
S2R

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Quick Reply: Third Annual West LA Sports Car Meet...