S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Damaged Valve Guides - What to do?

Old 02-25-2017, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged Valve Guides - What to do?

Well, after 115,000 miles my AP1 has ended up with bent valves and damaged valve guides. I'm told the guides can be replaced but there's a good chance the head will be damaged in the process. I've looked all over the country for a replacement head and there are none to be found. I could replace the engine but will have to pay someone to do it as I don't have the know-how or tools. Can anyone give me some direction? Should I sell it for parts?
Old 02-25-2017, 11:24 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I've got a F22 head with 34k miles on it that I'd sell. It has some minor pitting on one combustion chamber from piston ring fail, but it can be smoothes out and corrected easily/cheaply from a machinist. Swap your cams and tree over and it's an upgrade. The other option, just pay someone trustworthy to replace your valvetrain. I think that will ultimately cost you more then a used good head, but it's better then a used complete motor you don't need.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:49 PM

How much for the head? Can you send me pics of the pitting?
Old 02-25-2017, 02:13 PM

Just curious about the F22 head being an upgrade. Is it because of the valve springs or larger valves, are ports bigger? Just curious in case I come across one to build, thanks.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

valve guides are easily replaced by a competent shop, find a new shop...
Old 02-25-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Know how? It's a driveshaft, four bolts on the engine mount, whatever trans mount, elect. Connections, headers, and intake and IM connections. You were able to diagnose bad valve guides but can't pull an engine? Not to Insult here, just think ur over thinking how easy a stock swap is.

I also vouch for a guide swap.
Edit: Sounds fishy, x2 find a new shop, 2nd opinion

Edit: I had already figured someone else diagnosed your guides. Sorry you felt questioned, was more trying to inspire or motivate you. Although a complete engine swap for guides would be kinda over the top. Almost wanted to question u if the shop told u to do an engine swap or (suggest) instead (motive to spend extra money their) it happens. Its better to have the complete story ....No, but your wallet might. GL

Last edited by MorngWoodStewie; 02-26-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:02 AM

Look cowboy, a performance shop did the testing and found the damaged guides. They told me the guides could be replaced but wouldn't warrant the work. They said to expect failure. Get off your high-horse and stop questioning my abilities. This forum doesn't need your attitude.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:48 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by I'mNotMe
How much for the head? Can you send me pics of the pitting?
PM sent
Old 02-26-2017, 09:53 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by C4vettrn
Just curious about the F22 head being an upgrade. Is it because of the valve springs or larger valves, are ports bigger? Just curious in case I come across one to build, thanks.
The bare head themselves are the same port sizes/breathing from 00-05. Its the valve retainers/keepers which are beefier. Ap1 were known to crack. I do believe the F22 head has longer more substantial guides as well, which aids in valve stem longevity, which all adds up to less oil seepage through the guides over mileage duration.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
valve guides are easily replaced by a competent shop, find a new shop...
Frank at AJC manchine shop in Orlando has now done Valve guides on a couple S2000 heads for track use. He's not internet savy so my be a big of luck dealing with him. I had Kent at Racing System up in Georgia do Valve Guides on my K series head (very similar). Also I see no reason why a shop like Team 4 Piston couldn't do Valve guides. I imagine they remove them to port the heads so no doubt they replace them afterwards.

Quick Reply: Damaged Valve Guides - What to do?