S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

S2000 Challenge Series - FINAL CLASSIFICATION

Old 12-16-2001, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks,

This is the final classification system for the first S2000 Challenge Series event at Buttonwillow, January 26,27. If anyone wants some changes made to the system before the event, you must contact me by the 23rd of December (at which point it will become final final for the first event).

How many of you out there are thinking of running, but haven't signed up yet? We've got twelve S2000's signed up so far. I'd like to start classing everyone and seeing how many we'll have in each class.

Remember, this is just for fun, so don't worry about getting beaten by your friends! Come on out and use the timing to benchmark and improve your skills. If you've never driven with timing before, you'll find that it makes a big difference in how you drive (not by making you reckless and dangerous). Timing allows you to try different techniques and see which actually results in faster lap times.

So, here's the latest system, which has very few changes, except some clarification in the PRODUCTION class and the increase in allowable rear tire width to 255 (to accomodate available A032r, RA-1, and Kumho tire sizes).

Hope to hear from many of you soon.

Thanks,
dt

S2000 Challenge Series Classification (Event #1)

No changes are allowed to a car unless they are listed below. If a component or other modification is listed below, any type (or size) of that component is allowed, unless otherwise noted (ie.
Old 12-19-2001, 12:08 AM

Would xviper's heat shield, radiator mat, or whatever it's called (thermal insulation placed in front of the air intake) be considered a mod? If so, points?

I will be running in modified class--don't feel like lugging my trailer up there since I'll be doing other traveling/sightseeing.

cal
Old 12-20-2001, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are you going to ding me for my soon to be installed flywheel?
Old 12-20-2001, 03:35 PM

Calc, Cthree:

I'm not sure how many points should be applied for the heat shields. As you can probably tell, my general inclincation is to put 3pts on anything that I have no idea what else to do with it, assuming it has any potential performance improvment. So we'll make that 3pts as well as cthree's flywheel until we hear otherwise from those with firm opinions on these matters.

Obviously we have to give some points to them and both of you should make sure you're not bumping up against the points limit, but it doesn't look like either of you are close. Am I wrong?

Calc, I have you at around 57 pts, which is well within the limit, unless there's more not listed on your post.

dt
Old 12-21-2001, 09:15 PM

Actually, my CAI is not installed and I don't plan on installing it anytime soon, but I will be adding the radmat I asked about. So I'm well below the mod max.

cal
Old 12-24-2001, 03:12 PM
Administrator

I'm @ 48 pts I think.
Old 12-24-2001, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Any thoughts yet on how to translate points to time (ie. seconds/mile type handicapping). Surely I'm not going to get banged for 48 sec/mile over stock, maybe 4.8 s might make sense. Just curious.
Old 12-24-2001, 10:53 PM

My understanding was that if you had more points than the maximum allowed for mod class, you simply got bumped into the next class. Was I wrong? A time penalty would seem awfully cumbersome to manage--makes me wonder if there's going to be a protest system!

cal
Old 12-25-2001, 08:49 PM
Administrator

So I guess then I should mod up to 77 points using the highest gain/lowest penalty parts (cat-back is definately out). That would put me even with a stock S2000 with just a cat-back. Bored throttle body, thermostat and CAI here I come! I'm not complaining or suggesting, just asking.
Old 12-25-2001, 10:22 PM

Only problem is, we'd have to take most of that junk off to compete in SCCA A-stock (or B-stock in 2002, I guess).

cal

Quick Reply: S2000 Challenge Series - FINAL CLASSIFICATION