UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

MB goes racing 2016

Old 12-27-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought you gave up on ITBs a year or so bad due to issues? Are these Toda ones more 'plug and play'?
Old 12-27-2015, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tip from kit car world

Eleccy water pump and Dhiatsu charade denso alternator netted a 13kg weight saving, plus less parasitic drag from the engine, plus sacking the pulley tensioner off.

As for the ITBs, filters seem to rob the gains pretty well. Yanks are using tea strainers which is an age old trick anyway.

I'll get to Oulton and Anglesey providing I'm not busy myself
Old 12-27-2015, 11:09 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig.h
Awesome! Be good too see the difference the itb's make!

Any update on the weight loss?

I can't speak for everyone but I thoroughly enjoy reading/watching the development of a legit race car! Great inspiration for more than just me I'm sure!

All the best for 2016 :thumbsup:
Thanks Craig. Well the ITBs weigh a fair bit less than my old setup, and the headlights are coming out but prob not much more than that this year due to budget restraints!

Originally Posted by ADAM_ROB_UK
I thought you gave up on ITBs a year or so bad due to issues? Are these Toda ones more 'plug and play'?
The last set I had took a lot of work to fit and I probably didn't have the engine mods to warrant them. The Toda quality is stunning and probably the only S2000 ITBs that are actually designed to fit an S2000, as opposed to ones designed to just fit the F20 (ie not an S2000 engine bay) It's difficult to list the points but they are so well thought out. ITBs are still pretty major surgery and there's a lot to consider, which Toda have. I also spoke to them and Js racing at length, as they use them on their own 2.2 and 2.4 litre cars, so I was sure they would work on my 2.2

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Tip from kit car world

Eleccy water pump and Dhiatsu charade denso alternator netted a 13kg weight saving, plus less parasitic drag from the engine, plus sacking the pulley tensioner off.

As for the ITBs, filters seem to rob the gains pretty well. Yanks are using tea strainers which is an age old trick anyway.

I'll get to Oulton and Anglesey providing I'm not busy myself
Hi Ron, ta for that. I don't use the tensioner so that's gone. I'm not a fan of electric pumps though so won't be doing that.

I have the Toda strainers and socks, but I doubt I will use them. I will try them on the dyno to try and dispel some myths about filtration though. It's key not to disturb air coming around the rear of the trumpet though, and for that reason I'm using a large plenum and no filters on the ITBs themselves. The filter will be a lot further away.

The Js intake has a 100mm dia opening as opposed to Toda's 90mm.

Btw, I'm not expecting any more peak power from this little lot, it was really to sort out the issues I was having with the manifold cracking and throttle sticking. Bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut but hey ho.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oooh that looks exciting!!

I'm so glad you didn't jack it all in when you didn't have much time last year!

Hope you get to find some gains this time with the ITBs, I assume Romain is doing the mapping?
Old 12-27-2015, 11:48 PM
MB

Hi mate, yep Romain is mapping. He's going to idle map it remotely from my garage this week then full mapping once the intake arrives
Old 12-28-2015, 12:31 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Sweet!! Good luck for 2016 and I'll try to make Coombe in Feb.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:42 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Have a great season, Mark.

Nice to see someone sticking with the old beast - the one the experts wrote off as being too roadster, too heavy, too twitchy, not an Integra, etc...
Old 12-28-2015, 03:09 AM
MB

Thanks Nick! Yes it makes a great contrast to the grid and the beast can be tamed with a few tweaks! Just need an NSX now

CynicG, I hope to be there - if Js Racing pull their finger out with the intake!
Old 12-28-2015, 03:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fantastic good to see your doing well Mega Bummer and pushing the limits of the engine, stroking wasn't allowed was it? P
Old 12-28-2015, 04:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That Intake looks the part alright!

If you do sack off your headlights DIBS lol

Quick Reply: MB goes racing 2016