UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

MB goes racing 2017

Old 01-08-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Feel your pain,i missed the J"s by mins
Mattie only lived up the road as well
Old 01-08-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I'll keep my eyes on FS then and conveniently just down the road

Good luck again for 2017
Old 01-08-2017, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi mark, has the reg's changed over the years? in regards aerodynamics..

looking at the regulations it seems flat floors and big wings put you into tuner class. but looking back at your previous years, you had those and ran in production class, im trying to find where i can be competetive within my budget, tuner would be nice, but my budget may not stretch to get the car competetive!

good luck with 2017! will be watching the thread!
Old 01-08-2017, 11:29 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi mate, are you going to race prep the S?

Yep the regs changed to not allow aero mods in Production, which I agree with. Production is great as it's so even. So in Tuner you can have aero mods and quite a bit of other stuff. It's really only sequential boxes and engine swaps which put you in Super Tuner.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:55 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

So you moving to super tuner?
Old 01-08-2017, 08:34 PM
MB

Yes mate, due to the box. I've never been too fussed on the class for the last couple of years though, it's now all about outright wins!
Old 01-09-2017, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MB
Hi mate, are you going to race prep the S?

Yep the regs changed to not allow aero mods in Production, which I agree with. Production is great as it's so even. So in Tuner you can have aero mods and quite a bit of other stuff. It's really only sequential boxes and engine swaps which put you in Super Tuner.

hi mate, yes I'm aiming to build the car to be at a spec which would be competitive, as for the driver! Id be nowhere near! Haha! My shell is being prepped for a custom cages cage as we speak, by CDS not t45 as my pockets aren't as deep as I suspect yours are.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those ratios are spot on.

It's interesting to see all the changes for this season and even more interesting to see how they affect your performance. Good luck Mark!
Old 02-10-2017, 02:52 AM
MB

So a bit of news...

Ive made the decision to not race the S2000 this year. It's a bit of a u turn but several reasons and I think it's the right call. The first one is the engine is taking a while and I'm running out of weekends to get it sent back, fitted, car then needs to be run in, then get the car mapped, then bring it back for final bits. I've been at this 5 seasons now and I don't think people realise the huge amount of logistic involved in racing and maintains a car, but it's a huge effort. I'm one of the few who manages the car pretty much on my own on a race weekend too. Especially with a busy job. The other side of that is the physical logistics of testing and race weekends. I work up in Scotland, so often fly back on a Thursday / Friday, have to load the car and all my gear up, get to the circuit, unload it all etc, then get back late on a Sunday to fly back up north. The car then always needs a bit of tlc inbeteeen race weekends so again ordering its, trialering to over to Veysport and back again etc. In summary it's hard graft and think it's taken its toll, and I need a break

On the plus side, I've decided to race my R300 in the main Caterham championship. I'm probably moving it to Macmillan motorsport for them to manage the car. It's expensive but I can race on an arrive and drive basis, and don't really have to lift a finger. They transport it, fuel it, repair it, take it through scrutineering. All I do is turn up A hell of a lot less stress!

The Caterham championship is quite high profile and gets Channel 4 coverage. Some very very quick drivers too, and the main benefit is that all the cars are the same, and only real difference is geo and who wants to spend more on tyres and testing. It's a better gauge of the driver than the Honda series, and whilst I don't think I will be mega quick, I'm keen to see where I am.

Seven 420r Championship | Caterham Cars

So apologies you won't get to see any S2000 action this year, and will see what the future holds and how this year goes!
Old 02-10-2017, 04:20 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry to hear this - but it does sound like a well deserved break! Good luck with the Caterham!

Quick Reply: MB goes racing 2017