UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Medium Blasting

Old 02-08-2017, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Medium Blasting

Hello all,

Just wondering to the guys who have done undersealing work ect to their cars or anyone who has used sand/medium blasting equipment before.

I was looking at options for hiring some kit out. A company called Brandon tool hire have a small portable grit blaster which for just over £150 (Plus extra for the bags of medium) I can get the blaster and a compressor for a day. There are other companies that have more industrial blasting equipment but they bigger capacity compressors which will work out to be pretty expensive.

Just wondering if you think it will be man enough to strip back the under seal from the factory and get back to bare metal?

Micro Grit Blaster - Tool Hire, Equipment Hire, Lifting Hire, Plumbing & Pipe Hire - Brandon Tool Hire
Old 02-08-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Most medium blasters won't remove underseal as a lot are rubber based and the underseal is usually the one thing that gets left behing
Old 02-08-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
Most medium blasters won't remove underseal as a lot are rubber based and the underseal is usually the one thing that gets left behing

underseal is is designed to be resilient to stone chipping which is what grit blasting is. The kit is just too low powered.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:01 PM

whats the best way or getting it off?
Old 02-08-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Scrape where needed and then underseal.
if it does not flake off its keyed in ok from factory.
There is not a lot under there anyway to need blasting,and will make clouds of mess..
wire brush on a drill or hand wire brush is ok to get worst loose stuff off.
Hired a genie lift from Brandon tool hire,you must be local
Old 02-08-2017, 02:33 PM

I'm in Milton Keynes, if you check my thread I'm doing a bit of a restoration/save the car project going on

Trying to get all the prep work done prior to handing it to the body shop to get the inner arches replaced.

now one I have the rear subframe off I thought I may as well strip the underside of the car and sort the whole lot out.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:49 PM

These are the areas I need to clean up the most to see what condition the metal is like underneath

Everything from here forward should clean up fairly easily from the looks of things
Old 02-08-2017, 10:43 PM

Yeah a blaster will clean off the rusty parts you have highlighted, but where the under-seal is that will have to be removed by scraper first as the blaster will have little to no effect,,it looks like you have just caught it in time or will need very little repair work

Last edited by Daytona-Dave; 02-08-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:47 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Why not just wait till ou can take it to someone like Doctor MX5
DoctorMX5 - Keeping Your 5 Alive - Home
He's supposted to be the nuts, proper clean and prep has a drying booth to dry and warm the car, and all the specilist gear, for the cost of equipment and materials and his obvious expertise, this is one job where it's better to stay clean. and doing it after you have the arches sorted makes sence. It might be worth getting him to quote for the arch work as well.

Last edited by richmc; 02-08-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by richmc
Why not just wait till ou can take it to someone like Doctor MX5
DoctorMX5 - Keeping Your 5 Alive - Home
He's supposted to be the nuts, proper clean and prep has a drying booth to dry and warm the car, and all the specilist gear, for the cost of equipment and materials and his obvious expertise, this is one job where it's better to stay clean. and doing it after you have the arches sorted makes sence. It might be worth getting him to quote for the arch work as well.

Because it looks like it's already stripped so that would mean rebuilding it then he would have to pay MX5 to strip it again or he would leave it as is and work around the subframe which isn't the best way to do it. plus it's nice to do a hands on job and know it was done to your own standards IMO of cause

Quick Reply: Medium Blasting