UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New tyres - cars now veering

Old 12-12-2016, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah probably. Thanks Nick

What symptoms could worn/old/split castor bushes throw up? The Geo is in good nick (or it was 18month ago, all fully adjustable). Although the front castor bushes do look twisted in the arm as though the sleeve may be seized within the bush, but it was actually adjustable.

ta
Old 12-12-2016, 10:49 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tangoray
yeah probably. Thanks Nick

What symptoms could worn/old/split castor bushes throw up? The Geo is in good nick (or it was 18month ago, all fully adjustable). Although the front castor bushes do look twisted in the arm as though the sleeve may be seized within the bush, but it was actually adjustable.

ta
If your castor bushes are twisted even slightly then they are brown bread, they are a void bush and this makes them directional and the chances of them both being twisted exactly the same are very remote, a different degree of twist on each bush will have a different effect on the compliance of the arm giving more or less movement depending where the void ends up through twisting or miss alignment when fitting
Old 12-13-2016, 03:05 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

In short, your suspension will move differently on each side of the car. Not nice!
Old 12-13-2016, 03:40 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze
In short, your suspension will move differently on each side of the car. Not nice!
Old 12-14-2016, 09:55 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Yup, you'll probably get away with it on the camber ones as they are solid.

My rear's only slightly out, so I've been twisting the RHS rear one for years and I cannot feel the difference.

But those vertical ones are funny things.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:52 PM

This is the condition of them. Got a new set of lower arms going on in January.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:00 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by tangoray

This is the condition of them. Got a new set of lower arms going on in January.
you might get an ok reading sat still but your caster will move as that wont provide resistance. Grab the arm with the weight off and i bet it moves

i replaced one with a mugen bush on my car (must do the other side haha) as it failed the MOT. The whole arm wobbled, this would make the car wander
Old 12-18-2016, 12:23 PM

It's definitely not helping my case anyhow. Can't wait to put the new arms on, see how tight she feels!

First job maybe while im off over Xmas, jump underneath with a impact gun and a breaker bar n see what's seized n what's not!
Old 03-10-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update to my original post -

Not used the car much over winter but I had the front tyres replaced and it drives great again.
The inner edge on both NS and OS were worn, still a few k left on the tyres but got them changed to the same as the rears, I do usually have the same all round but as there was plenty on the front I left them and wanted to try a different make.

Even in a straight line it felt as though the back end was about to go, very nervy at times.

Anyway, i'm going to get the tracking checked but am glad its back to normal.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 245 Likes on 211 Posts

I had a slight problem like this when I put the last bridgestones on, after a putting on a few miles it settled down to normal handling, I'm wondering if it has to do with the way the tyres are stacked during transport from the factory making them out of true until they've been on wheels and pressurised for a while?

Quick Reply: New tyres - cars now veering