UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Supercharger Flutter

Old 02-17-2017, 12:57 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
So don't fit one *cough cough*

Also by the look of things if you have an issue you are going to have to go though all this again.

I wouldn't see how a correctly spec'd aftermarket BOV should void the warranty on the blower unit.
Well i agree with you but if Si is now stating it will then I'm not happy to fit one. Not until the warranty has expired anyway which by the speed of a response from HKS may be before they fix the issue!

Honestly how long does it take them to give some guidance?
Old 02-17-2017, 01:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

its all well and good changing bits and bobs, in my case the belt already as it was not suitable, and by the look of it possibly another BOV as the one supplied might not be suitable.

But when buying a "plug and play" kit, i never expected to have either a issue with wrong belt being supplied, or a BOV that was not suitable, especially when it will cost ME more money. The whole point of buying a kit like this is to be safe in the fact someone with more knowledge than me has pieced it all together to work perfectly with my car, and certainly not have to spend more money putting it right.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Define198
its all well and good changing bits and bobs, in my case the belt already as it was not suitable, and by the look of it possibly another BOV as the one supplied might not be suitable.

But when buying a "plug and play" kit, i never expected to have either a issue with wrong belt being supplied, or a BOV that was not suitable, especially when it will cost ME more money. The whole point of buying a kit like this is to be safe in the fact someone with more knowledge than me has pieced it all together to work perfectly with my car, and certainly not have to spend more money putting it right.
Agreed!
Old 02-17-2017, 02:03 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

This is all getting very negative on here now, i just want to be positive and say I'm very happy with the kit, yes it has its teething problems but what other kit do you know of where 99.99999% of the stuff supplied fitted with zero modification to standard equipment and pretty much just works.

I think these kits are great and would recommend to anyone if I'm honest, my fabricator even commented whilst we where installing that he's never come across a kit that fits this easily.

So hats off to HKS, its a pretty damn good kit if you ask me
The following users liked this post:
Si@Hendy Performance (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by johnckeen
This is all getting very negative on here now, i just want to be positive and say I'm very happy with the kit, yes it has its teething problems but what other kit do you know of where 99.99999% of the stuff supplied fitted with zero modification to standard equipment and pretty much just works.

I think these kits are great and would recommend to anyone if I'm honest, my fabricator even commented whilst we where installing that he's never come across a kit that fits this easily.

I don't disagree with that, i just think the post sales customer care is slow. The cost of shipping a few belts by air wouldn't cost much but to save money they chose to ship via sea.

I also think we should have had some input on this issue by now, as far as were aware the Japanese Engineer has been notified but that doesn't mean they are actively looking into it.

I've worked for Nissan in the past and we were able to get daily responses from the guys in Japan so i don't see why this should be any different.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:29 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Here, here.
The following users liked this post:
Si@Hendy Performance (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 03:01 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by har-vey
I don't disagree with that, i just think the post sales customer care is slow. The cost of shipping a few belts by air wouldn't cost much but to save money they chose to ship via sea.

I also think we should have had some input on this issue by now, as far as were aware the Japanese Engineer has been notified but that doesn't mean they are actively looking into it.

I've worked for Nissan in the past and we were able to get daily responses from the guys in Japan so i don't see why this should be any different.
That is Nissan though who are much much larger compared to HKS.
The end of the day the kit isn't broken, it works and people aren't being prevented from driving the cars, the flutter in the short term isn't going to do any damage to the supercharger.

Patients is a virtue on this one and Si is doing s stellar job keeping everyone informed and chasing it for us.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:21 AM

That is Nissan though who are much much larger compared to HKS.
The end of the day the kit isn't broken, it works and people aren't being prevented from driving the cars, the flutter in the short term isn't going to do any damage to the supercharger.

Patients is a virtue on this one and Si is doing s stellar job keeping everyone informed and chasing it for us.
I disagree with both of these points, firstly i was merely stating that the time change is not an excuse for the long delays on response so irrespective to the company size we should have better feedback.

And secondly we haven't had direction from HKS to say that this this wont cause issues to the system and we are OK to drive the car so to me that means that it can damage the charger and so we cant drive the car.

For me, i get excessive chatter and i am not risking driving the car after spending ££££ on it.

Last edited by har-vey; 02-20-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:51 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The third post in this thread got it right. The flutter is compressor surge due to the air not being able to escape fast enough once the throttle is closed. The supercharger will "flutter" because the pressure is higher on the output side as compared to the input side. When the throttle is closed there is a large pressure spike between the output side of the supercharger and the throttle plate. That pressure has to go somewhere. If the diverter valve is not large enough to let that pressure out, it will find somewhere else to go. In this case, it is reversing through the compressor wheel. That is the "flutter" sound. The pressure gets released by reversing through the supercharger, then the supercharger compresses the air again and pressurizes the throttle plate area to start the process all over until the rpm's come down enough to the point where the supercharger is creating an amount of pressure that the diverter valve can handle.

The fix is adding another diverter valve, or upgrading to a larger one. Make sure you get a low pressure spring in the valve you choose. The Tial QRJ with the 1.5psi spring is a good start.

HKS should have fitted a large enough valve to work with their supplied pulley setup for sure. But if someone wants a fix, I'd take it upon myself to upgrade the diverter valve.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Little update.

After continued discussion with HKS, I should hopefully receive a replacement BOV today that can be tested on both my and Harvey's cars to see if it resolves the issue.
This should then either solve the issue (If it is a faulty BOV) or point to something else causing the extensive flutter.

Waiting for news back from the design engineer of the kit and HKS Japan. Will update when I have more info.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Flutter