UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Whats missing from - Rear bumper

Old 02-13-2017, 01:13 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Whats missing from - Rear bumper

So, a friend recently bought a cheap 2005 s2000, some of you might of seen it for sale on the facebook page, the black 2005 one.

Having got it back we have noticed quite a few things that are not right with it, Namely a lot of things seem to be held together with tie wraps... interior pieces having holes drilled in them etc.

We have taken the back bumper off as we noticed it was a little flimsy, and also noticed tie wraps...

Having taken it off the rear bumper brackets all seem to be missing, the two at the bottom that hold the bottom of the bumper to the body, and the one under each rear light are also not their.

Also something is going on with behind the rear wheels, i believe their should be something their that connects to the bumper, this seems to be gone and has been replaced with a bit of DIY metal.

Has anyone got a picture of what should be their? here is what is left behind the wheels.

Last edited by Define198; 02-13-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Define198
So, a friend recently bought a cheap 2005 s2000, some of you might of seen it for sale on the facebook page, the black 2005 one.

Having got it back we have noticed quite a few things that are not right with it, Namely a lot of things seem to be held together with tie wraps... interior pieces having holes drilled in them etc.

We have taken the back bumper off as we noticed it was a little flimsy, and also noticed tie wraps...

Having taken it off the rear bumper brackets all seem to be missing, the two at the bottom that hold the bottom of the bumper to the body, and the one under each rear light are also not their.

Also something is going on with behind the rear wheels, i believe their should be something their that connects to the bumper, this seems to be gone and has been replaced with a bit of DIY metal.

Has anyone got a picture of what should be their? here is what is left behind the wheels.

Your missing a piece of the body that acts as like a mud guard. someone must of cut it out.

See my build thread, I have quite a few pictures of mine from when i under sealed my car. you'll see what i mean.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...1113786/page7/
Old 02-13-2017, 03:56 AM

So someone has actually cut out a piece of the body of the car? Any ideas why someone would do that? and also all the other brackets for the bumper are missing apart from the plastic two side ones, and the rear crash bar could of possibly been replaced, as it looks to have red on it? when the car is black.

i am leaning towards the car has had some sort of hit to the back and it has ripped off all the bumper brackets and its been poorly repaired. Possibly bent the side pieces so they have just cut them off instead of fixing them

thing is apart from the missing peices, the back end of the car does not really show any sign of impact, behind the crash bar has not been dented as far as i can see, inside the boot all looks to be crease free

Last edited by Define198; 02-13-2017 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Define198
So someone has actually cut out a piece of the body of the car? Any ideas why someone would do that? and also all the other brackets for the bumper are missing apart from the plastic two side ones, and the rear crash bar could of possibly been replaced, as it looks to have red on it? when the car is black.

i am leaning towards the car has had some sort of hit to the back and it has ripped off all the bumper brackets and its been poorly repaired. Possibly bent the side pieces so they have just cut them off instead of fixing them

thing is apart from the missing peices, the back end of the car does not really show any sign of impact, behind the crash bar has not been dented as far as i can see, inside the boot all looks to be crease free

Honestly I have no idea why anyone would do this because I can’t see that piece of metal getting in the way of anything, But there’s nothing stranger than Folk and people do happen to do strange things so maybe someone just thought it was a good idea :S. Unless maybe the car had an aftermarket bumper fitted at some point and shape of them got in the way? Apart from that I can’t think of much else.

Also from the car doesn’t appear to show any other signs of a collision damage from your photo but it’s hard to tell, So literally to me it just looks like someone has cut them off :S

I’m guessing both sides are the same?

Have you pulled the carpet out the Boot and had a look to see it shows any signs of Crumpling or fixed collision damage?

Can you not ask the previous owner?
Old 02-13-2017, 05:43 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

A few of the 'low drag' bumpers and bumper modifications have a lot of material scalloped away under there. Perhaps that's why they've cut it out? Hopefully something like that, and not a shunt.

Like this, for example...

https://goo.gl/images/e8yhCI

Not my taste, I hasten to add!

Last edited by chrispayze; 02-13-2017 at 05:45 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:15 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

They do that for air flow and to stop the rear lifting at high speed.
My guess is either rust or the had a bumper cut in half on there at some point.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:58 AM

I cant see someone cutting them out to lower drag and then leaving the Boot well untouched?
Old 02-13-2017, 08:03 AM

their is zero damage that i can see that would point to a collision, all the boot carpet is out of the car and all the metal underneath all looks original and no creases or visable damage, the front end of the car is missing all the engine undertray and bumper undertray. The wheel arch trims have been cut both sides and zip tied to the front bumper.

I can only presume at this point that its something to do with aftermarket parts? i will see if we can get a damaged shell to cut the missing pieces off and re-weld them back on
Old 02-13-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Best get used to it folks as this is what is happening to a lot of modded cars, bits cut off, arch's rolled all manner of things that at the time seem like a good idea to the owner but have an effect on someone further down the line who wants an original, you have to be a lot more vigilant when looking at a purchasing an S2000 as there are a lot of messed up cars about that would cost a shed load to put back to standard
Old 02-13-2017, 11:04 AM

Thankfully the guy that bought it got it for a good price, so the money that needs spending on it is not the end of the world but still annoying since no mention of it when buying

New roof already been put on, mugen bushes and new bolts with new drop links ordered as every adjuster is seized on the car so will be soon back to how it should be! just trying to source the under trays now which is a bit of a mission for a facelift car, so these might need to be bought brand new also

Last edited by Define198; 02-13-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Whats missing from - Rear bumper