Vancouver Island Vancouver Island S2000 Enthusiasts

New Island S2K Owner

Old 07-16-2011, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Island S2K Owner

Hey everyone! Thought I would introduce myself. Name is Sean, I'm 24 and I'm new to the Honda/S2000 scene. Originally from the VW scene I've owned a couple golfs, an old rabbit, a corrado, and the latest was a '91 GTi. The corrado is a full-blown project car now, awaiting some well deserved attention, soon.

Quick story, I got in the accident with the GTi just about a year ago now (rear-ended and pushed into a truck ahead of me). Right after that I picked up a '96 Integra, fixed everything on it, bunch of maintenance, and added some extras. It was clean as hell, but wasn't happy with it. Ended up picking up this S2000.

Day or 2 after I bought it.

Drove it around, excited to have this awesome summer car. Just keeping it clean and going over everything, prioritizing the list of "to-dos", and a week and a half later, clutch slippage... Pulled it out, sure enough clutch was done so I replaced everything. Lightened flywheel, both bearings, and ACT Street Clutch kit. Tossed the trans back in, ran the break-in period (2 days of my normal driving. I'm commuting from Nanaimo to Victoria until we move down in September).

Clutch kit going in.

After that, drove good, loved the feel of the new clutch and plans were to do some maintenance stuff and find some suspension. Until 2 weeks later...
Drove into work and as I was backing into my spot, she locked up. Pretty choked but I dropped the diff fluid and trans fluid, both pretty dirty but no sparkles or chunks. Took the drive shaft out and spun the diff by hand, didn't lock. Spun the trans by hand... lock....

Trans out... again.

Removed everything and found a couple iffy bearings so I put together a kit to replace them all, and the seals. Upon further tear down, one of the "ears" on 2nd gear syncro broke and the "ears" on 3rd are worn pretty good. What years of red-light-racing will do...
So, 2nd and 3rd gear sets are ordered and on the way.
More inspecting found that whomever installed the shift knob not only didn't use the locking nut, not only cross-threaded the knob on (I don't know how, M10x1.5... ), they spun the knob on so tight they cracked the threads on the shifter.
Skunk2 weighted knob and Top Speed short shift kit arrived.

Gear sets will be here Monday or Tuesday but basically the transmission side of things will be fully rebuilt from shift knob right through to the fluid.

While waiting for everything to show (just waiting on gear sets now), I decided a few body mods were necessary.
Front bumper came off, shaved emblem, license holes, and tow hook hole. I also picked up an OEM style front lip for it. Repainted the whole bumper and I'm just in the final wetsand and polishing stages before its complete.
Decided I wanted the blacked out theme so the headlight got separated and signal diffusers got blacked out.

I'll try to get some real pictures up soon but here a little photoshop of what she'll look like (less the front lip).

After all this transmission stuff, (and the move back down to Vic) I'll be looking at getting some coils and wheels.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Sean..., sounds like you have quite a bit of work on your hands there but you sound proficient. Good luck with the build. If you can come out to a Thursday night meet with us. They end early enough to make it back up to Nanaimo, and please check out the Poker Run in August.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:24 PM

Yah, let us know we run down the odd thursday we can meet you in duncan on the way down.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:24 PM

Well I got the gear sets in today and put on the shafts. Case should all go together tomorrow and if all goes well I should be rolling by the weekend. Can't wait for some top down cruising again.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

welcome and nice car!! looks like you want the s2 slammed!!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:45 PM

So, I got the rest of the parts needed to put the S back together again. Here's a few pics.
Apparently I didn't take any pics of the broken shifter or the shift knob yet OR the new short shifter and knob.

Here's another pic of the trans before it all came apart.

New bearings, nuts, and seals for good measure.

Old 2nd gear set and 3rd gear set and their new replacements.

2nd gear set with broken ear.

Syncro ring off the gear.

Old vs. new... The reason for the tear down. The only thing broken in the trans and the only thing needed.

And this is what you have to buy to get that little piece... The whole gear set with 1st and 2nd syncro rings.

And this is 3rd and 4th gear set with syncro rings. What $1365 retail looks like.

So I stayed for a bit and got all the new pieces on the shafts. Got tired and needed a couple more hands.
Still hoping I can get the case all put back together tomorrow and have her on the road by the weekend.

Thanks for the compliments guys!
Pretty much all my cars have been low. The corrado is sitin pretty lowwwwww (and it'll go lower once I get to working on it) and my old GTI was super low when it was on the BBS RMs.
I've been looking for wheels for this car but I just can't decide on the look I want to go for. There's a few sets I have my eye on.
I'd love to come for a meet soon here. Since I work in Vic I might just meet you there and the we can roll home 'Mid Isle S2K'?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by S2KSean
So, I got the rest of the parts needed to put the S back together again. Here's a few pics.
Apparently I didn't take any pics of the broken shifter or the shift knob yet OR the new short shifter and knob.

Here's another pic of the trans before it all came apart.

New bearings, nuts, and seals for good measure.

Old 2nd gear set and 3rd gear set and their new replacements.

2nd gear set with broken ear.

Syncro ring off the gear.

Old vs. new... The reason for the tear down. The only thing broken in the trans and the only thing needed.

And this is what you have to buy to get that little piece... The whole gear set with 1st and 2nd syncro rings.

And this is 3rd and 4th gear set with syncro rings. What $1365 retail looks like.

So I stayed for a bit and got all the new pieces on the shafts. Got tired and needed a couple more hands.
Still hoping I can get the case all put back together tomorrow and have her on the road by the weekend.

Thanks for the compliments guys!
Pretty much all my cars have been low. The corrado is sitin pretty lowwwwww (and it'll go lower once I get to working on it) and my old GTI was super low when it was on the BBS RMs.
I've been looking for wheels for this car but I just can't decide on the look I want to go for. There's a few sets I have my eye on.
I'd love to come for a meet soon here. Since I work in Vic I might just meet you there and the we can roll home 'Mid Isle S2K'?

Ok, we are hoping to attend meet this Thursday July 22, so may meet with you then. If not see you at another meet.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:17 PM

Finally drove it home tonight, for the first time in a month. Can't believe it's been that long already...
So fun though, totally worth the wait to have the trans all rebuilt and fresh.
Now on to finishing the bumper and cleaning up under the hood/dash.
I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You must know a thing or two about turning wrenches! Welcome
Old 07-26-2011, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job..., See you this Thursday then?

Quick Reply: New Island S2K Owner