Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contiental ExtremeContact DW - Feels Soft...really soft

Old 06-09-2016, 08:13 AM

Received 1,263 Likes on 955 Posts

Stiff sidewalls are not the only thing to consider when looking for response, BTW.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, B serious. The S-04 was my other choice -- Pros: cheaper, maybe stiffer than PSS. Cons: 3 lbs heavier than PSS.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a set of Conti ExtremeContact DWS for my stock 2002. Previously I ran two sets of Bridgestone RE050 Pole Position on 17" Kosei wheels - 205 front, 225 rear. The Contis perform just as well as the Bridgestones in terms of handling response, turn-in and suspension compliance, but they are far superior in rain, plus they wear better for the street. I am surprised at the posts complaining about soft 'squishy' feel. Have not run the all-seasons on the track but they aren't designed for that, so I'd get something stickier for sure. I'm very happy with the ExtremeContact DWS and would recommend them for street driving a stock S2K.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm really happy with my Extreme Contact DWS tires as well. They have done really well in the crazy rain we have had, especially in comparison to my old MPSS tires.

Last edited by uh0h50; 02-24-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:06 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

+3 on DWS.
I have MPSS for the days I want to take more aggressive runs with the S.
But when I'm just cruising around town honestly, the DWS works just fine up until when I put the car away in storage in November.
I've been running DWS on my S for those days for nearly 4 years now, no complaints. They still hold their own, but they don't compare to the MPSS - different class in my opinion.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I couldn't go with MPSS because they didn't have the size I needed, but the S04's I'm very happy with so far.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

The DW is the summer tire, the DWS is the all-season (the "S" denotes snow). The DW is discontinued and now replace with the Extremecontact Sport, which allegedly has increased sidewall stiffness from the DW by 86%.

The new tire is now in stock all over, and I'll report back on my thoughts after I get it, but I suppose I've never had an issue with the sidewalls on the DW (on 16" stockies pumped to 32psi) myself, so I'm not the person to ask!
Old 02-27-2017, 10:03 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

For those looking for a decent tire that performs well in the wet, I suggest looking at the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 (sold as Bridgestone Potenza RE003 elsewhere in the world). I bought these last month and used them for one track day (not their intended use, but with a slight chance of rain I decided to not risk it) and for a recent group drive with the local S2ki club. They don't have the overall grip that the Extreme Performance tires have in the dry, but they handle extremely well and being 340 treadwear they will last a long time.

Check out their review on https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=217
Old 02-28-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

The DW is known for its soft sidewalls. Besides the lack of steering response and durability (on track), the DW has slightly better wet weather grip and much better hydroplaning resistance than the Michelin PSS. Ride quality, comfort, noise, and wear is similar to a PSS, which has far better steering response, precision, and durability on track.

Continental just replaced the DW with their brand new ExtremeContact SPORT tire, which fixed the sidewall, steering response, and track durability problem of the DW, and is now on par with the PSS in these regards while improving wet weather performance over the DW, but still retaining better hydroplaning resistance to the PSS. The new Sport also has a 20% increase in tread wear over the DW -which is significant.

You can read more about the DW vs SPORT in MotoIQ's tire test and back to back track comparison (with Motec Data) here:

TESTED: Continental Tire ExtremeContact Sport

Old 02-28-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the article and test Billy, you always contribute a lot to our community! Now if motoiq would just do a test of trofeo r, re-71r, r888r, new hankook's and various other popular autocross and track day tires that would be great! Oh and also a lap time test with an S2000 of the same specs, with KW clubsports and ohlins DFV and a few others back to back (wishful thinking). Data and metrics were great in that article and I can't wait for my everyday street set of DW's to age out so I can step up to the new ones Continental put out.

Quick Reply: Contiental ExtremeContact DW - Feels Soft...really soft