Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hubcentric centering rings

Old 04-15-2006, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a possible list of aftermarket wheels that will/may use these rings? Just wondering becuase I just got my hands on a set of Advan RGII and they didnt come with any.

Carlos
Old 04-15-2006, 12:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SIIK03,Apr 15 2006, 01:19 PM
Is there a possible list of aftermarket wheels that will/may use these rings? Just wondering becuase I just got my hands on a set of Advan RGII and they didnt come with any.

Carlos
Any aftermarket rims that does not have the same center borehole diameters as OEM "needs" these rings, so I'm guessing they all will "need" rings. I don't believe any aftermarket rim will have a staggered borehole sizing like our OEM rims. They will generally all come with the same borehole size for both front and rear rims, unlike the OEM ones. Please read the above dimensions for the OEM borehole measurements, then compare this to the one on your aftermarket rims. The rings must make up this difference.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=xviper,Apr 14 2006, 07:19 PM] An owner posted in another thread that during a track event, his hubs got so hot that his plastic rings started to melt.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The aluminum rings I had for my SSRs were anodized so they wouldn't corrode.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, i have anodized and plastic ones ive used in past. i prefer the plastic because it sticks into rim and stays there while u put on,.. rather than u angleing the wheel ever so much and it fallin out like the metal

also plastic seems to fit more snug'

VERY VERY VERY GOOD POST, im Very impressed
Old 04-15-2006, 06:52 PM

great thread. thanks
Old 08-31-2006, 08:09 AM

I just read this good info Dave
Old 08-31-2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by koala,Apr 14 2006, 11:35 PM
I've gotten my brakes hot enough that they have significant fade, and the rings were fine.. I can't imagine how much abuse you'd have to put on the car to create enough heat to melt em
I've done it, but not with the S.

I had to replace two plastic rings for my Integra. I got the wheels through tire rack and they came with the rings, so I called them to get new ones and they sent them for free.

Yet another reason why I keep buying from TR.

Speaking of rings, I was just going to try to see what I needed for some 17" LE37's, are they 73mm like the CEs?

They are at the bottom of a pile of crap in my new garage, in the middle of moving so I can't easily go measure them...
Old 08-31-2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Race Miata,Apr 15 2006, 04:01 PM
First, thanks for the write-up as always.

Regarding "melting hubcentric rings", I believe I'm that person. I need to clarify that this situation happend to my miata, not the S. FYI, the wheels were 15x7" Kosei K1 with no center caps. The track day the car went to had open track sessions (go on track any time you want) and traffic was minimal. I pushed the car to the limit all throughout each session until the tires got greasy (usually more than 30 minutes). Both right side rings (on the counter-clockwise track) were not melt like chocolate but were deformed enough to become elliptical and were hard to pry off of the hubs and put back on either side of the car. That's when I decided to forget about hubcentric rings and just use extra caution when torquing down wheels. No problem running without the hub rings on the track on the miata or the S (the BMW has hubcentric wheels). For those who run plastic hubcentric rings. I wouldn't worry about melting until it happens.
lol ironically, I was using K1's with no center caps when I melted mine also. 15x7 also And open track, it was during a Chin Motorsports event here in Florida.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:14 AM

Nice writeup Viper!

I wish more aftermarket wheels were genuine hubcentric. TireRack does sell s set of TR Motorsports wheels that are hubcentric, OEM offset and size (AP2 specs) and they are forged.

Quick Reply: Hubcentric centering rings