Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE11A vs Pilot Super Sport vs. Rival

Old 08-09-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Tread life isn't really an issue for me. I've got a 2004 and less than 20k miles. I just need phone integration, nav, the ability to handle potholes and been seen in traffic too much.

There are several RE11 vs RE11A reviews. I can't put my finger on it right now, but there was at least one back to back review of the RE11 vs RE11A where the comments were in seconds/lap quicker.

The RE11/RE11A is supposed to be one of the quietest and smoothest riding "Extreme" tries, so they should be fine there. However, they are also often commented on for a softer steering response than other "Extreme" tires. The PSS is commented on for having very good steering response, ride, noise, etc. Unfortunately, no back-to-back comparisons, with s2ka's comments here being among the few.

The S2k is among the lightest cars these tires would be used on, with some of the others being FWD tire abusers.

The primary street vs. track (autocross) issues are in ride/noise/steering/response/feedback below the limit being being primary on the street and ultimate adhesion/response/feedback at/over the limit being primary on the track. Comments about the RE11A 'coming alive' on the track cause the concern that it isn't the best street choice. But without back-to-back comparisons it is hard to judge. What is soft compared to a DIrezza VII may be quite sharp compared to PSS. In the Car and Driver test, the PSS was much faster than the Direzza V1 in addition to be being quieter, smoother (comparable to an S04). No RE11 test though.

The question may be, driving along the winding, tree lined , deer infested hilly roads in western north/central NJ, will the PSS or RE11A be more fun? Driving on the highway, will one be more of a penalty than the other? If I do an autocross, I'd expect the RE11A to be a bit faster; but is it?
Old 08-09-2013, 11:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A cold RE-11A will grip just as hard as a PSS. Go carve a few corners, and the RE-11A will just get stickier. 50 corners later, the RE-11A will be singing along happily, while the PSS will be begging for mercy. That's what they mean by the RE-11A coming alive with heat.

C&D also states the PSS/PS2 are the best tires known to man, and the BMW 3-series is god's gift to the world.

The RE11A's steering response is superior to the PSS; the sidewalls are stiffer, and the tire is more "square".

Both make "white" noise, and are relatively quiet compared to other "extreme performance" tires.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:52 AM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by killerbee_vr6
comparing tread wear ratings across manufacturers to determine relative performance is pointless. the PSS feels like an ad08 or similar in grip with better life and ride.
Yeah that is what Michelin would like you to think… Not even close to the grip and heat management of AD08 or RE11 from what I have seen. Here is what "similar grip" means: When you change lanes on the freeway, the PSS will grip the same as the RE11, when you slowly roll to a stop, the PSS will grip just as hard as the RE11, so on and so forth. The difference at the limit is massive on a car like the S2000 where cornering speed is everything. The PSS has similar grip to a Bridgestone S-04, which I have also used on my S2000.

The 300 treadwear rating on the PSS is a bad joke. You will definitely get great treadwear if you don't do any aggressive driving. The moment they get hot they get completely destroyed. I have used the RE11 and RE11A on my S2000 and driven in another car with PSS. The RE11 is a better tire in almost every way than the PSS, and the RE11A is even better than the RE11, and if I am not mistaken the RE11A is quite a bit cheaper than the PSS as well. Also the PSS isn't available in 255/40/17 which is why you won't see many S2000s using it.

I would highly recommend trying 225/255 RE-11A setup on your OEM wheels.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
The question may be, driving along the winding, tree lined , deer infested hilly roads in western north/central NJ, will the PSS or RE11A be more fun? Driving on the highway, will one be more of a penalty than the other? If I do an autocross, I'd expect the RE11A to be a bit faster; but is it?
The RE11A will absolutely be more fun. I have quite a lot of experience driving the S2000 in that particular environment. The RE11 handles wet conditions extremely well also. I honestly don't see how the PSS could be any better in the wet if the car is actually being driven near the limit, because the RE11 is incredible in the wet. On the highway you aren't going to find a quieter tire with that amount of grip.

Someone mentioned the PSS would have longer tread life. Yes maybe if you never drive the car aggressively. If you do drive aggressively you can expect to completely destroy the tread blocks and have to replace the tire earlier than expected. With the RE11 you can literally drive it to the cords, past the wear bars on the RE11 and you will still have more grip than a new PSS.

Obviously you can tell where my bias lies but it is for good reason. I seriously question tire rack and other car magazines that give the PSS such positive reviews in comparison to far superior AD08s, Direzza ZI and ZII, and RE11. If you want a good high performance Michelin tire you will need to buy the Pilot Sport Cup, and you won't find that in a size that will suit the S2000. I would actually recommend the Federal 595 RSR over the PSS, but the RSR probably wouldn't be a good match for your uses.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by s2ka
I've had the RE050, PSS, and RE11. I haven't tried the RE11A but it seems to me the biggest change was a huge reduction in price, so I'd be surprised if there was a significant improvement considering the tread pattern is virtually identical and it's just a revision version of the RE11. I currently have two sets of identical 17x7.5 +50 and 17x9 +63 CE28 wheels, one with RE050, one with RE11. I had a set of PSS on the exact same wheels. All tires in OEM sizes, 215/245.

Anyway, here's my take on them.

The RE11 has more grip but it's not a huge leap for street driving. In the old days you could go from a Goodyear Eagle to a Yokohoma A008R and be blown away by how much more grip you got from sticky tires. Now, it's more about the trade-offs because the performance gain is miniscule for the street. The downside to the RE11 is that they're not very good until they warm up, the fronts are wide so they rub a little on my 1" lowered car. The sidewalls feel pretty stiff but not harsh. The steering response feels a little slow and muted, even though the grip is high. Life of the rears should be around 10k miles for street driving. It's a good looking tire, if that matters.

The PSS were not very impressive to me. It's an ok tire that's probably better suited for a BMW sedan. On and S it kind of skates around like a Falken RT-615. The rears look a little too narrow for the spec size, for the stock wheels it should be fine, I'm on 17x9. The ride is decent, the grip is decent. The warranty says 30k miles, but that's just for non-staggered sizes, for the OEM S2000 sizes you don't get a mileage warranty. They just didn't do much for me, and I'm a big Michelin fan.

And now the RE050. Honda and Bridgestone designed these just for the S2000. The rears are wide, the fronts are narrow. Good rear grip, crisp steering response, no fender rubbing. They work good as soon as you fire up the car, no warm up needed. In the corners they break away with consistency so you know what the car is going to do at all times. They're overpriced and not extreme performance, so people bag on them. But after trying almost a dozen different tires on my S I still think they're the best all around street tire if you exclude price, which isn't a big factor for me. I just want the best feeling tire for the car, and that's the RE050 for me.
Great reviews. I would highly recommend trying out the RE11A once your RE11s are done. I have been very impressed having gone from the RE11 to the RE11A. It's the compound difference that is the big difference here, and the grip difference at the limit is absolutely noticeable. Also with similar driving patterns it looks like I will get a bit more life out of the RE11A than the RE11, even with the RE11A being put through it's paces at a 105 degree track day and warmer summer temperatures in the mountains.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A better comparison would be the RE11A's vs Pilot Sport Cups.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:24 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Also the PSS isn't available in 255/40/17 which is why you won't see many S2000s using it.

I was going to go with stock 215/245 sizes. I've seen big rears at autocrosses, but would have thought a big front/big front bar would have been the way autocross at least the last time I looked. I wouldn't expect to win an autocross around here, too many people changing to Hoosier tires at the track.

Is the 225/255 really better? Doesn't it throw the speedometer off?

Also interesting, the RE11A doesn't come in any large sizes. Only one size in 18". None larger. In comparison the RE11 and PSS come in all the large sizes.

Is the RE11A just better suited to a sub-3000# car?
Old 08-09-2013, 01:24 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kreeper
A better comparison would be the RE11A's vs Pilot Sport Cups.
False... completely different category of tires.

The sport cups are considered a street legal R-comp tire with a tread wear of 80

RE-11A - extreme perf street tire with tread wear of 200
Old 08-09-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1376077968' post='22715985
Also the PSS isn't available in 255/40/17 which is why you won't see many S2000s using it.

I was going to go with stock 215/245 sizes. I've seen big rears at autocrosses, but would have thought a big front/big front bar would have been the way autocross at least the last time I looked. I wouldn't expect to win an autocross around here, too many people changing to Hoosier tires at the track.

Is the 225/255 really better? Doesn't it throw the speedometer off?

Also interesting, the RE11A doesn't come in any large sizes. Only one size in 18". None larger. In comparison the RE11 and PSS come in all the large sizes.

Is the RE11A just better suited to a sub-3000# car?
Most tires in the RE-11A's category only come in sizes up to 18". A select few come in 19 (RE-11, AD08, RS3), and a scant handful in 20 (GT-R specific sizes).

Simply put, true performance guys don't use larger rims except in exceptional cases. Even the GT-R guys downsize for track duty.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2ka
Originally Posted by psychoazn' timestamp='1376062494' post='22715476
The RE11A will be superior to the PSS in EVERY performance metric, except hydroplaning resistance.
And tread life, and cold weather performance.
The regular RE-11 is one of the longest wearing performance tires to date. If the RE-11A is comparable to the RE-11 in longevity then the tread life argument goes out the window. When pushed hard (a track for example) the RE-11A will outlast the PSS or any other (higher UTQG) max performance summer tires.

Quick Reply: RE11A vs Pilot Super Sport vs. Rival