Jump to content

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RE11A vs Pilot Super Sport vs. Rival

#26 User is offline   andrewhake 

  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 4,291
  • Joined: 05-January 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mt. ________
  • Country: United States
  • Interests:s2ki lurker since 1999

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:20 AM

View PostMMisencik157, on 09 August 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

View Posts2ka, on 09 August 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

View Postpsychoazn, on 09 August 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

The RE11A will be superior to the PSS in EVERY performance metric, except hydroplaning resistance.



And tread life, and cold weather performance.


The regular RE-11 is one of the longest wearing performance tires to date. If the RE-11A is comparable to the RE-11 in longevity then the tread life argument goes out the window. When pushed hard (a track for example) the RE-11A will outlast the PSS or any other (higher UTQG) max performance summer tires.


Having put 6000+ miles on my RE-11A I can definitely confirm they last just as long as the RE-11. :thumbup:

What many people seem to forget about UTGQ ratings is that they are bast on a very standard boring testing procedure that doesn't involve any form of aggressive driving.
Posted Image
o_O S2000 | Mark I Stage II... | Service | Parts | S2ki.com Lap Times Database

That’s thirty minutes away. I’ll be there in ten.

#27 User is offline   alSpeed2k 

  • View gallery
  • Group: Community Organizer
  • Posts: 8,958
  • Joined: 29-September 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The 604
  • Country: Canada

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

View Posts2ka, on 09 August 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

I've had the RE050, PSS, and RE11. I haven't tried the RE11A but it seems to me the biggest change was a huge reduction in price, so I'd be surprised if there was a significant improvement considering the tread pattern is virtually identical and it's just a revision version of the RE11. I currently have two sets of identical 17x7.5 +50 and 17x9 +63 CE28 wheels, one with RE050, one with RE11. I had a set of PSS on the exact same wheels. All tires in OEM sizes, 215/245.

Anyway, here's my take on them.

The RE11 has more grip but it's not a huge leap for street driving. In the old days you could go from a Goodyear Eagle to a Yokohoma A008R and be blown away by how much more grip you got from sticky tires. Now, it's more about the trade-offs because the performance gain is miniscule for the street. The downside to the RE11 is that they're not very good until they warm up, the fronts are wide so they rub a little on my 1" lowered car. The sidewalls feel pretty stiff but not harsh. The steering response feels a little slow and muted, even though the grip is high. Life of the rears should be around 10k miles for street driving. It's a good looking tire, if that matters.

The PSS were not very impressive to me. It's an ok tire that's probably better suited for a BMW sedan. On and S it kind of skates around like a Falken RT-615. The rears look a little too narrow for the spec size, for the stock wheels it should be fine, I'm on 17x9. The ride is decent, the grip is decent. The warranty says 30k miles, but that's just for non-staggered sizes, for the OEM S2000 sizes you don't get a mileage warranty. They just didn't do much for me, and I'm a big Michelin fan.

And now the RE050. Honda and Bridgestone designed these just for the S2000. The rears are wide, the fronts are narrow. Good rear grip, crisp steering response, no fender rubbing. They work good as soon as you fire up the car, no warm up needed. In the corners they break away with consistency so you know what the car is going to do at all times. They're overpriced and not extreme performance, so people bag on them. But after trying almost a dozen different tires on my S I still think they're the best all around street tire if you exclude price, which isn't a big factor for me. I just want the best feeling tire for the car, and that's the RE050 for me.


Hmmm, interesting! For me the OEM 050s were stiffer, and that's about it. To me the RE11a's are better in every other way! Mind you I have the RE11a's (never drove the non "a's") in a 225/255 configuration on OEM AP2V2 wheels. I love the RE11as!

To the op, I haven't driven the PSS before, but based on my experience with the RE11a's I don't think you would be disappointed with these. Also, go for the 225/255 combo if you like to corner hard!

#28 User is offline   Jim@tirerack 

  • The TireRack
  • Group: Vendor - Platinum Primary
  • Posts: 7,221
  • Joined: 28-July 01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Bend
  • Country: United States
  • Interests:racing

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

Here is a link to the Extreme Performance tire test that we did here. While the Super Sport is the best Max Performance tire we tested the RE-11A and the other Extreme Performance tires are going to be better at the limits. The Extreme tires are not going to have as good a ride or wet traction as the Super Sport.
If I can help with the tires let me know.


http://www.tirerack....2&affiliate=GH9
Posted Image


If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the S2KI site.

#29 User is online   DavidNJ 

  • Topic Starter
  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 320
  • Joined: 27-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostalSpeed2k, on 14 August 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

View Posts2ka, on 09 August 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

I've had the RE050, PSS, and RE11. I haven't tried the RE11A but it seems to me the biggest change was a huge reduction in price, so I'd be surprised if there was a significant improvement considering the tread pattern is virtually identical and it's just a revision version of the RE11. I currently have two sets of identical 17x7.5 +50 and 17x9 +63 CE28 wheels, one with RE050, one with RE11. I had a set of PSS on the exact same wheels. All tires in OEM sizes, 215/245.

Anyway, here's my take on them.

The RE11 has more grip but it's not a huge leap for street driving. In the old days you could go from a Goodyear Eagle to a Yokohoma A008R and be blown away by how much more grip you got from sticky tires. Now, it's more about the trade-offs because the performance gain is miniscule for the street. The downside to the RE11 is that they're not very good until they warm up, the fronts are wide so they rub a little on my 1" lowered car. The sidewalls feel pretty stiff but not harsh. The steering response feels a little slow and muted, even though the grip is high. Life of the rears should be around 10k miles for street driving. It's a good looking tire, if that matters.

The PSS were not very impressive to me. It's an ok tire that's probably better suited for a BMW sedan. On and S it kind of skates around like a Falken RT-615. The rears look a little too narrow for the spec size, for the stock wheels it should be fine, I'm on 17x9. The ride is decent, the grip is decent. The warranty says 30k miles, but that's just for non-staggered sizes, for the OEM S2000 sizes you don't get a mileage warranty. They just didn't do much for me, and I'm a big Michelin fan.

And now the RE050. Honda and Bridgestone designed these just for the S2000. The rears are wide, the fronts are narrow. Good rear grip, crisp steering response, no fender rubbing. They work good as soon as you fire up the car, no warm up needed. In the corners they break away with consistency so you know what the car is going to do at all times. They're overpriced and not extreme performance, so people bag on them. But after trying almost a dozen different tires on my S I still think they're the best all around street tire if you exclude price, which isn't a big factor for me. I just want the best feeling tire for the car, and that's the RE050 for me.


Hmmm, interesting! For me the OEM 050s were stiffer, and that's about it. To me the RE11a's are better in every other way! Mind you I have the RE11a's (never drove the non "a's") in a 225/255 configuration on OEM AP2V2 wheels. I love the RE11as!

To the op, I haven't driven the PSS before, but based on my experience with the RE11a's I don't think you would be disappointed with these. Also, go for the 225/255 combo if you like to corner hard!


Whats the difference between AP2 and AP2V2 wheels? Why go one size bigger? Can the 1/2" wider width make that much difference on the street?

View PostJim@tirerack, on 16 August 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

Here is a link to the Extreme Performance tire test that we did here. While the Super Sport is the best Max Performance tire we tested the RE-11A and the other Extreme Performance tires are going to be better at the limits. The Extreme tires are not going to have as good a ride or wet traction as the Super Sport.
If I can help with the tires let me know.


http://www.tirerack....2&affiliate=GH9


Jim, the problem most have his you haven't published a back to back test of the RE11A and PSS. There are posters here that disagree with your post and say the RE11A has comparable or superior ride and noise levels to the PSS. Do you have back-to-back experience or a back-to-back test? The categories are nice for a general classification, but the leaders between the groups are close and buyers often have to make those comparisons if for no other reason size limitations.

#30 User is offline   psychoazn 

  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 6,202
  • Joined: 28-September 04
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Orange County, CA
  • Country: United States

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostDavidNJ, on 16 August 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

Whats the difference between AP2 and AP2V2 wheels? Why go one size bigger? Can the 1/2" wider width make that much difference on the street?



Only the look.

225/255 gives more tire width and still is within the rim width spec for the tire.

The vote seems to unanimously be RE-11A. That should tell you something.

#31 User is online   DavidNJ 

  • Topic Starter
  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 320
  • Joined: 27-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

View Postpsychoazn, on 16 August 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

View PostDavidNJ, on 16 August 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

Whats the difference between AP2 and AP2V2 wheels? Why go one size bigger? Can the 1/2" wider width make that much difference on the street?



Only the look.

225/255 gives more tire width and still is within the rim width spec for the tire.

The vote seems to unanimously be RE-11A. That should tell you something.


Width isn't always better. Sometimes sidewall support adds better steering response.

The RE11A only comes in one 18" size and none larger....all the rest are 17" and below. The PSS comes in sizes for 4500# cars with 500hp. It might be that a 2800#/240hp car with a low CG has different demands.

#32 User is offline   alSpeed2k 

  • View gallery
  • Group: Community Organizer
  • Posts: 8,958
  • Joined: 29-September 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The 604
  • Country: Canada

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostDavidNJ, on 16 August 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

View PostalSpeed2k, on 14 August 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

View Posts2ka, on 09 August 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

I've had the RE050, PSS, and RE11. I haven't tried the RE11A but it seems to me the biggest change was a huge reduction in price, so I'd be surprised if there was a significant improvement considering the tread pattern is virtually identical and it's just a revision version of the RE11. I currently have two sets of identical 17x7.5 +50 and 17x9 +63 CE28 wheels, one with RE050, one with RE11. I had a set of PSS on the exact same wheels. All tires in OEM sizes, 215/245.

Anyway, here's my take on them.

The RE11 has more grip but it's not a huge leap for street driving. In the old days you could go from a Goodyear Eagle to a Yokohoma A008R and be blown away by how much more grip you got from sticky tires. Now, it's more about the trade-offs because the performance gain is miniscule for the street. The downside to the RE11 is that they're not very good until they warm up, the fronts are wide so they rub a little on my 1" lowered car. The sidewalls feel pretty stiff but not harsh. The steering response feels a little slow and muted, even though the grip is high. Life of the rears should be around 10k miles for street driving. It's a good looking tire, if that matters.

The PSS were not very impressive to me. It's an ok tire that's probably better suited for a BMW sedan. On and S it kind of skates around like a Falken RT-615. The rears look a little too narrow for the spec size, for the stock wheels it should be fine, I'm on 17x9. The ride is decent, the grip is decent. The warranty says 30k miles, but that's just for non-staggered sizes, for the OEM S2000 sizes you don't get a mileage warranty. They just didn't do much for me, and I'm a big Michelin fan.

And now the RE050. Honda and Bridgestone designed these just for the S2000. The rears are wide, the fronts are narrow. Good rear grip, crisp steering response, no fender rubbing. They work good as soon as you fire up the car, no warm up needed. In the corners they break away with consistency so you know what the car is going to do at all times. They're overpriced and not extreme performance, so people bag on them. But after trying almost a dozen different tires on my S I still think they're the best all around street tire if you exclude price, which isn't a big factor for me. I just want the best feeling tire for the car, and that's the RE050 for me.


Hmmm, interesting! For me the OEM 050s were stiffer, and that's about it. To me the RE11a's are better in every other way! Mind you I have the RE11a's (never drove the non "a's") in a 225/255 configuration on OEM AP2V2 wheels. I love the RE11as!

To the op, I haven't driven the PSS before, but based on my experience with the RE11a's I don't think you would be disappointed with these. Also, go for the 225/255 combo if you like to corner hard!


Whats the difference between AP2 and AP2V2 wheels? Why go one size bigger? Can the 1/2" wider width make that much difference on the street?


What psychoazn said & possibly a small weight difference and yes, I think so, if you take spirited mountain drives; easy Saturday drive, probably not.

#33 User is online   DavidNJ 

  • Topic Starter
  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 320
  • Joined: 27-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

It also raises the CG by 1/4" and the roll center.

#34 User is offline   psychoazn 

  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 6,202
  • Joined: 28-September 04
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Orange County, CA
  • Country: United States

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostDavidNJ, on 16 August 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

It also raises the CG by 1/4" and the roll center.


You're honestly not going to notice this, if you're asking us what tire you should use.

#35 User is offline   takchi 

  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 2,431
  • Joined: 21-May 07
  • Location:socal
  • Country: United States

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:57 AM

If you are flat out convinced PSS is better in every way, shape, and form, then just use it as your preferred tire. RE-11A is my choice. If you're looking for someone to change your mind, I have track friends who swore by the PSS. And then they tried an Extreme tire. The rest is history.

*Deliberate punctuation used for emphasis.
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

Berk Technology 3" Single Headerback Exhaust Mod Forum / NA Forum | takchi's Socal Garage Sale | takchi's Garage Sale | Dixcel RA/R01 Review

Posted Image

#36 User is online   DavidNJ 

  • Topic Starter
  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 320
  • Joined: 27-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

I'm pretty convinced the RE11A is the better tire on an S2000.

#37 User is offline   hatchhero 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 126
  • Joined: 19-September 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

View Postadrs2k, on 09 August 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

^ No the PSS is not even close to the RE11A in performance. You can't compare a 300 tire to a 200 tire performance wise. Not saying PSS isnt a good tire, its just not in the same league or even close to the RE11.




agreed. do they make pss in a 255?

#38 User is offline   hatchhero 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 126
  • Joined: 19-September 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

View PostDavidNJ, on 17 August 2013 - 02:52 AM, said:

I'm pretty convinced the RE11A is the better tire on an S2000.



Hell yea, if you want a Extreme performance tire on the car, go with Pss if you want Max performance

#39 User is online   DavidNJ 

  • Topic Starter
  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 320
  • Joined: 27-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

View Posthatchhero, on 29 August 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

View PostDavidNJ, on 17 August 2013 - 02:52 AM, said:

I'm pretty convinced the RE11A is the better tire on an S2000.



Hell yea, if you want a Extreme performance tire on the car, go with Pss if you want Max performance


That's not what people are saying. The RE11A is the better tire in all regards except to a small degree in some wet conditions and wear (maybe).

Tire Rack Extreme/Max even Grand Touring aren't absolutes. The PSS, 2 years ago, was thought to be the equal of virtually all the TR Extreme Performance tires of the time. Winning overall, it placed a close second the best of the then Extreme tires in lap times.

Since then we have the RE11 and RE11A, the Direzza V2, and the BFG Reveal. Dunlop went in a weird way with the V2. The V1 was the class leader when it came out 5 or so years ago.

My guess is the S2000 would work best with a larger front tire using an adjustable bar to tune balance; this helps keep with the Torsen diff which needs the inside rear wheel on the ground. Some find just going a size bigger all around helps. Equal all around is common on GT-Rs, although IMHO the S2k is a way more fun street car..

This is a fitment guide on this website: http://www.s2ki.com/...-fitment-guide/

This post has been edited by DavidNJ: 29 August 2013 - 12:20 PM


#40 User is offline   MMisencik157 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 1,317
  • Joined: 13-April 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pleasanton / Chico
  • Country: United States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostDavidNJ, on 29 August 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

View Posthatchhero, on 29 August 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

View PostDavidNJ, on 17 August 2013 - 02:52 AM, said:

I'm pretty convinced the RE11A is the better tire on an S2000.



Hell yea, if you want a Extreme performance tire on the car, go with Pss if you want Max performance


That's not what people are saying. The RE11A is the better tire in all regards except to a small degree in some wet conditions and wear (maybe).

Tire Rack Extreme/Max even Grand Touring aren't absolutes. The PSS, 2 years ago, was thought to be the equal of virtually all the TR Extreme Performance tires of the time. Winning overall, it placed a close second the best of the then Extreme tires in lap times.

Since then we have the RE11 and RE11A, the Direzza V2, and the BFG Reveal. Dunlop went in a weird way with the V2. The V1 was the class leader when it came out 5 or so years ago.

My guess is the S2000 would work best with a larger front tire using an adjustable bar to tune balance; this helps keep with the Torsen diff which needs the inside rear wheel on the ground. Some find just going a size bigger all around helps. Equal all around is common on GT-Rs, although IMHO the S2k is a way more fun street car..

This is a fitment guide on this website: http://www.s2ki.com/...-fitment-guide/


Take those tire tests with a grain of salt especially for track use. The tests are done with cold-ish tires for a single 30-ish second lap... EPS tires need more heat than that heat to reach their true potential, whereas the PSS and other max performance summer tires are designed to generate peak grip at lower temperatures. Also each tire requires a different setup (alignment, pressure, and even driving style) to extract everything from it, which tire rack doesn't do. Im aware the last part isn't really feasible for tire rack to do, but just pointing it out.

My point is the most valuable data from the tests tire rack does to me is the subjective stuff. The objective data is fun to look at but it doesn't always tell the whole story. Grassroots did the same tire test with the new generation of EHP tires and came up with completely different results.

One last thing to point out is that the same tire brand/model may use slightly different compounds for different sizes throughout its size range.

#41 User is offline   hatchhero 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 126
  • Joined: 19-September 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

ok. so what would recommend on a ap1 with ap2v1 wheels. Im a aggressive-spirited driver that would like to take the car to Deals Gap and maybe a few autox events. Also I don't want a extreme performance tire because of low tread wear. 225f 255r

Sorry to hijack the thread

This post has been edited by hatchhero: 29 August 2013 - 03:45 PM


#42 User is offline   alSpeed2k 

  • View gallery
  • Group: Community Organizer
  • Posts: 8,958
  • Joined: 29-September 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The 604
  • Country: Canada

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

DW or V12's although you might not be totally happy with either; unless it happens to be raining when you autox.

Also, UTQG is not always a good indicator of tread wear.

As I said before, RE11as would be my choice.

#43 User is online   DavidNJ 

  • Topic Starter
  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 320
  • Joined: 27-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

View Posthatchhero, on 29 August 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

ok. so what would recommend on a ap1 with ap2v1 wheels. Im a aggressive-spirited driver that would like to take the car to Deals Gap and maybe a few autox events. Also I don't want a extreme performance tire because of low tread wear. 225f 255r

Sorry to hijack the thread



View PostalSpeed2k, on 29 August 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

DW or V12's although you might not be totally happy with either; unless it happens to be raining when you autox.

Also, UTQG is not always a good indicator of tread wear.

As I said before, RE11as would be my choice.


Doesn't an AP1 with AP2 wheels have to run in modified class? If you autocross the RE11A may wear better than many lower performance tires...they will quickly lose their shoulders.




#44 User is offline   hatchhero 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 126
  • Joined: 19-September 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

Do you have any input on s04 pole positions or Bf Goodrich comp2?

#45 User is offline   alSpeed2k 

  • View gallery
  • Group: Community Organizer
  • Posts: 8,958
  • Joined: 29-September 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The 604
  • Country: Canada

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

No one on our local forum has bought the BFGc2s. My friend purchased the S04's for his car but only in OEM sizes; unfortunately I haven't gotten a chance to drive his car since he purchased them.

#46 User is offline   hatchhero 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 126
  • Joined: 19-September 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostalSpeed2k, on 29 August 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

No one on our local forum has bought the BFGc2s. My friend purchased the S04's for his car but only in OEM sizes; unfortunately I haven't gotten a chance to drive his car since he purchased them.




Get some info from him whenever you can if possible. whats you input on running 225f 255r?

#47 User is offline   andrewhake 

  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 4,291
  • Joined: 05-January 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mt. ________
  • Country: United States
  • Interests:s2ki lurker since 1999

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

I used the S04 in 215/245 when I first got my S2000. They are decent tires and not bad for learning to drive the car. Pushed over their operating temperature they will start to chunk a bit just like the PSS. Noticeably softer sidewall compared to the RE-11 and RE-11A and noticeably lower grip. The set of S04s I had seemed to make very little noise until they were past their limit. The RE11 gives much more useful audible feedback and much more linear feel. I would say the S04 is essentially equivalent to the PSS from my experience. Small differences between the two.

As I have mentioned before. If you drive the car in a way that S04/PSS will last longer than an RE11, you don't need an RE11 because you aren't taking them to their limit anyway. An S04/PSS driven like one would drive with an RE11 will be destroyed long before and RE11 will be. I know this from experience.

#48 User is online   DavidNJ 

  • Topic Starter
  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 320
  • Joined: 27-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

View Postandrewhake, on 29 August 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

I used the S04 in 215/245 when I first got my S2000. They are decent tires and not bad for learning to drive the car. Pushed over their operating temperature they will start to chunk a bit just like the PSS. Noticeably softer sidewall compared to the RE-11 and RE-11A and noticeably lower grip. The set of S04s I had seemed to make very little noise until they were past their limit. The RE11 gives much more useful audible feedback and much more linear feel. I would say the S04 is essentially equivalent to the PSS from my experience. Small differences between the two.

As I have mentioned before. If you drive the car in a way that S04/PSS will last longer than an RE11, you don't need an RE11 because you aren't taking them to their limit anyway. An S04/PSS driven like one would drive with an RE11 will be destroyed long before and RE11 will be. I know this from experience.


Brings back memories of A008Rs on my 1986 MR2.

#49 User is offline   hatchhero 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 126
  • Joined: 19-September 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:46 AM

View Postandrewhake, on 29 August 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

I used the S04 in 215/245 when I first got my S2000. They are decent tires and not bad for learning to drive the car. Pushed over their operating temperature they will start to chunk a bit just like the PSS. Noticeably softer sidewall compared to the RE-11 and RE-11A and noticeably lower grip. The set of S04s I had seemed to make very little noise until they were past their limit. The RE11 gives much more useful audible feedback and much more linear feel. I would say the S04 is essentially equivalent to the PSS from my experience. Small differences between the two.

As I have mentioned before. If you drive the car in a way that S04/PSS will last longer than an RE11, you don't need an RE11 because you aren't taking them to their limit anyway. An S04/PSS driven like one would drive with an RE11 will be destroyed long before and RE11 will be. I know this from experience.



Thank you bro for you input, but for my knowledge you cant take the RE11A on wet roads or in the rain, correct?

This post has been edited by hatchhero: 30 August 2013 - 12:51 AM


#50 User is offline   Bullwings 

  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 1,977
  • Joined: 11-August 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:09 AM

View Posthatchhero, on 30 August 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

View Postandrewhake, on 29 August 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

I used the S04 in 215/245 when I first got my S2000. They are decent tires and not bad for learning to drive the car. Pushed over their operating temperature they will start to chunk a bit just like the PSS. Noticeably softer sidewall compared to the RE-11 and RE-11A and noticeably lower grip. The set of S04s I had seemed to make very little noise until they were past their limit. The RE11 gives much more useful audible feedback and much more linear feel. I would say the S04 is essentially equivalent to the PSS from my experience. Small differences between the two.

As I have mentioned before. If you drive the car in a way that S04/PSS will last longer than an RE11, you don't need an RE11 because you aren't taking them to their limit anyway. An S04/PSS driven like one would drive with an RE11 will be destroyed long before and RE11 will be. I know this from experience.



Thank you bro for you input, but for my knowledge you cant take the RE11A on wet roads or in the rain, correct?


Wet performance has more to due with tread design/pattern and less to due with compound (which is why RS3 suck, and NT-05 sucks in the rain, along with pretty much all r-comps).

Based on my experience, RE-11 (first gen) performs perfectly fine in the rain. I've driven to track events in monsoon like storms (crazy patchy desert weather) going 75mph no problem. I felt no squirreliness at all in the car. The RE-11A should perform equal to the RE-11 since they have identical tread patterns - the change is the compound.

For me, the PSS isn't even on my shopping list/options. I've limited my next tire to RE-11A and Direzza ZII (which i'm currently on). RS3s are fast, but that tire definitely sucks in the rain - do not like it in the rain at all.

But yes, essentially agree with what Andrew said.

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:


  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users