Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Rockin' the Dragon 2014 - April 10-13, 2014

Old 09-16-2013, 07:49 AM

Received 974 Likes on 667 Posts
Default Rockin' the Dragon 2014 - April 10-13, 2014

Rockin' the Dragon 2014 will take place April 10-13, 2014 at Fontana Village once again. If you'd like to actively participate, here are some suggestions for drives and events you may want to consider (and if you have an idea for a drive or event, post it):

Drives and Events:

Hilltops and Hollers - funat9000rpm
Clingmans Dome and Brewery Tour and Road to Nowhere - S2legend
Dragon Hillclimb Rd and Joyce Kilmer Nat'l Forest - funat9000rpm

Cherohala "Express" drive - scammedon
Cherohala drive and maybe lunch at Tellico Plains - S2legend
Highlands Drive -
Waterfall Tour -
Georgia 400 Drive/Blood Mountain Drive - "Bama Dave
Fridays for Franklin - Scammedon
Thursday trip to Park Grill - kgf3076
Poker Run - Alabama David aka 'Bama Dave
Thursday dinner at Montview - Habitforming
Lazy River Duckling Derby - Phil/Parrot/Delores
Drive to Waynesville via the Blue Ridge Parkway and brewery stop - Ron (even though he doesn't know it yet)

(With many thinks to all who have made suggestions)

Anything else? Now's your chance to become an active participant in the planning for Rockin' the Dragon 2014. Post your ideas or select one of the drives or organize an activity. This is a perfect opportunity for the Dragon veterans to show newbies some of the hidden treasures of the Deal's Gap/Robbinsville area.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also...
- Road to Nowhere (combine with Clingman's Dome/Highlands/Franklin)

- Dragon Hillclimb Rd & Joyce Kilmer Nat'l Forest

- Include the lookout tower on Foothills Pkwy as part of the Hilltops & Hollers drive

- Cherohala Skyway "express" drive, for those that don't want to spend as much time on the road. After the rollout come back through the dragon and continue down 129 the short way to the Cherohala. Only go to the high point on Cherohala, rather than all the way across it.

- Thursday dinner at Montview in the Fontana Lodge for those that want to stay around Fontana - this ended up WAY bigger than expected. Seemed like close to 30 people when we had told them to plan for 5-10 . I thought the food was very good, and wouldn't hesitate to return.

- Lazy River Duckling Derby (this is not a drive, but rather a drinking event). Contact Phil, Dolores, or Parrot for more info

- Have the beer swap in the same area as the Friday dinner I learned my lesson and despite the great ambiance of Stonehenge fire pit, it seems too many people are hesitant to go up there

and now I need to spend the next 7 months convincing momma bear it's ok to leave her cub with the grandparents for a few days

Old 09-16-2013, 09:23 AM

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

Already have our reservation at Fontana.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:25 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll still lead Hilltops if Sheila and/or Ron aren't in attendance

If we choose to venture out to north GA for a Blood Mountain run, I'll lead that, too
Old 09-16-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I will be leading the Skyway drive again, but debating on cutting out the lunch portion of it.

Also, would definately work on the "BrewerDome Run" again. that was awesome

And let's please again reserve the Stonehenge pit for those who arent hesitant to go there
Old 09-16-2013, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2LEGEND
<snip>
And let's please again reserve the Stonehenge pit for those who arent hesitant to go there

I'm all for it, just hate seeing the party get split up so much. In the spring with more attendance though, it does always seem to go better. We were fairly quickly just 6 to 8 people that evening.

But be honest, you only like it because it was right out your front door
Old 09-16-2013, 12:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Originally Posted by S2LEGEND' timestamp='1379360873' post='22781126
<snip>

I'm all for it, just hate seeing the party get split up so much. In the spring with more attendance though, it does always seem to go better. We were fairly quickly just 6 to 8 people that evening.

But be honest, you only like it because it was right out your front door
LOL that too!! Nah I liked it. Cool vibe
Old 09-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Bama Dave's Poker Run 2014. I will take that one Ken.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take all drives you want me to lead... Gladly.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Habitforming
also...
- Road to Nowhere (combine with Clingman's Dome/Highlands/Franklin)

- Dragon Hillclimb Rd & Joyce Kilmer Nat'l Forest

- Include the lookout tower on Foothills Pkwy as part of the Hilltops & Hollers drive

- Cherohala Skyway "express" drive, for those that don't want to spend as much time on the road. After the rollout come back through the dragon and continue down 129 the short way to the Cherohala. Only go to the high point on Cherohala, rather than all the way across it.

- Thursday dinner at Montview in the Fontana Lodge for those that want to stay around Fontana - this ended up WAY bigger than expected. Seemed like close to 30 people when we had told them to plan for 5-10 . I thought the food was very good, and wouldn't hesitate to return.

- Lazy River Duckling Derby (this is not a drive, but rather a drinking event). Contact Phil, Dolores, or Parrot for more info

- Have the beer swap in the same area as the Friday dinner I learned my lesson and despite the great ambiance of Stonehenge fire pit, it seems too many people are hesitant to go up there

and now I need to spend the next 7 months convincing momma bear it's ok to leave her cub with the grandparents for a few days
Just keep the cub away from Patrick's S2000 Andy. Just saying. Hope to see you again next April.

Quick Reply: Rockin' the Dragon 2014 - April 10-13, 2014