Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Porsche Cayman
51.52%
Alfa 4C
48.48%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Alfa 4C vs Porsche Cayman

Old 10-11-2013, 07:42 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
Unfortunately, their reliability is generally poor and getting an Alfa serviced will be nowhere near as easy as getting a Porsche serviced.
This has been the case for all Italian marques sold in the USA. Dealer networks are spotty and up to the mid 90's (when Maserati and Alfa were both still sold), parts distribution suffered also. On top of all that, Alfa branched out to being sold at Plymouth-Chrysler dealers which was a bad move. Dealerships did not "sell" the car well, nor where they targeted to the right buyer.

Pairing Alfa up with SAAB dealerships was their best idea, but they dragged their feet on it. Heck, Alfa could've stepped into many shuttered SAAB dealerships, but they missed that one too.

There will be few pockets of North America that will fare well with Alfa's and the rest will jump through hoops if they want an easy ownership experience.

The Alfa buyer doesn't care if reliability is not equal to Porsche, but then again, Porsche is still reeling in from that huge class action law suit. Maybe some of those scorned buyers will check out the 4C. In the end, the production of the 4C is small enough to capture buyers who know what to expect and are fine with it.

Will we ever see a solid line up of Alfa's being sold in the USA? Not sure I would bet on it. First it was waiting for a redesign of what they had, then the redesign, but make it rear wheel drive, and now they are offering basically two models that need another redesign... I am losing faith. The Alfa-Mazda Spyder is the most realistic offering coming to our shores.

I have about 3 years before I'll buy another car, so it doesn't really matter to me until then.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by s2kpdx01' timestamp='1381451539' post='22821845
i like the idea of the alfa, like I like the idea of the elise. Whoever said it's "pure sex" is attracted to odd looking things in my opinion. It's an interesting looking car, but sexy...i don't know. It's pretty awkward looking. I'm sure it's fun to drive.
Yeah whoever said that is some kinda weird freak! Oh wait, it was me (as if that was hard to deduce by looking at the thread...)

Anyhow, care to provide an example of a car you find attractive?

I saw a couple at the Frankfurt auto show and let me tell you they were getting a lot of attention, so I I know I am not alone in thinking its a great looking car. Plus, the idea of a 2100lb mid-engine car with 240-300hp should get any true petrolhead's blood pumping, even if you aren't fond of the way it looks. Yeesh, try being less repressed
I admit i was lazy in not looking up who said it. You got me there. The lights are gross. The other shapes are awkward, with that said I would love to drive it. I'm sure it's a hoot.

but lights like this:

ruin whatever else it had going for it in the looks department for me.

I don't have trypophobia, but it's still ugly.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01
I admit i was lazy in not looking up who said it. You got me there. The lights are gross. The other shapes are awkward, with that said I would love to drive it. I'm sure it's a hoot.

ruin whatever else it had going for it in the looks department for me.

I don't have trypophobia, but it's still ugly.
Admittedly, the lights leave something to be desired but they far from ruin it. It look exotic and that's okay with me. Ill have one if I can get over my fear of automatics.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:14 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1381424427' post='22820920
Come on guys, the Alfa is pure sex. It runs with no mufflers. NO MUFFLERS FROM THE FACTORY. One less thing to fail I suppose.
Every real motorhead has to own an Alfa at least once. As he says "the Alfa is pure sex". Not everyone looks for sex in their cars, but if you do it is an easy pick. I am big Alfa fan for a long time so it's an easy pick for me. Cayman is a great car though and I bet a lot easier to live with. I don't think there is another "regularly priced car" manufacturer who has put styling and driving in the active sense ahead of anything else as much as Alfa through the company's history. Heck the 4C does not have power steering.

Alfa - "Always looking for another" and the acronym is so true, ask any Alfisti, they are always on the hunt.
Which Alfa's have you owned??
Old 10-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,630 Likes on 1,927 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1381457937' post='22821962
Yeah whoever said that is some kinda weird freak! Oh wait, it was me (as if that was hard to deduce by looking at the thread...)

Anyhow, care to provide an example of a car you find attractive?
No kidding! If the 4C is not attractive, I fret to read which cars he does think are attractive.
The Alfa 8C.

One of the few times I voted Cayman, I've got to pick the lesser of the uglies (IMO). If the 4C looked more like the 8C, no contest Alfa all the way.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by arsenal
Which Alfa's have you owned??
I owned an '85 GTV6 with Euro pipes and Ansa sport exhaust. Had the Speedline TRX's instead of the wine bottle wheels pictured. My car was quite reliable.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:30 AM

Linked from another site:

Here's an interesting picture from the 4C Techno Design Book downloadable from the Alfa Romeo press pages. It shows the major body and chassis parts and what materials they are made from. The book is a very interesting read and shows a lot of details drawings and photos from the design and engineering process.

Black: Carbon fibre
Red: SMC (Sheet Moulding Compund)
Grey: Aluminium
Blue: Traditional automotive plastic (PUR-RIM injection molded plastic)
Old 10-11-2013, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtecmom
reading in here making me miss her though
I miss it too!!

Evan
Old 10-11-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the lines are gorgeous on the 4C. the rear haunches have an Evora-esque shape to them that I like. Very athletic.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ConanO'Brien
the lines are gorgeous on the 4C. the rear haunches have an Evora-esque shape to them that I like. Very athletic.
it's already been established that it is in fact not attractive.

Quick Reply: Alfa 4C vs Porsche Cayman