S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Problem with the S

Old 06-02-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with the S

Hey guys im having a problem with the S, i think it's the temp sensor, but not sure. I have an 04 with 47,000 miles on it. This problem has happened twice within two weeks at low speeds in first gear , the car will fall on its face, then the temp gauge goes down to 1 bar and check engine light comes on. Turn the car off then on, and it struggles to start,and the temp guage still reads 1 bar.Off and on once more guage reads normal and the car drives fine. Im guessing my temp sensor is going bad, but i like to hear others opinons. - Matt
Old 06-03-2014, 06:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Was there any work done prior to this?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:14 AM

no nothing done prior,any thoughts?
Old 06-03-2014, 08:53 PM

Find out what the code is and then go from there.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:10 PM

So i brought my car to Honda to have this problem looked at, unfortunately being 22 years old they treated me very poorly.I asked them to check the car for codes and to perform A 50K mile inspection on the car. They called me and said the car did not have any saved codes, and that my car was too low to get on the lift so they couldn't perform the inspection, and told me to take it somewhere else.I assumed that they would put my car on the lift with wood, but they seemed to be too lazy to do that, which also leads me to believe that it is possible they didn't inspect the codes properly.Now im waiting to bring my car to a few other places to see if they can find the code. I cant find any records of others on the site having similar problems, any advice?
Old 06-20-2014, 06:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpalm022
So i brought my car to Honda to have this problem looked at, unfortunately being 22 years old they treated me very poorly.I asked them to check the car for codes and to perform A 50K mile inspection on the car. They called me and said the car did not have any saved codes, and that my car was too low to get on the lift so they couldn't perform the inspection, and told me to take it somewhere else.I assumed that they would put my car on the lift with wood, but they seemed to be too lazy to do that, which also leads me to believe that it is possible they didn't inspect the codes properly.Now im waiting to bring my car to a few other places to see if they can find the code. I cant find any records of others on the site having similar problems, any advice?

Go to autozone, advance auto, pep boys, or someplace like that and they will pull the code for free for you and they will look it up and tell you what it means.

Then you can go from there..
Old 06-20-2014, 06:30 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I think your thermostat is sticking open, which causes the temp gauge to read low and you will get a CEL for low coolant temp. The car performs worse when that happens. You should check the code to be sure next time it happens but that's what it sounds like to me, and I've had that happen to my car in the past.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:38 PM

never take your car to the stealership ever! you're lucky they didnt charge you and told you to take it somewhere else. If it was a different stealership, they would of charged you for pulling their scantool to scan for codes.

drive it to autozone and rent their scanner. Pull the codes yourself and go from there. If theres no codes, then see if you can duplicate the same problem. This time wait a couple of minutes when the cel comes on before turning off the car.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's people like that-that give us other dealer guys a bad rep, if it was me there would have been no problem getting the car on the lift....
Old 06-21-2014, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I went to Autozone and got the code reader, but it didn't pull any codes. I have 90 days with it,so i'm going to keep it in my car till the problem happens again. You think it's worth replacing the thermostat just to be safe?

Quick Reply: Problem with the S