Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Hello, I'm looking for a track car.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, I'm looking for a track car.

Greetings all,

After five track days in my NSX since the beginning of 2014 (and one face-to-face and underbody-to-dirt encounter with the meaning of "snap oversteer") it's clear to me that I'm unwilling to modify that car in the ways it would need to be modified to keep up with my track day goals.

After looking at everything from MR2 Turbos to E36 M3s to 996 turbos as potential track cars, I realized that keeping it in the Honda family would be the best way to go.

I am told that for someone who's five days into the track bug, a stock S2000 with the right tires and brake pads is more than enough. I don't need to be the fastest guy out there - I just want something that will let me keep improving my skills.

However I also know that this is a car I would want to build up slowly as my skills improved - for example the partial roll cage seems very popular and I can imagine wanting a supercharger at some point as well.

So what should I be looking for in S2000s that are suitable for a gradual track build? Any notable difference between the generations that I might care about for track use specifically? I understand that (unlike with NSXs) a salvage title isn't necessarily a death sentence for an S2000 - so is it a matter of assessing the quality of the individual repair in those cases? Should I get one that already has a cage and a supercharger if I know I'm going to want those things?

Thanks and looking forward to meeting all of you! I'm in northern CA.

Ben
Old 06-24-2014, 01:33 PM

Yes to partial cage, no to supercharger. Learn the car then add parts. What's your budget?
Old 06-24-2014, 01:39 PM

I'm open to suggestions on that - keeping in mind that I would prefer not to bastardize a pristine S2000, but rather start from one that I won't feel bad about modifying and tracking - perhaps a higher mileage example that's already got some mods on it - how much should I expect to spend?
Old 06-24-2014, 01:39 PM

For example, is this a fair price for this car?

http://www.racingjunk.com/Honda/1822...nda-S2000.html
Old 06-24-2014, 04:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome.

When you get an S2000 check out the link in my signature.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:28 PM

Received 564 Likes on 395 Posts

I"m not sure if you're a SoCal guy, but a few good cars up for sale from reputable people. These are good starting vehicles for track use that aren't modified so wildy beyond your possible skill level.

Fast S2000s are fast with fast drivers, but sometimes slow with newer drivers due to the limits being much higher and a much narrower window for the optimum driving limit.

A stock S2000 is fast both in the hands a fast drivers and newer drivers - approaching the limits is much more gradual and less abrupt in nature, giving newer drivers more time to react.

Anyway, here's a few links to minorly track prepped cars that I know are still for sale. These are definitely good starting vehicles for learning the car. No mods needed beyond what's already done. Just go out, drive, and spend a good season or two learning the car. Save your money for track fees, consumables, maintenance, and that's it. GL.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...asm-17x9-rpf1/

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/104...-lots-of-pics/
Old 06-24-2014, 05:31 PM

Received 564 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by bngl3rt
For example, is this a fair price for this car?

http://www.racingjunk.com/Honda/1822...nda-S2000.html
For that price, I'd rather get one of the other two cars that i've listed. I'd lean more toward the spa 2003 - best year of the AP1, and I know the owner kept up with the maintenance and did a number of track maintenance mods.

It's been a while since he's been on the track, but the car was competitive in the STOCK class for the S2K Challenge in 2011 and 2012.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:01 PM

I guess I have to get more posts before I'm allowed to PM anyone about their cars listed here...

Do I need a hardtop? Is it just for aero or does it actually provide additional roll protection beyond what the Hard Dog bar would?

Over on NSX Prime someone told me "AP1 (00-03) for 10-12k and a clean AP2 (04+) for 15-16K+" - that being a near-stock car that I would have to build myself. Obviously it's worth something to me to have the basic "track reliability mods" already done.

Thanks for the links!
Old 06-25-2014, 11:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bngl3rt
I guess I have to get more posts before I'm allowed to PM anyone about their cars listed here...

Do I need a hardtop? Is it just for aero or does it actually provide additional roll protection beyond what the Hard Dog bar would?

Over on NSX Prime someone told me "AP1 (00-03) for 10-12k and a clean AP2 (04+) for 15-16K+" - that being a near-stock car that I would have to build myself. Obviously it's worth something to me to have the basic "track reliability mods" already done.

Thanks for the links!
There have been issues with people registering accounts and then scamming people through PM so that is why the rules have changed on PM's. Perhaps you can post in their thread and have them contact you.

I wouldn't say you need a hardtop, most do it for looks and/or they dont want to replace their soft top. The OEM top is aluminum and alot of glass so I doubt it does much for protection. Some organizations allow the S2000 to run with factory roll hoops.

The prices you were quoted are pretty spot on. Obviously there are super clean and low mileage ones outside of that price and beat ones under that, along with the newer cars, 06-09, being pricey.

I can't tell you which car to get as it is the owners preference, I have an AP1 chassis with AP2 looks and powertrain. Some people prefer 06+ for DBW and the ability to flash the ECU with hondata.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:23 PM

If you like the Yellow ap1, i can have him contact you. He's a friend of mine.

Quick Reply: Hello, I'm looking for a track car.