S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Lessons learnt the hard way

Old 07-20-2014, 08:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lessons learnt the hard way

I not to proud of my self at this.. never thought of myself as too bright nor all too stupid.. merely another guy..

Had a weekend planned.. I thought I had thought out.. it included arranging with a sister over a few hundred miles away a visit with our Mom and I could take a few days to drive around and sorta get outta town...

you know when you go over a check list the what to not forget, an the do I have enough of this or that.. one imagines every maybe, and gives options...

We left the house and cruised north, it had been awhile since I had the pleasure of highway cruising speeds.. dealing with traffic and so forth, St Augie area is quiet... Jacksonville is not... I got in some spirited lane changing, an keeping with the flow an maneuvering around Jax and out I 10.. I 10 is normally a fun idle across the state.. didn't think anything of it... did have a stop an go accident, looked like a SUV hydroplaned.. hope they were alright.. that did last a while, nearly an hour'ish.. and then back up to cruise on through Tallie an beyond, up into Alabama and the sisters house.. visited a bit.. said, I'd see them later, went for a drive...pulled into a station filled up, thought to check the oil and told myself, I checked it "back at the house "............................. ... leaving some town in Alabama, there was a TL.. nothing spirited, I was idle.. I stepped it up after I hit Florida and I 10 again.. and we sort of traded frontage as we sort of diced along... not that spirited.. a few... well... you know... but.. gawd.. it was.. this little, noise, I heard.. no light, no over heat, nothing that told me I was so stupid.... an I heard it knock.. oh crap.. okkkkkkkkkay.... ... ok... at idle, 1k.. 1.5 2k lite knock.. I limped it up an off ramp an over to a holiday inn express.. not that,, that helped much... but.. I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express... so.... I'm going to rebuild this...

I made all the important messages an phone calls, a pick up an a dollie soon enough arrived the next morning... over these couple days since I have of course, sourced out what are my options.. and what is the extent of the actual damages... sent pm's to the people, I feel know enough about what I'm getting ready to face and.. I... am going to start with several of your / their, suggestions..

one of our best S2kI personalities suggested short block it, zero miles on most parts.. and I find that the longest term concept.. others, have suggested upon seeing the actual damage to consider K24 kit it.. another sound an interesting concept to respect... my best S2kI bud tells me to shoot myself.. I refuse to give in to popular pressures..... ... and, I will not leave out I could'a have V-8.... cept I don't wanta havea V-8.. unless it's a Honda or maybe one a those... no... insanity ... can ya shoehorn an RA121E in an S2000....

gawd the amazing things that happen when you stay in a Holiday Inn Express...
Old 07-20-2014, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I'd go with the RA004E...that engine was magic!

In seriousness, the new OEM short block is probably going to be the cheapest and most reliable option.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've now changed my life in the following respects:

1. I loved reading your thread.
2. I also hated it at the same time, because it was pretty hard to read.
3. But you somehow come off as a nice guy, so it's okay? Maybe?
4. I cannot gauge whether you are a responsible drive, or not?
5. I still feel bad for your situation.
6. The one thing you didn't tell us was what your actual oil level was after the incident, but I'm assuming from earlier in your post that it was below the bottom X.
7. I do think the short block is the way to go after you've done all of the proper diagnostics and determine that you indeed blowd'ed up your motor.

This was a new experience for me.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What happened to OP's car?

A) Hydroplaned into his mom's SUV
B) Oil starvation
C) Too much VTAK racing a TL
Old 07-20-2014, 11:55 AM

no worries... I was topped off in the morning when Mom and I left.. .. I carried 2 quarts in car.. I said it like it happen, I thought, na, I checked this morning at the house.. didn't really get on it all that much.. well.. yes.. I did get on it when I wanted to.. I drive ok.. driven on several continents.. not really one to be all twisted around.. grew up with a lot of british sports cars and then put myself through college an university with a wrench and British Leyland..

A : the SUV people I hope are ok.. it was raining on an off all up I 10.. I drive accordingly..

B: yes...

C: I didn't think I was.. I never was over 10+.. florida.. you can pretty much crusie control 10+, 11 an up, they want to ask you why???

I tend to use lower gears during spirited driving conditions, so as if I wanted to... instant nirvana.. so.. I was in upper rev's, I ate the oil... no mystery..

Old 07-20-2014, 01:40 PM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

I guess I am the slowest one here. You were doing what the car is designed for. How on earth could you have snarfed up all that oil in one day from "spirited" driving without some kind of leak/failure?

I check my oil all the time but I don't check it several times a day.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:17 PM

I don't know.. I felt I was driving it normal.. and actually less spirited then usual... felt I was prepared for a 700 mile trip.. done plenty.. knowing an AP1 at rev's uses oil.. I do check, and usually more then once if on a extended drive..

the TL drive wasn't anything.. just we were both moving 70 plus'ish 80.. neither one of us was runnin, to me it was like sliding through the way I-10 rolls.. it is some elevation changes, for florida, they are our mountains.. and it was going up an incline when I heard the noise.. and rolled down the incline to the off ramp @ idle after I added the 2 quarts I had...so even my first measure was sort of uphill, so when I talked with one of the guru's.. told him it was bone dry, I think that's when he said shoot yourself... actually he said, it's Friday night, your in the middle of no where of all of florida.. you could do this.. then recommended a short block...

here at home to see how bad it was I added a little over 2 more quarts to reach proper level.. so.. I ate up about 4 plus quarts.. going to flush it tomorrow an see what metal shows up.. start the process of pulling...

I still like the OEM direction the better then used with miles..

Old 07-20-2014, 03:50 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Checked the oil and it was good, drove 700 miles and then was 4qrts low? Something isn't making sense here
Old 07-20-2014, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Checked the oil and it was good, drove 700 miles and then was 4qrts low? Something isn't making sense here
Agreed. That much oil loss you would smell while driving I'm sure. Like a leak at the VTEC solenoid or something. Drain bolt, oil cap, or any of those hemorrhage areas would lock it up really quickly I would think.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:51 AM

Sounds weird unless the original check was wrong. Did you check both sides like you should? That is alot of oil loss for that amount of driving. I've heard of a quart burning off in 1000-2000 miles, but not what you describe. Sucks to hear!

Quick Reply: Lessons learnt the hard way