Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Lower energy level

Old 05-26-2015, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VTEC is always good to keep the adrenaline flowing
Old 05-26-2015, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks from changing my diet alone. Then I got my treadmill and started to up my exercise level. I was able to run a 5k in 31:00 right off the bat without working too hard which I'm happy with. I've lost another 5 lbs in another 2 weeks since then so I'm down about 10-11 lbs right now. I definitely feel much better so I'm thinking it was diet and/or stress related that is finally falling off. I'm still not at the energy level I was was but I'm hoping it will continue to climb to my college days, which were only ~4 years ago. We shall see. It'd definitely taking longer for my legs to recover after a run now, though. I'm hoping that will pass too. I can only run once every 3 days or so.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:56 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

That recovery time will definitely drop. I have a bad habit of being all gung ho for a long while, then getting busy and not going for a while. Each time that recovery lag comes back, but goes away after a while. I will go from running 3 days a week to 5 within a few weeks of regular running.

Be sure you are getting all your vitamins (and if you take actual vitamins, at least get some good cold processedd ones). Also look up good recovery foods. There are a lot of them out there that will help with recovery. Berries are one good source, but there are many others as well.

Congrats on the weight loss and improvements! It is not easy to get yourself back on track again. I am kinda in the same boat, as I have been very hit and miss on workouts lately. Partially because of time, partially because of some massive stress in the general day to day lately, which means I need to exercise even more!
Old 05-27-2015, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by engifineer
That recovery time will definitely drop. I have a bad habit of being all gung ho for a long while, then getting busy and not going for a while. Each time that recovery lag comes back, but goes away after a while. I will go from running 3 days a week to 5 within a few weeks of regular running.

Be sure you are getting all your vitamins (and if you take actual vitamins, at least get some good cold processedd ones). Also look up good recovery foods. There are a lot of them out there that will help with recovery. Berries are one good source, but there are many others as well.

Congrats on the weight loss and improvements! It is not easy to get yourself back on track again. I am kinda in the same boat, as I have been very hit and miss on workouts lately. Partially because of time, partially because of some massive stress in the general day to day lately, which means I need to exercise even more!
I've been very proud of myself. Usually I'm the instant gratification type (like my wife) and get burned out easily. This time I told myself I would "be good" for 4 weeks then go back to my normal crap in the hopes that it would keep my motivated with an end goal... but fortunately with that in mind I'm still going strong and it's been more than 4 weeks so I'm very happy with that, I don't feel burned out yet. I fall off my healthy regime a couple times a week but I don't really care too much about it since the rest of the week I'm eating well.

I do take the men's vitacraves chewy vitamins every day, I have since I started. I also have been making berry smoothies on almost a daily or even twice daily basis this whole time. I didn't realize they helped with recovery time, that's great. I was more eating/drinking them as a high water-content, high antioxidant content, vitamins, etc type food that was relatively low in calories.

I've also picked up beef jerky and peanut butter protein bars as my source of protein. I picked up a pack of whey protein from Costco yesterday as well but I'm trying to figure out the best use/schedule for using it. I don't want to bulk up, I thought I could use it as a muscle recovery agent for after my longer runs and when I start working out more. I'm thinking of half-size servings for that, especially because I don't like that it's a VERY high source of cholesterol which is something I am trying to work on. Fortunately, the rest of my diet is very very low on bad cholesterol so I suppose it's okay.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:53 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

There is something to more protein and less carbs (well... at least bread, potatoes, and rice). Been trying to eat more proteins and less carbs for last two years. Don't seem to get as tired at work or after weekend chores.

Congrats, on the weight loss!