Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

24 Heures du Mans 13-14 JUN 2015

Old 05-29-2015, 06:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 24 Heures du Mans 13-14 JUN 2015

Gentlemen (and ladies?),

The 83rd running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans is quickly approaching. I was asked to lead off a seperate thread to keep the congestion down as this is THE race of the year, and it deserves its own thread, right?

The 24LM is always very exciting. I've been watching as a kid since the mid-late 90s when it was aired on Speedvision. But now, I believe, and some racing journalists will tell you, sports car racing as a whole is reaching a golden era. The FIA and ACO have reached an excellent spot with the regulations and the "endurance" racing, is just ridiculous.

Le Mans is just another stop for the FIA World Endurance Championship as every entry in the WEC gets an automatic invite, while others come from the few various Le Mans style series' ran around the world, as invited by the ACO.

Last year we watched as Porsche joined the fight in LMP1.. And add to the excitement it did. Now comes another challenger, mighty Nissan..

From the USA we will see an entry from Ben Keating and Riley Motorsports in GTE AM with a GT3-R Viper.

As well as the usual double entry from Corvette Racing with the C7R's in GTE Pro.

From the USA also is Patrick Dempsey's GTE AM Porsche entry as well as Extreme Speed Motorsports LMP2 entries. However, they are only competing in the WEC this year.

Circuit de la Sarthe is located in Le Mans, France. An 8.469 mile track with lots of history and changes.. including some this year. Cars are converted into low downforce spec, or commonly Le Mans spec, as higher speeds are more rewarding than cornering speeds due to the circuits' long straights. Per wikipedia, up to 85% of the track is ran full throttle.

Allan McNish explains Circuit de la Sarthe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQEXncsFwyo
Old 05-29-2015, 06:20 AM

24 Hours of Le Mans Schedule

Schedule:

Wednesday, June 10
4-8 p.m. (10 a.m.-2 p.m. ET) Free Practice
10 p.m.-12 a.m. (4-6 p.m. ET) Qualifying 1

Thursday, June 11
7-9 p.m. (1-3 p.m. ET) Qualifying 2
10 p.m.-12 a.m. (4-6 p.m. ET) Qualifying 3

Friday, June 12
10 a.m.-6 p.m. (4 a.m.-12 p.m. ET) Pit Walk
5:30-7:30 p.m (11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. ET) Drivers Parade

Saturday, June 13
9 – 9:45 a.m. (3 – 3:45 a.m. ET) Warmup
3 p.m. (9 a.m ET) – Start – 24 Hours of Le Mans

Where/how to Watch

Television:

FOX Sports broadcast schedule (all times ET and subject to change):

• FOX Sports GO (Saturday, June 13 at 8:30 a.m. to Sunday, June 14 at 9:30 AM)
• Saturday, June 13 (8:30 a.m. to 12:00 PM, FOX Sports 2)
• Saturday, June 13 (7:00 p.m. to 8:00 PM, FOX Sports 1)
• Saturday, June 13 (11:00 p.m. to 12:30 AM, FOX Sports 2)
• Sunday, June 14 (3:30 a.m. to 7:30 AM, FOX Sports 1)
• Sunday, June 14 (7:30 a.m. to 9:00 AM, FOX Sports 2)
• Sunday, June 14 (9:00 a.m. to 9:30 AM, FOX Sports 1)

Internet/Streaming: Streaming is available via phone/tablet app through the WEC website. It is a paid service but it works very well. You can opt for just Le Mans or the full season. More details here http://www.fiawec.com/app.html

Typically multiple manufacturers will broadcast their own streams and/or in car cameras via youtube or other services. These will be updated as available

Live Watch Party: The national corvette museum located in Bowling Green, KY will be offering a live viewing party of the complete 24 hours of le mans.

http://www.corvettemuseum.org/regist...ans/info.shtml

On June 13-14, the world’s greatest car manufacturers will battle at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Through special arrangement with the ACO, three locations outside of France will be given commercial free, direct feed of the race... Berlin, Tokyo and Bowling Green, Kentucky at the National Corvette Museum.
We are planning to show the race on our 28 foot giant screen in the Chevrolet Theater, with live timing and scoring, refreshments during the entire 24 hours, private Skypes hourly from the Corvette Racing team and door prizes. We think this will be the next best thing to being there yourself!
Space will be very limited - pre-registration early is of the essence!
Registration for this event is $100 per person and will include:

24 hour opening of the NCM’s Theater for viewing purposes
Early opening of NCM on Saturday, June 13
Continental breakfast both Saturday and Sunday (Corvette Café catering)
Light dinner service – wraps, sub sandwiches, chips, cookies, drink (Corvette Café catering)
Cash bar will be open Saturday from 5:15pm - ???
Snacks & refreshments provided all 24 hours.

24 Hours of Le Mans Entry List

Le Mans 24 Hours Test Day, What is it?

The test day is held two weeks before the Le Mans 24 Hours. This allows the teams to set up home inside the circuit without having to move again before the blue riband event in the 2015 FIA World Endurance Championship.

The aim of this day of free practice is to give the entrants the opportunity to come and test their cars on the 13.629-km Le Mans 24-Hours circuit, and also to allow certain teams who will not take part in the race to discover this unique layout.

This day is not obligatory except for new cars with one model minimum per newcomer, plus teams and drivers who have never raced in the Le Mans 24 Hours. In addition, the drivers who have never taken part in the race or who are not on the list of confirmed drivers since 2010, will have to follow a course on a simulator prior to the test day and must cover at least 10 laps minimum during the session itself. The ACO reserves itself the right to refuse the entry of a driver if his/her performances or skills are not up to the mark.

The cars allowed to take part are:
• The two prototype categories in the Le Mans 24 Hours (LM P1 and LM 2), the two GTE categories (LM GTE Pro and LM GTE Am) invited to take part in compliance with the supplementary regulations of the event.
• The LM P1s, LM P2s, LM GTE Pros and LM GTE Ams, which are not invited to race in the 2015 Le Mans 24 Hours, but comply with the technical specifications of the 2015 FIA World Endurance Championship.
• Cars complying with the LM P3 regulations (they are not allowed to take part in the 2015 Le Mans 24 Hours).
• Innovative cars (2 maximum).

The test day will take place on the 13,629-km circuit used for the Le Mans 24 Hours, which has been installed specially for the occasion. The public roads used are closed to traffic very early on Sunday morning 31st May and will reopen around 19h30.

Scrutineering and administrative checks will take place on Friday 29th May (09h30-18h00) and Saturday 30th May (08h30-15h00) inside the circuit.

Free practice will be held on Sunday 31st May between 09h00-13h00 and 14h00-18h00.

24 Hours of Le Mans 2015 - Improvement work at the circuit

As is the case every year, safety improvement work has been carried out at the Circuit de la Sarthe. The length of the circuit remains unchanged at 13.629 km. However, the areas around the track have undergone upgrades.

The grass verges along the 2.2 km section between Mulsanne Corner and the entrance to the Porsche Curves have been asphalted over, so drivers won't end up "mowing" through the grass if they have to avoid other cars in difficulty here.

Likewise, the hard shoulders have been stabilised in the Ford chicanes and the entry to the Bugatti circuit, and after the first Porsche curve, either side of the road bridge. Still in the Porsche Curves, the gravel trap to the right of the track has been widened by around 30 metres and is now preceded by a concreted section. The spectators' area has thus been moved back by as much, giving drivers better visibility of the road ahead.

There are no changes in the public area at the Dunlop chicane but the track itself has been resurfaced here. Resurfacing work has also been carried out on part of the permanent Bugatti circuit, which celebrates its 50th anniversary this year.

Alongside these improvements to the track and its surroundings, some of the circuit infrastructures have also been modernised. The lights used to warn drivers of dangers on the track have been upgraded and the second half of the fuel pumps in the pits have been replaced.

Drivers and their teams will get to see all this next Sunday at the Test Day, the prelude to this year's 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:21 AM

reserved
Old 05-29-2015, 06:21 AM

Sources/Links of Interest

http://www.fiawec.com
http://www.24h-lemans.com/live/en
http://www.sportscar365.com
http://www.dailysportscar.com
http://www.motorsport.com
Old 05-29-2015, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cannot wait! The first two WEC races this year have been fantastic.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:08 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks for starting this up. Great info in the posts up there
Old 05-29-2015, 08:20 AM

No problem. Strong coffee this morning I'll keep adding to the posts above as I have already so keep checking back!
Old 05-29-2015, 05:46 PM

ESM's full livery unveiled. They will run the Rolling Stone sponsor due to French law banning alcohol advertisement.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couple Le Mans history bits from Team Joest website. The bottom link from 2008 is one of my favorites races ever. I was working at Audi at the time and watching the stream online. The owner of the dealership walked up behind me and asked what I was doing. I was so engrossed in the race I didn't even hear him until he grabbed my shoulder. I apologized and told him it was so intense already for only being a hour in. The owner was a racer. He's been racing Porsche, Audi and other cars for years, great driver too. He laughed and said "You're really into that", but by then I had gone back to the stream and zoned out. He closed my laptop which instantly made me fear I was getting fired. He then told me, "We're slow today. Go home so you can enjoy the race in comfort." before walking off. I didn't sleep that entire weekend. Whenever I watch the Audi Truth in 24 video, I still get goosebumps lol. I'm a huge Audi fanboy.

http://www.joest-racing.de/en/index....5-24h-lemans-f

Old 05-30-2015, 08:08 AM

That is awesome. Audi has definitely created lots of memories.

2015 Group Picture

Quick Reply: 24 Heures du Mans 13-14 JUN 2015