Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Tires

Old 06-17-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Tires

I was wondering if anyone had these on their s2000?

http://www.continentaltire.com/produ...-20545zr17-88w

I was looking over what would be the best all season tire would be and decided on the DWS after many recommendations on this site. While looking online I found a pretty good deal on these improved variation on the DWS.... the DWS 06. I'm getting them put on tomorrow and wondered if any of you guys had a chance to try these out?

I don't do any super spirited driving as the car is my daily, just hit vtec when there is an open road so I think these will work great!
Old 06-20-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

I have not seen those before. I run the DW on my DD '06 and like them, I don't run my S in the snow(have a Jeep for that) so I don't run all-season tires on the S. If you DD your car and put a lot of miles on your S then I don't see why those tires won't serve your needs. On my '06 I went with taller tires than stock, 235/45-17 up front with 245/45-17 out back. Have over 80k miles with those size tires on my S and I've taking my S all over the 11 western states.

ROD
Old 06-20-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

We ran a set on my wife's '01 BMW 330ci convertible. The OEM tires are Pirelli P-Zero AS, but they were pretty pricey at the time. We went with the DWS because of the excessive rain in Savannah at times. They rode well and got good mileage. They weren't as responsive as the Pirelli's and felt a little vague in comparison.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:05 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The DWS 06 is brand new with little published history. The best A/S previously was the Michelin Pilot AS/3. The Conti may be better or worse. Historically, the Conti's have been a bit quieter/better riding at the expense of some steering crispness. Whether that is still the case is unknown.

I never think of the S2000 as a winter car. Do you need all-season tires rather than a good performance tire like the Michelin Pilot Super Sport? For example, the S2000 was only offered with the RE050...no all-season alternative.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:00 AM

I purchased my s with a set of DWS extreme contacts on them, but assuming its a previous version... they handled pretty nicely in all conditions, was really impressed with their ability in the snow (and at the time still being pretty new to FR's). This year, Ima try to keep it benched for the winter though, just to avoid all the salt/chemicals on the roads. If its not going to be driven in the snow, then I'd look at something a little more performance oriented/ not A/S
Old 06-30-2015, 06:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The DWS06 is the new version of the Extreme for Conti. They improved the wet and dry handling on the tire and retained the winter traction. I would not recommend the Michelin if you do have snow to drive in. They are below average in the snow. The new DWS06 still has the 50K mileage waarranty and 2 year road hazard waaranty. For a daily driver that wants to drive year round or is not driving to the limits it would be a very good choice. We did a test recently and it should be posted soon on our web site.
If I can help let me know.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:55 AM

I have run the original DWS on my 2006 S2000 through three Pa winters and they are amazing. I can start off on a hill in six inches of snow with no problem. Everyone at work kinda hates me because "hell he is here and he drives an S2000". I am looking into replacing the rears with the new DWS 06 soon. If they are anything like the original DWS they will be awesome.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run DWS tires (previous generation) on two different cars (Boxster S and 330xi). I *hated* them on both cars. You can say goodbye to any possible steering feel or responsiveness with these tires. They are mush. I hate them. Did I mention that I hate them?

I'd walk to work in the winter rather than using these tires.

I have a set of Bridgestone RE970AS on my car for winter, on the stock wheels. They aren't as nice as the RE71s I run in the summer, but at least they aren't completely hideous like the Contis.

I will never buy a Conti tire again.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:31 AM

Just got my DWS from 4 wheel online last month. They are not harsh on the road. Nice noise control and traction too. Overall, I'm happy with these tires except their soft sidewall cornering response.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The difference in the DWS and the new DWS06 is the new tire has better wet and dry performance. They did not give up any of the winter traction. For a daily driver with some cold and wintery conditions it is the best that we have tested.
If I can help let me know.

Quick Reply: New Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Tires