S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Armor All Products - Any Good?

Old 06-28-2015, 09:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Armor All Products - Any Good?

I have always stayed away from Armor All for more premium products... In the past, I have heard poor things about Armor All, and in particular, their "Original Protectant". Some said that once you used their product, that you had to keep using their product, or the surface starts to get damaged and looking bad.

I was a bit of a car care snob...

I got an Armor All car care gift pack for Christmas last year from a close family member, and I am trying to figure out if the stuff is usable on my well kept, well cared for cars, or if I toss it or regift it...

Anyone have any experience with Armor All's products? Worth keeping and using?
Old 06-29-2015, 05:31 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I use armor all natural finish interior detailed - works fantastically well. Natural shine, none of the greasy crap. Would recommend.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:27 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

I read a pretty in depth chemists take on Armour All and how it reacts with plastic/vinyl/rubber formulations used in cars. Bottom line is it is one of the worst things to use. Other ingredients in it also tend to attack plastic and attract dirt. Throw it away. You will see why in a few years. It is like Thompson's Water Seal: highly advertised but worse than worthless.

Other mid-range products provide better care and have UV protection. I have posted some detailed analysis on silicone paste (3M dialectic grease) that is the same chemically as Shin Etsu, for example, but cheaper. Great for rubber. Meguires is a good middle of the pack brand. Raggtop for the top, along with 303, is top rated.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:41 AM

Can you post the link to your source? There was an incredibly old report on it ruining tires, but that was old.

My Integra dash looked new after I owned it for 10 years, first S2000 good after 5 years...
Old 07-01-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

On the road and only have my glitchy iPad.

From what I understand (**disclaimer - I am not a chemist**) the polymers in plastics and vinyls consist of Bis-(2-ethylhexyl)phthlateakadioctyl phthlate, also known as DOP. This is a plasticiser that makes polymers soft and pliable. It evaporates when exposed to UV light.

The arguments against Armour All are as follows:

Armour All brings the DOP to the surface and allows it to evaporate quicker.
Many studies show this is true, while others show that this is not the case, so I guess this needs further testing.

Armour All doesn't block UV, thus allowing the DOP to evaporate.
This is true as far as I know.

Armour All does not seal the DOP, nor replace it.
This seems to be true also.

Armor All was reforumlated several years ago, mostly due to changing VOC regulations that they and all competitors face on an ongoing basis, and it's now basically just a water based dressing not terribly unlike 303, or several of Meguires dressings. It does tend to impart a pretty high shine still, which I personally don't care for. Of course, just because many of these are water based doesn't mean their all identical - far from it. 303 is an excellent product, but I think Meguires M40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner or Hyper Dressing does a good job too. I use Ragtopp for my top. I have also heard the water based products can rot some stiching in upholstery.

Conclusion: Using Armour All will not protect your rubber pads from exposure and *might* increase the evaporation rate.

303 Aerospace Protectant has UV blockers and is not oil based so it will not dry out the surfaces it is used on. Meguires products also contain UV blockers.

Other products, IMO, for just a little more money, do a much better job.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:31 AM

Yeah still heresay
Old 07-03-2015, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try doing a vinyl , leather or plastic repair that has been getting the ArmorAll treatment........is sometimes impossible because the silicon in it will not allow anything else to bond to it.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The stuff Armor All adds to their products is disconcerting. I stopped using it, like, 10 years ago. My dad insists that it's safe stuff even after I told him of what the ingredients are. Whatever..

I use 303 and Optimum leather/vinyl interchangeably.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:37 PM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

I have a detailing business and there is no way I would ever use that crap. In addition to all of the above criticism it smells like $hit. I use products such as Aerospace 303 or other products from my detailing supplier.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:36 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
I have a detailing business and there is no way I would ever use that crap. In addition to all of the above criticism it smells like $hit. I use products such as Aerospace 303 or other products from my detailing supplier.
Nailed it.

Quick Reply: Armor All Products - Any Good?