Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Potential buyer - I want me some S2K

Old 06-28-2015, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Potential buyer - I want me some S2K

S2Kers,

My name is Matt, and I am new to western NC. I'm originally from PA, and have coveted the S2000 ownership experience since I was in high school. Living in PA brought lots of snow, which of course was not the best environment for lightweight, RWD sports car ownership. So, I did the natural thing for car nuts in snowy landscapes do and bought a new 2011 Subaru WRX hatchback in WRB. The car has been all kinds of awesome, and a great daily driver for the past 4-5 years. Now that I'm in the Carolinas, I'm getting the itch to buy the car I've always wanted but could never rationalize.

That being said, how do you guys get along in the winter? Are you able to use summer tires all year round, or would you recommend getting a set of snows? Also, I've found an '04 at a dealership near where I'm at, is it worth holding out for an 06-09 for VSA? I have very little experience with RWD, and have heard/read that these cars can be a handful in the rain. Does anyone ever feel unsafe in the S2K? The lack of side airbags worries me a little, especially coming out of the Subaru, which have proven over time to be very safely constructed vehicles.

Any buying advice would be appreciated as well. Dealer vs. Private Sale, specific model advice(I'd like an AP2), etc etc.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-28-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think VSA is the reason I'd go for a late model AP2. I lost mine when I put in an aftermarket wheel and never cared enough to bring it back, not to mention I used my for a DD and never had a problem in rain, even with 6-7 degrees camber in the rear. Only became a problem when my tires were showing cords and then it definitely was scooting around.

That being said, I'd still buy a late model AP2 over anything else. Easier to drive day to day, safety features are nice, overall more refined. I wouldn't buy from a dealer, but that's just me. Better deals to be had in private party, but make sure you get the car checked out prior to purchase.

I'll have my one of a kind 07 finished and for sale here in a month or so if you can wait lol.

and welcome to NC. What city are you in?
Old 06-29-2015, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Your experience will vary depending on which part of the state you're in. The western part of the state definitely sees more snow and colder temperatures, so you probably shouldn't run summer tires year-round. I'm in the central part of the state (Raleigh) and run all-seasons during the winter months. My car is a non-VSA AP2 and I've had no issues in the handful of times I've driven in light snow.

With the S, the general and obvious rule of thumb is to drive carefully in adverse weather. There are countless threads/pictures on here of people that have wrecked in the rain, snow, or ice. Usually, it comes down to two things: inadequate equipment (overly worn tires, wrong tread compound, etc.) or poor driving. If you stay out of VTEC and keep throttle/brake inputs smooth as not to upset the balance of the car, you won't have much of a problem driving in adverse weather.

As far as buying an S, check out the info in this thread:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/775...-a-used-s2000/

If you're looking for a DD, I'd recommend an AP2. It's a bit more tractable and not as high-strung as an AP1, plus it looks better IMO. Then again, others prefer the AP1. Both have their pros and cons. Hopefully you can figure out which is best for you!
Old 06-29-2015, 08:39 AM

I am getting ready to list my 2008 for sale. 83000 miles, chicane grey, great shape. I am in Charlotte. Let me know if you are interested and I can shoot a few photos over.

Alex
Old 06-29-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Bah!
Tip number one don't drive like an A$shat and you won't have a problem. People seem to forget that until the 70's most cars were rear wheel drive and VSA was a dream. I've had 2 AP2s one with VSA and one without. It's hardly noticeable. I have relatives in NC and visit there often. Winter is mild in comparison to the Northeast so you should be able to get by with some all seasons rather than snow tires. Snow will be fairly rare especially in the amounts that you're used to.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you guys think of this deal. One owner 2004 AP2 at a dealership, $19,500 is the price with 43,000 miles. Seems to be well taken care of, drove it tonight and it seems pretty tight. I was really hoping for a newer model, but the price on this one owner seems pretty competitive. Clean Carfax, no accidents.

Originally Posted by juntsky
I don't think VSA is the reason I'd go for a late model AP2. I lost mine when I put in an aftermarket wheel and never cared enough to bring it back, not to mention I used my for a DD and never had a problem in rain, even with 6-7 degrees camber in the rear. Only became a problem when my tires were showing cords and then it definitely was scooting around.

That being said, I'd still buy a late model AP2 over anything else. Easier to drive day to day, safety features are nice, overall more refined. I wouldn't buy from a dealer, but that's just me. Better deals to be had in private party, but make sure you get the car checked out prior to purchase.

I'll have my one of a kind 07 finished and for sale here in a month or so if you can wait lol.

and welcome to NC. What city are you in?
Thanks for the advice, PM me the specifics of your car if you could. Depending on miles/condition/price etc I might be interested. Whats the best way to judge price for these cars? Values seem to be all over the place. I'm in Hickory, NC.

Originally Posted by ofsalesmen
Welcome to the forum!

Your experience will vary depending on which part of the state you're in. The western part of the state definitely sees more snow and colder temperatures, so you probably shouldn't run summer tires year-round. I'm in the central part of the state (Raleigh) and run all-seasons during the winter months. My car is a non-VSA AP2 and I've had no issues in the handful of times I've driven in light snow.

With the S, the general and obvious rule of thumb is to drive carefully in adverse weather. There are countless threads/pictures on here of people that have wrecked in the rain, snow, or ice. Usually, it comes down to two things: inadequate equipment (overly worn tires, wrong tread compound, etc.) or poor driving. If you stay out of VTEC and keep throttle/brake inputs smooth as not to upset the balance of the car, you won't have much of a problem driving in adverse weather.

As far as buying an S, check out the info in this thread:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/775...-a-used-s2000/

If you're looking for a DD, I'd recommend an AP2. It's a bit more tractable and not as high-strung as an AP1, plus it looks better IMO. Then again, others prefer the AP1. Both have their pros and cons. Hopefully you can figure out which is best for you!
Thanks for the welcome! I've had a good look through that thread, are dealers typically able to do a compression and leak down test? I'm pretty set on an AP2, I'd like to buy as new as possible.

Originally Posted by Eyefly
I am getting ready to list my 2008 for sale. 83000 miles, chicane grey, great shape. I am in Charlotte. Let me know if you are interested and I can shoot a few photos over.

Alex
Yeah, please let me know the specifics. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:02 PM

Tried to PM you, but the system isn't allowing me to.

Just shot you an e-mail.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by evo5039
Thanks for the welcome! I've had a good look through that thread, are dealers typically able to do a compression and leak down test? I'm pretty set on an AP2, I'd like to buy as new as possible.
Most places should be able to do a complete PPI for less than $100, which could include a compression / leak-down test. I'd suggest a good independent shop over the dealer. People on here should be able to suggest a reputable place in Hickory.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:00 AM

Not sure why pm is not working. My cell is 704 957-2448. Car is bone stock and very clean. I can text over a few pics and you can stop by to take a look.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:12 AM

http://rs296.pbsrc.com/albums/mm184/...gf.jpg~320x480

Quick Reply: Potential buyer - I want me some S2K