S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Chefs NEW Kraftwerks problem

Old 07-07-2015, 08:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chefs NEW Kraftwerks problem

Ok so after a month and a half of my car being on jack stands in my garage and getting all new Megan mounts in and saikou Michi dual catch cans and the CNC 8.8 diff kit with 5.9 axels and hubs ( I will have another thread on my amazing experience with Jason and Cameron ) , I finally got it ready for Watkins glen ..

I'm goin round the glen at half throttle for 2 sessions and shifting at 7 k the whole time .. I come off track and realize there's oil all over the sub frame near my engine oil filter and under the kraftwerks resivoir can .. .. Long story short ..after checking all oil connections I believe the oil came out of the can .. At first I thought the bottom of the can blew out under pressure .. After pressure testing the can realized it don't hold pressure cause of the cap seal .. So it must have boiled over and got too hot and sprayed through the cap and mostly down under the can .. So the car ran with no oil in the blower and when I came off track it bearing was making noise .. Jason (thanks!) helped me get the blower off and we found metal flakes in the output shaft of the blower leading down to the intercooler .. Ended up taking the kit off and driving 5 hours at 3500 Rpms all the way home ..

And if your thinking it's an install issue its NOT.. Kit was installed by billman250 the cars regular mechanic ...

Also did not have heat issues in April but now in 90 degree weather it's a different story ..

I lost my money for the second track day .. And now won't make it to poconos either and most likely lost that money too ..

I have contacted kraftwerks and sent pics and videos to them .. I am waiting on a response to see what the solution will be ..

I don't know why the system will over heat .. .. I would like kraftwerks to have an answer for that and to replace all my parts .. Cut belt to get it off the hot engine so I can drive home , blown blower , maybe new can? And new oil at 90 bux a bottle .. As i am taking a huge hit on my track day losses .. I also expect them to overnight all this stuff .. I will be updating as soon as I talk with them hopefully tomorrow ..

I wanted to let everyone know of this problem and get some feedback .. To say the least i am very disappointed in the reliability of this kit .. I'm starting to thing it's nice for a few pulls around the streets but probably not a track charger ... How can you take your car to the track and push it hard ( which I wasn't ) if these problems keep arising .. Let see which way this build goes and see how customer service comes into play here ...
Old 07-07-2015, 08:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At least it sounds like you didn't didn't get fragments ingested into your engine. My old tuner had his rotrex from his KWv1 kit explode on the track and fragments got into his engine.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

These kraftwerks stories are scaring me....
Old 07-08-2015, 03:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its the first story like this whe see so keep calm maybe just one unit defect out of the box its possible
Old 07-08-2015, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear bro. Hopefully they respond with some really good Customer Service. And like soulicious said "atleast it sounds like you didn't get fragments ingested into your engine" fingers crossed.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just speaking with Joe at KW yesterday. There was an S with a -81 kit running in 103° heat at Buttonwillow recently who is making 500 whp, apparently running the pants off everyone.

I personally never found my reservoir to be even too warm to touch after an aggressive 10-20 min stretch of driving (admittedly not on track, but off in the mountains where it was continuous, hard running).

Did you ever check the reservoir temp on previous sessions? It just doesn't seem likely that it boiled over, when a loose fitting, failed hose, or a loose or damaged cap are also possible.

Remember this setup is used on one of the earlier Koenigsegg models, so it must have some level of reliability for them to use it.

I'd like to see some more analysis before we come to any conclusions. I also look forward to hearing what Kw says.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:57 AM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Perhaps the oil cooler for the KW rotrex kit is designed for street driving, not track driving. It is rather chinese-ish.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:27 AM

The cap is not air tight any way .. I tried to pressure test it ... Which means to me that that's where it would blow out if anything ... And all fittings were tight .. But I did look like the oil came from bottom of can .. I did Watkins glen in April ... It was a lot cooler .. And this time it was nascar course a much faster course fourth gear and up half hour sessions... I wanna know what happened and why .. I don't want another blower and then it over heats again .
Old 07-08-2015, 05:30 AM

[QUOTE="Habitforming"]I was just speaking with Joe at KW yesterday. There was an S with a -81 kit running in 103° heat at Buttonwillow recently who is making 500 whp, apparently running the pants off everyone.

I bet he's running an extra oil cooler ... But there has to be an explanation for this ..
Old 07-08-2015, 05:36 AM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

The fluid level is supposed to be checked while the car is running. When the car is off the level is MUCH lower. if it was overfilled, perhaps this is why the oil came out of the can, high G loads in the corners could be the problem

Quick Reply: Chefs NEW Kraftwerks problem