Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock AP1 needs tires

Old 08-31-2015, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock AP1 needs tires

This is an old topic, but a lot of the information available is old too. I have seen some good stuff for AP2 configurations, but the stock AP1 handles a lot different. Also tire technology changes.

I have a totally stock 2001 Honda S2000. I have always replaced the OEM Bridgestone Potenza S-02 tires with identical S-02 tires. That was the advice I got some 12 years ago, and the car has seen a lot of S-02 tires.

I love taking car out in the summer. The top is always down. Well, unless I get caught in the rain, and that certainly happens. Sometimes lots of rain. The Bridgestone S-02s have been kinda scary in the rain. Or maybe that was because I waited too long to replace and they were bald. But I wouldn't mind getting something that could deal with rain a little better.

I live in upstate New York, and they use a lot of salt in the winter here, so before the first snow, the S2000 is in the barn, and it doesn't come out till spring. After the salt is thoroughly washed away. I guess I am saying that I am looking for summer performance tires.

I like the S-02 tires. I am not sure if they have changed them lately. Also they are expensive, and they haven't done well in the rain. Nothing I have read leads me to think this has changed. My stock tires are of course, 205/55R16-89W for the front and 225/50R16-92W for the rear.

I want a performance tire. I have an S2000 after all. I want it to handle the way an S2000 handles: grippy, responsive well balanced in the turn, good stopping and good acceleration. But I want road manners. Not too loud or too rough. I want it to behave like a S2000, not a old Camaro. Sorry if you have an old Camaro.

I am looking at the
Bridgestone Potenza S-02
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport
Continental Extreem Contact DW
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2

I can't seem to find the Hankook V12 or the Michelin Pilot Super Sport in my size. The Hankook RS3, Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec, and Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R all seem to be more for the track than the road. What am I missing?

Any advice would be most welcome. Please.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's too bad the Bridgestone S-04 and Michelin Pilot Super Sport doesn't come in that sizing, because that is what I'd recommend.

Without those two tires, I'd recommend the Bridgestone RE-11's. They have always gotten good reviews and other than not being the most competitive of all the extreme performance tires come lap times around a track, most everyone that has ran them has nothing, but good things to say about them. Being an extreme performance tire they will likely wear at least a little faster than the S-02's though that you're used to running. But as long as you realize you're driving a rwd sports car, they should be just fine in the rain, yet should noticeably improve the grip in dry conditions. The R-S3's on the other hand would take longer to heat up and probably wouldn't handle a cool, rainy day quite as well as the RE-11's or the S-02's that you are used to running.

I ran the Hankook R-S3's in the summer only, so that was a minor issue for me and it was easy to tell when they warmed up by their handling characteristics and only drove them in the rain and sub 60 degree temperatures a handful of times, but when I did I was extra careful, whereas with some other tires I may have been a *little less so in the same conditions.
Once warmed up though, on a nice warm'ish (70+ degree) day, they are a joy to drive on (imo), though it might be the car itself that attributed to that as well for me.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:25 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

RE-11.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:48 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

This has been covered numerous times recently. Re-11 is probably the best bet. Basically a newer better version of the old S02.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:38 AM

Cool. Very helpful. Kinda the route I was thinking, and hopefully helps others with the same issues. I will let you know how I like them.

Thank you very much!
Old 09-02-2015, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have RE-11's and I love them. But looks like they're being discontinued.

These have a tread width of 8.3" on 7" wide rims compared to S-02's 8.1", which is part of the reason why these tires are so good.

I'm looking at RE-71R's as replacements, but the 7.6" tread width is really turning me off.

I've had a set of Advan Neova AD08's with 8.5" tread width which I really liked, but they have a tendency to follow imperfections in the road which sometimes annoys me.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:09 PM

Hmm. Looks like the RE-11s are not actually available. I tried ordering a set from TireRack even though the availability for the rears said "backordered". I didn't mind waiting a little while, but it seems the RE-11s have been backordered for months, and TireRack still has no idea when or if they will ever get more in. So it seems that the RE-11 is not really an option, at least this year.

I read the reviews and the test report for the RE-71R's. They look like great tires, but they are not what I am looking for. TireRack calls it "Bridgestone's fastest DOT-legal street radial", and also says "... with quick outright speed and impressive traction in all directions - cornering, braking and especially accelerating. It also delivered amazing precision and exceptional communication to the driver." If my only concern was "ultimate dry and wet performance", the RE-71R looks like the best choice.

But I really need a tire I can live with on the road in real life conditions. The so called Extreme Performance Summer tires do not seem to fit this bill. Again from TireRack's test report, "The limited void space and shallower molded starting tread depth of these Extreme Performance Summer tires causes hydroplaning at lower speeds and with more abrupt onset than with other summer performance tires that feature less aggressive tread patterns." That was my problem with the S-02, and it seems like the RE-71 is going to be worse.

And then there seems to be a winter storage issue: "the Potenza RE-71R, like all Extreme Performance Summer tires, tires are not intended to be serviced, stored or driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures." I keep the S2 in the garage all winter, but do not want to maintain a storage temperature above freezing. Then there is noise. TireRack says the Kumho Ecsta V720 and RE-71R "are possibly the loudest passenger car street tires we have ever tested out on the road." And the ride: "... the Potenza RE-71R and Ecsta V720 tires feeling quite firm, to even somewhat harsh when encountering large, sharp impacts." Firm is good; harsh not so much.

So, no RE-11 and no RE-71R for me. I decided to stick with Bridgestone and that I would choose between the "new" S-02 and the RE-760 Sport. It was almost a toss up. The S-02 probably hasn't changed that much, so I expect it is a really good tire, with great dry handling, especially on an AP1 S2000. But I haven't seen any reviews on the "new" part, and although I can hope they have improved the hydroplaning resistance and wet handling, these are also 25% more expensive than the RE-760.

A lot of people love the RE-760 on the road, and while it seems that it is less precise in the turn, it is better in the rain, quiet, longer lasting, and cheaper. So I will give them a try. They are not quite in the same class as the others, but they are highly rated in the class they are in. If I don't like them, I can aways go back to the S-02s next time. It is not like tires on an S2000 last very long. Again, thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:46 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a set of RE760 on my daily Mazda3, it really is a good all around tire. I have never tried them on a S2000 but they should meet your requirements.

Ever thought about getting AP2 wheels? It is fairly substantial upgrade in looks/performance for a small investment. There are some really good tires in AP2 sizes that would perfect for your needs like the Michelin PSS and Bridgestone S04. Plus its an easy bolt on and you can always take them off to return car to original condition.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

the dunlop Z2 is an excellent street tire. It is my favourite choice for street duty. i use RS-3 Hankooks for autoslalom which also work very well for street.

both tires stay in my garage all winter. in the spring they still hold air and perform just fine.

darcy
Old 09-22-2015, 11:55 PM

The Continental DW is a good summer tire. They have lots of grip on dry and wet roads.

Quick Reply: Stock AP1 needs tires