S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Honesty is the best policy or why you should buy track insurance if you can't afford to write it off

Old 12-09-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Honesty is the best policy or why you should buy track insurance if you can't afford to write it off

http://www.presstelegram.com/general...ing-to-insurer

By Phillip Zonkel, Long Beach Press Telegram
POSTED: 12/08/15, 1:00 PM PST | UPDATED: 13 HRS AGO 0 COMMENTS
LAKEWOOD >> A Lakewood man crashed his German sports sedan at a Southern California racetrack earlier this year but told his auto insurer the accident happened in the local mountains, lying his way to a near-$65,000 payout, prosecutors allege.

Andres Hernandez, 36, allegedly wrecked his vehicle while trying to get the best lap time when he spun out and hit the wall at Fontana’s Auto Club Speedway May 15, according to a press release from the California Department of Insurance issued Tuesday. But he told his insurer he crashed his 2015 BMW M3 on Angeles Crest Highway, the department alleges.

He allegedly claimed the collision occurred on the highway because his personal auto policy did not provide coverage for racing, said Madison Voss, a spokeswoman with the Insurance Department. His insurance company paid out $64,860 on the claim.

Hernandez was arrested Dec. 1 at his job at South Bay BMW in Torrance and eventually posted his $45,000 bail, Voss said.

Hernandez, 36, is facing two felonies: one count of insurance fraud and one count of grand theft of personal property, said Greg Risling, a spokesman with the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office. He is scheduled to appear in Los Angeles Superior Court to enter a plea Dec. 23.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wowwwww
Old 12-09-2015, 10:52 AM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow indeed. Insurance fraud is no joke, but at the same time I wonder if there is more to this story that lead to them throwing the book at him that hard.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:55 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

so he's getting charged twice for the same crime?
Old 12-09-2015, 12:31 PM
1MR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warmmilk
He's being "charged" once, but with multiple "counts".
Old 12-09-2015, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Originally Posted by warmmilk' timestamp='1449690917' post='23823842
He's being "charged" once, but with multiple "counts".
doesn't that imply he broke the law twice? I mean I'm not trying to defend what this guy did (as much as I hate insurance companies...) but whatever the verbiage, it seams to me like they're punishing him twice for the same crime... then again all I know about law is from a law class I dropped in community college and tv
Old 12-09-2015, 02:27 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Law in the USA is pretty complex.

His alleged crimes were lying to his insurance company and in doing so committed insurance fraud. When he collected the payment due to the fraud he committed grand theft.

fraud == the false insurance claim
grand theft == the collection of money from the fraudulent claim

I've known people to joke about this sort of thing when the group of guys are in the pits talking about "what ifs" I hope this will keep them straight.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You have to be ready to push your car off the cliff if things go wrong. Just walking away from a major wreck is enough to be thankful for.

Not that this makes it right but...Rumor has it that BMW assist is what caught him. Airbags deployed at ACS and he reported it at another location.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by ddess
You have to be ready to push your car off the cliff if things go wrong. Just walking away from a major wreck is enough to be thankful for.

Not that this makes it right but...Rumor has it that BMW assist is what caught him. Airbags deployed at ACS and he reported it at another location.
or you can get track insurance... If I was tracking a modern BMW I wouldn't do it without track insurance...

Quick Reply: Honesty is the best policy or why you should buy track insurance if you can't afford to write it off