S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

project V-mount

Old 12-10-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default project V-mount

Too cut a long story short, I had a terrible end to my 2015 summer. My turbo decided to crap the bed. I was overheating with the new front bumper. And to top it all off I had a little jack mishap while I was putting the car up on jackstands to start the tear down.

So here's the plan that I'm just winging so far:
Replace damaged center brace with new one.
Fabricate rad/intercooler mounts
Fabricate intercooler end tanks
Fabricate coolant fill neck
Fabricate intercooler piping
Fix some of the areas I wasn't please with from my shave job a couple winters ago.

I've already begun, but figured I'd share the story with you guys. I apologize in advance for my crappy phone camera, this Note 4 has seen much better days.
Drilled out spot welds for rad stay, and cut out bottom support leaving just enough room that I can still use the bolt for the stock fender liners.

Drilled out spot welds and removed the damaged cross brace. Prepped frame rails for new brace.

The beginning of the cross brace. Pretty much put a twist on bazurks idea here.

Weld through primer. Not that exciting but figured I'd be detailed.

Frame support/beef up plates. 1/8 steel. The idea behind this is to have something a little beefier to weld the 1/4" thick plates for the cross member too. These were spot welded to the frame rails.

Frame beef up plates spot welded to frame. 1/4" thick plate with nuts welded to the back of it tacked to the beef up plates, and the 1/4" end caps for the cross brace bolted in. The 1/4" plate will be fully welded to the 1/8" frame beef up plate.

And the crossbrace tacked in and as tight as a machine fit piece. Hoping this shrinks a bit when I weld it up because if it doesn't it's gonna be hard to keep paint on it.

Speedfactory tucked dual pass rad with fans. Fits pretty much perfect. (sorry for the blur again) Biggest concern here is making sure there is enough clearance between the AN fittings and the sway bar.

And a couple teaser pics of what is to come:

And that's it until I get another chance to work on this thing. Next up is fabricating the mount to hold the radiator!

Hope you all enjoy this, and I'll keep you updated as I move forward.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great. Keep us updated on this.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sheeesshh now that is s project ahead of you!!!!
Old 12-11-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by blixhavn
The beginning of the cross brace. Pretty much put a twist on bazurks idea here.
#baZurkmethod
Old 12-11-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!! Vmount will help a ton with heat issues.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

in for the results i am contemplating cutting up my radiator and getting a treadstone core to do a vmount for my new novi 1200 but i have almost everything to do a semi conventional setup i will make a post once i get the car in the garage and start fabbing stuff up
Old 12-12-2015, 06:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed. Planning on doing a vmount project myself after the Dragon in April. Looking forward to your progress
Old 12-12-2015, 04:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k manic
in for the results i am contemplating cutting up my radiator and getting a treadstone core to do a vmount for my new novi 1200 but i have almost everything to do a semi conventional setup i will make a post once i get the car in the garage and start fabbing stuff up
That would be pretty slick. I thought about cutting up my mishimoto rad but the cost of paying a welder to modify it (I can't weld aluminum...yet) vs buying this speedfactory one that fits perfect and selling the mishimoto one. I just figured it would be more cost effective and simple to just buy/sell.
Would love to see one with a novi 1200, guessing you would have to do a vertical flow intercooler?

To all above:
Thanks for the support guys. Next update won't be til after christmas because work is balls to the wall right now. Despite what it looks like I don't think this would be very difficult for people to copy. Hell I might even be able to fab some bolt in lower rad supports if all of this works out. Even keeping the stock cross member, the IC lined up really well with the 22x9x4 vibrant core I decided to go with. Although you'd have to get fancy with your end tanks to clear the gusset supports that come off the cross member where it is spot welded to the frame.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Redline S2K
Subscribed. Planning on doing a vmount project myself after the Dragon in April. Looking forward to your progress
O RLY. You fabbing that up?
Old 12-14-2015, 08:19 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blixhavn
Originally Posted by s2k manic' timestamp='1449894729' post='23825974
That would be pretty slick. I thought about cutting up my mishimoto rad but the cost of paying a welder to modify it (I can't weld aluminum...yet) vs buying this speedfactory one that fits perfect and selling the mishimoto one. I just figured it would be more cost effective and simple to just buy/sell.
Would love to see one with a novi 1200, guessing you would have to do a vertical flow intercooler?

To all above:
Thanks for the support guys. Next update won't be til after christmas because work is balls to the wall right now. Despite what it looks like I don't think this would be very difficult for people to copy. Hell I might even be able to fab some bolt in lower rad supports if all of this works out. Even keeping the stock cross member, the IC lined up really well with the 22x9x4 vibrant core I decided to go with. Although you'd have to get fancy with your end tanks to clear the gusset supports that come off the cross member where it is spot welded to the frame.
well i was thinking of using what i have as i am fair with my tig welder been doing it for 15 years. on the intercooler i figure i would have to make my own end tanks but i wont be able to do it for some time i have a nice treadstone in my possession 3'' piping for the hot and cold and some 3.5'' and 4'' pipe foe my cold air intake hoping to see around 2psi pressure drop due to the smooth turns and low restriction. will see how it goes.

Quick Reply: project V-mount