S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine oil leak then won't start

Old 01-31-2016, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine oil leak then won't start

Be fore I start the story my car is boosted
And I always check my oil level and right before I drove I filled up the oil
So I was cruising around and I felt there was some smoke coming off I didn't know exactly where so I stopped and examined it but couldn't tell.
So I kept driving with some burning oil smell, but usually with turbo I have, journal bearing it's normal with the smoke.
Then after a while I saw my fella driving around the street and we stopped at the light and took off. All the sudden I saw the oil pressure light came on and I was gonna pull over to the side and my car all the sudden stalled.
After that I tried to start my car but it won't turn over. And when I push the ignition I see my lights and dash dims like how you have no battery.
After that I came out side and popped the hood and pull out the dipstick. The next thing I noticed was there was no oil on the dipstick. I looked under the car and see oil dripping. I added the oil to the normal level prob added around 2,3 quarts. And my car still won't start.
What are the possibilities here ?? Did I just blew my engine ?? Or it could be something else that I am wishing for ?
Old 01-31-2016, 05:06 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Better start looking for another engine...
Old 01-31-2016, 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
Oh no ... If it's blown .. It will be second one ..
I cannot afford for another .. And I don't understand how this could happens all the sudden without a warning .. Sigh ..
Old 01-31-2016, 06:09 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Couna777
Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire' timestamp='1454292375' post='23867726
Oh no ... If it's blown .. It will be second one ..
I cannot afford for another .. And I don't understand how this could happens all the sudden without a warning .. Sigh ..
Sorry
Old 02-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Banned

So I did a compression test for my engine today and the mechanic said its good !
He said its all around 120s I don't know what kinda of units they use but he said brand new motor goes around for 140
(Thought compression test numbers go around 200s) idk
The problem was the turbo bolt got loose and it was dumping some serious oil !
Old 02-02-2016, 10:39 AM

So I did a compression test for my engine today and the mechanic said its good !
He said its all around 120s I don't know what kinda of units they use but he said brand new motor goes around for 140
You might want to double check.. IIRC the F20C has higher compression numbers than most normal motors. This is something your mechanic might not be aware of. I have done several compression tests on healthy motors and usually see around 240 PSI. Cold numbers will be lower.

The reason I am skeptical that it is good is because when people damage their motors they usually have a cylinder far below 200 (120-140) which sounds more inline with your compression numbers...
Old 02-02-2016, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Soviet
Originally Posted by Couna777' timestamp='1454441139' post='23869549
You might want to double check.. IIRC the F20C has higher compression numbers than most normal motors. This is something your mechanic might not be aware of. I have done several compression tests on healthy motors and usually see around 240 PSI. Cold numbers will be lower.

The reason I am skeptical that it is good is because when people damage their motors they usually have a cylinder far below 200 (120-140) which sounds more inline with your compression numbers...
How much of the other normal motors compressions reading like ??
Isn't it still200s???
Cause he clearly mentioned the way his reading fresh new motor reads around 140s
So I am guessing they are using some different units or other method idk lol but it was cold tested
Old 02-02-2016, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Soviet' timestamp='1454441975' post='23869557
[quote name='Couna777' timestamp='1454441139' post='23869549']

How much of the other normal motors compressions reading like ??
Isn't it still200s???
Cause he clearly mentioned the way his reading fresh new motor reads around 140s
So I am guessing they are using some different units or other method idk lol but it was cold tested
[/quote]

"There is more than one school of thought on what the compression of the average engine should be. As a general rule a compression of 135 PSI or better is excellent, and a compression of 85 PSI or lower is extremely bad."

That looks in line with what your mechanic thinks so it sounds like he is just not aware of the F20Cs high compression
Old 02-02-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...except this is a higher compression motor. From the factory I believe the spec is 240 psi. I think a higher mileage but still healthy F20 or F22 would test at least 180 psi on each cylinder.

Spun bearings are the first thing to happen in a low oil pressure situation on these motors. If you added 2-3 quarts to bring it back into range, then yes, you were terribly low on oil and I believe it's pretty conclusive that you have at least a spun bearing if not additional damage.

Our oil light isn't so much a "you have low oil pressure, you need to fix something" as much as it's pretty conclusively a "haha you're motor is screwwwwed dood" light, unfortunately.

Edit: FYI when I had a burned exhaust valve I tested 237-237-130-237 psi. At 130 psi you could hear air screaming out of the exhaust valve when we did a leak test. So I would say 130 psi is very bad.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Banned

I just called and double checked
They do not use psi as a unit on the gauge
They are Russian people using metric system .
Btw could you do a compression test without a key ??

Quick Reply: Engine oil leak then won't start