UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Andy_F's Quick 'n' Easy DIY Headlight Restoration

Old 02-02-2016, 08:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Andy_F's Quick 'n' Easy DIY Headlight Restoration

Did a real quick and easy headlight restoration this weekend and thought I'd take a few pictures for a quick guide for those who might be scared about going to their headlamps with abrasives.

My car is an 02, headlamps had gone a bit mankey although not as bad as some. In the past I've done a proper resto with sandpaper and cutting compounds but I thought I'd try and simplify for some quick results.

Basically, when your plastic headlamps go like this, it's due to the UV layers in the sun breaking down the UV protective top layer of plastic in your lamps. This is UV corrosion and causes yellowing, foggyness, sometimes crazing and reduces the effectiveness of your headlights. All stuff you don't really want. Don't worry about messing up your lamps here, this is a very easy and forgiving method and very non-aggressive.

So, here's what you'll need.

I bought my supplies from Halfords, for ease. You can probably get much cheaper but here's what I bought.

Halfords Super Fine soft finishing pads
Meguiars Scratch X (or any fine polish/ideally plastic polish - do not use a cutting compound or anything with solid abraiders in it) this stuff was about a tenner.
Couple of microfibers/cloths/clean rag
Masking tape (ideally decorators flexible but you can make do)

Here's what mine looked like to start with, you can also see the level of oxidising and nastyness in the surface of my lamps:

First step is to mask off your lamps. I only used one layer, feel free to go as safe as you like with masking tape layers. Decorators flexible tape works best as you can follow contours easier, I just had this stuff lying around so lobster-backed it.

Next, get a small container of water, and soak your finishing pad. They look like this up close and are really nice and easy to use.

I folded mine into a square to make it easier to use, you can cut or trim if you fancy. Don't drag it across your bodywork or it will cause light scratches. Then, go to town on your lamp. Don't worry, you won't scratch through the masking tape very easily at all (you'll see it wearing through before do) so make sure you go all the way to the edges. Use linear motion - first I went lengthways back and fourth for a few passes over the entire lamp, probably about 2 minutes worth, then went up and down with the same number of passes. What you basically want to do is create a sanded finish in one direction, then the other to take the high points off. Of course, you won't be able to actually see this but that's the theory. You'll see a bit of a sandy looking slurry coming off in the water. Re-wet your sponge a few times as you go and don't worry about using too much pressure. The pads are super fine and you can't physically do any gouging or nasty scratches with them, that's the beauty.

Now use a dry clean cloth to absorb and clean off any left overs. The whole lamp should look slightly hazy and opaque in an even finish at this point.

Generously apply some polish to another/a clean part of your cloth. You can use circular motions now. Again, you only need to do this for 2-3 minutes max, just make sure you give the whole lamp a good rub for a couple of passes. Re-apply polish a couple of times as you go too. Note - if you use a harsher cutting compound or T-cut you'll introduce swirly scratches into the surface. Rub a bit between your fingers if you're not sure, if it feels a bit gritty then don't use it.

Using a clean cloth, wipe away any more leftovers and...

You should get something like this. Only about 6-7 minutes per lamp. Masking is the most time consuming part!

Before (drivers side) and after (passenger).

All in all, shouldn't take you longer than 20 minutes and about 15 quid and it gives you a pretty damn good result. Note - what you've rubbed away is actually the top UV resistant layer. Over time, the UV affect will return unless you re-treat with some UV spray, something like this but I personally couldn't be bothered. Having done this on a previous car the finish lasted at least 6-8mo without me noticing any real reduction, and as you've got rid of all the nastyness it's real easy to just keep clean or give it another quick go-over with the polish to shine it up again.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a bad result.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for this, I give it an 8/10 owing to the lack of urine and toothpaste.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:49 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I did the Leg End's the same time I was DAing the paint; I just didn't stop when I got to the headlamps.

Mind you it was only the upper edge that was really turning.

Must get one of those UV sprays, as I CBA to do it every six months.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:35 AM

Brasso works well too
Old 02-02-2016, 01:58 PM

If anyone's looking for a headlight polishing kit, I've found this to be the best value kit out there right now:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o02_s00

Remember that you should use a UV protector afterwards such as...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o03_s00