UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Windscreen replacement

Old 02-09-2016, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windscreen replacement

Having had my screen chipped/cracked by flying debris, I contacted Autoglass for a replacement.

Churchill would not entertain a OE replacement, but they assured me that the Autoglass (Pilkington) screen would be compatible.

The fitter came this morning and stripped out the trim ready to remove the glass, when I flagged up that the their mirror adapter was flat and my original one is tapered.

2 hours later and after multiple phone calls Churchill have verbally approved an OE screen and I await confirmation of a fitting date.

I had an Autoglass screen fitted in a previous S2000 (7 years ago) and the mirror fixing was a pain in the ass.
Stupidly I accepted the previous incorrect one but I knew what to look out for this time.

I'll keep you posted, but the moral of the story is OEM every time
Old 02-09-2016, 02:52 AM

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts

Autoglass replaced mine last year. The fitter could not fit back the rear view mirror. Also he did not stretch the seal properly. I complained and more experienced chaps came. They took the screen out, put a new seal in and made sure it was stretched properly. And were able to refit the mirror. I tried, it's tricky.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:27 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Churchhill sorted mine for an OE with logo in the end and got my £75 back as a good will
Old 02-09-2016, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by noodels
Churchhill sorted mine for an OE with logo in the end and got my £75 back as a good will
I'd certainly like it done for free, but just getting a new screen fitted will be good enough.

Just waiting for confirmation now........
Old 02-09-2016, 06:13 AM

This was a common problem in the US.

First, you must always use new seals on the window, don't reuse the old ones. They'll never fit properly.

Second, in years past, they would screw up the rearview mirror all the time. Always resulted in being mounted too close to the top, and therefore your view out the rear window was really small.

Then, even though most companies started providing the correct tapered mounting, they'd put in on upside down, resulting the the same issue. So, make sure they put it on the correct way.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Less speed = less chips!
Old 02-09-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I had mine changed and they f@#ked up fitting the mirror which I sorted out myself after a lot of shouting and swearing.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by RevRanger
Less speed = less chips!
In your dreams Son
Old 02-09-2016, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by jcunningham
This was a common problem in the US.

First, you must always use new seals on the window, don't reuse the old ones. They'll never fit properly.

Second, in years past, they would screw up the rearview mirror all the time. Always resulted in being mounted too close to the top, and therefore your view out the rear window was really small.

Then, even though most companies started providing the correct tapered mounting, they'd put in on upside down, resulting the the same issue. So, make sure they put it on the correct way.
Thanks for the input Bud,

Due to my previous experiences with Autoglass and a 'faulty' screen being fitted, I was assured that they would send an 'experienced' installer to do the job and all would be fine.
When he arrived he said they (autoglass) have a team looking at this kind of anomaly all the time to prevent these problems arising.

He did say that they get problems all the time with rear view mirrors, rain sensors etc.

Tomorrow I'm expecting a phone call from the lovely lady at Churchill to confirm my free OEM screen replacement
Old 02-10-2016, 12:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine isn't OEM and was fitted perfectly by National Windows in Manchester. I spoke with the fitter beforehand and explained my concerns and the fact I'm a perfectionist.

Hand on heart I can't fault the job. Not one mark on the car and the windscreen looks factory fitted.

Quick Reply: Windscreen replacement