Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Dealers

Old 05-01-2016, 04:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealers

Yesterday my wife's neice Kate visited us with her BF, and told us the jaw-dropping story concerning the recent purchase of her nearly-new Hyundai i10.

On the appointed day to collect the car, after the signing of the paperwork and finalising all the other associated bollocks involved with buying a car from a dealer, the sales executive took Kate to the car for the handover. Approaching the car, the remote control central locking would not work; after several attempts, the sales executive opened the car with the key and advised Kate that she would need to check if the faulty central locking was covered by the warranty and sent her on her way...

Kate went home, whereupon her BF returned to the dealer, with her and the car; the initial reaction from the sales executive was enough to have him 'taken' into a room to interrupt the sales manager with the rest of the dealer crew. The fault with the car was rectified after a short wait.

One can only wonder where such franchised dealerships recruit their sales staff.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Topical as I spent Thursday and Friday chaperoning my 78 year old mother round VW, Honda, Suzuki, Kia, Fiat and Toyota dealers as she wanted to downsize from her 9 year old Auris (bought new and now has, wait for it, 16,400 miles on the clock )

Before we set out, she was set on a VW Polo having been impressed with a friend's car. After being ignored for a good few minutes in the VW dealership, we were eventually attended to by a right wee ned which, combined with the quoted 4 month delivery wait on a 5 dr automatic, put her off the idea of a Polo.

We were well looked after at the Honda dealer and we booked a test drive for Saturday in a Jazz. On Friday we took in one of the local "mega" dealers who sells Fiat, Kia, Renault, Suzuki and Nissan all from one site. In each "zone", we were promptly attended to but questions about availability invariably required a sit down and some tedious form filling to the sound of some terrific flannel from the salespeople.

Last stop was the Toyota dealer who services her Auris. I say service but the only major thing they've ever had to sort were her tyres which had not so much worn out as perished and started to crack with age ...

A young lad dealt with her in a polite and attentive manner and having discussed the various Yaris models, mentioned that he had a pre-registered 5 dr auto in light blue metallic available for immediate sale. Offered a test drive straight away and she loved the car with its 9 miles on the clock and nearly £2.5k less than the new price. Deduct £2.5k for the Auris - I had been expecting £2.3k ish - and she's picking up her new car tomorrow for less than £9.5k. A good deal I reckon.

A rubbish phone pic of the acquisition, a Yaris Icon ...

Old 05-01-2016, 09:04 AM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

A result then, and the winning dealer was?
Old 05-01-2016, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by martin j
Arnold Clark in East Kilbride. She bought the car from Shields Toyota (Darnley; only a couple of miles from her house) but they either lost or gave up their franchise and now sell something else. Only other Toyota dealer is on the northside in Springburn.

The dealer she's bought the Yaris from will collect and deliver her car when it's due for service, and this is a big deal for her ...
Old 05-01-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shiskine
Originally Posted by martin j' timestamp='1462122249' post='23953926
Arnold Clark in East Kilbride. She bought the car from Shields Toyota (Darnley; only a couple of miles from her house) but they either lost or gave up their franchise and now sell something else. Only other Toyota dealer is on the northside in Springburn.

The dealer she's bought the Yaris from will collect and deliver her car when it's due for service, and this is a big deal for her ...
The collection and delivery for servicing was a big deal for my Old Dear too; I recall her speaking on the phone to a service advisor when they once had the temerity to suggest she bring the car in... I almost had some sympathy for the other person. The Old Dear wasn't rude, but simply wouldn't take 'No' for an answer.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:16 AM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

It's something a more and more of the dealers are offering now, we often collect from workplaces so people's daily routine is not disrupted.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Years ago my missus was hankering after a Puma

The salesman just engaged constantly with me despite my saying "its her purchase".. Asking me questions about what i drove.

Fuming did not cut it.. Soon later she took a new company car and we bought the S2000 so all's well that ends well
Old 05-03-2016, 03:11 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiskine
Originally Posted by martin j' timestamp='1462122249' post='23953926

Good little cars but watch out post warranty (or extend). We got no joy from Toyota when my mum's low mileage, dealer serviced Yaris developed a gearbox fault.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:53 AM

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Years ago my missus was hankering after a Puma

The salesman just engaged constantly with me despite my saying "its her purchase".. Asking me questions about what i drove.

Fuming did not cut it.. Soon later she took a new company car and we bought the S2000 so all's well that ends well
My folks had a similar experience with a double glazing salesman. After asking 3 times whether her husband was in, she chucked him out!
Old 05-03-2016, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Good little cars but watch out post warranty (or extend). We got no joy from Toyota when my mum's low mileage, dealer serviced Yaris developed a gearbox fault.
I'll bear that in mind. Can she possibly be as low mileage as my mother though ...

I should have mentioned that her deal includes the first two services free.

Quick Reply: Dealers