UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Keyless Entry

Old 06-09-2016, 01:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keyless Entry

Hi all, I am writing with some information about a problem I have had with my remote door locks. Periodically I would goo to lock the doors but they would fail to engage
and I would have to use the key to lock the doors. Later in the day they would be fine, and stay fine for several weeks then fail again. Very frustrating! I read so much
about this problem and how people had changed door locking mechanisms to cure the fault and so found myself doing the same. To no avail. The drivers door mechanism
rotates a gear driven by an electric motor which when at the end of its travel engages a switch which sends current to the passenger door to lock also. Hence the delay
between the drivers door and passenger door. This bit is all mechanical.

Eventually, I was informed of the real problem and thought I would share this with everyone.

The Keyless remote control box is the cause of the problem and this is located under the dash below the start button with a connector which fits into the box vertically. It is very easy to see and access. Apparently the relays in the unit can fail causing the the problem. Rather than remove the unit, it is very easy to remove a plastic clip which retains the circuit board and connector. Remove the connector and clip
and the circuit board slides out. Just like the Palmer and Harvey immobilizer under your seat. Slide out the circuit board ( see image ) and slide in a replacement. Ebay £20

https://www.flickr.c...57649420046934/

My link

My link

My link

WIRING
My link

Programming Instruction simplified
https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/
My link

Once installed you will then need to programme the unit to recognise your remote fobs.
  • ENTER the vehicle and CLOSE all doors. (Each of the following steps must be completed within five seconds of one another. If you take longer than five seconds between steps or make a mistake, you must start the entire procedure over.)
  • INSERT the key into the Ignition, HOLD one remote in your left hand with additional remotes close by.
  • PERFORM each of the next three (3) steps in order, then repeat all three (3) steps two (2) more times for a total of three (3) times each.
  • TURN the Ignition to the ON position, marked “II” on the Ignition.
  • PRESS the LOCK button on the remote for approximately 1 second. (Say “Mississippi”)
  • TURN the Ignition to the OFF position, marked “I” on the Ignition. (REPEAT Steps 4-6 three (3) times)
  • TURN the Ignition switch to the ON position, marked “II” on the Ignition.
  • PRESS the LOCK button on the same remote. The door locks should cycle indicating the vehicle has ENTERED Programming Mode.
  • PRESS the LOCK button again on the same remote. The door locks should cycle again indicating the vehicle has successfully PROGRAMMED that remote.
  • For programming additional remotes to your vehicle, REPEAT Step 9 with each additional remote one after another. Step 9 must be completed within ten (10) seconds for each additional remote. You may program up to three (3) remotes to your vehicle.
  • TURN the ignition to OFF.
  • Test all remotes. Programming is now complete.
  • After successful programming, if your remote has a TRUNK RELEASE Button — you will need to hold that button down for 5-10 seconds for that function to begin operation.
  • If these programming instructions helped save you time and money, please consider sharing our website with friends and family so they can do the same.
Procedure #2 – Dealer Installed Keyless Entry Systems

Step-by-Step How To Programming Instructions:
  • TURN Ignition to the ON (II) position. (ON is the position just shy of starting the vehicle without cranking the engine.)
  • PRESS and HOLD the Valet/Disarm Button located between the AM/FM and CD/TAPE Buttons. The vehicle will respond by cycling the door locks, indicating the vehicle is now in Programming Mode. (Continue to hold the Valet/Disarm Button until instructed to release.)
  • Within five (5) seconds, PRESS the LOCK or UNLOCK Button on the remote. The vehicle will respond by cycling the door locks, indicating successful programming of that remote.
  • Within ten (10) seconds, REPEAT Step 3 to program any additional remotes.
  • RELEASE the Valet/Disarm Button to EXIT Programming Mode.
  • Test all remotes. Programming is now complete.
  • If these programming instructions helped you save time and money, please consider sharing our website with friends and family so they can do the same.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:49 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Can't view image?

Can you also post the eBay link up, as at £20 it has to be worth a try.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mike RT4
Can't view image?

Can you also post the eBay link up, as at £20 it has to be worth a try.
Just try any breakers. The only link I have is for the one I bought and installed just 5 minutes ago. It's a damn site easier than
stripping your door down to replace the actuating mechanism. Since doing that myself I fail to see how the door mechanism
can actually fail anyway short of the motor burning out.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:11 AM

I have just added another link to an image showing the unit in its separate components.

If you have had the same problem as me, and as long as you get a working replacement you will be very pleased
you have found this information. It really only takes 5 minutes to do the job and you don't even need any tools.

By the way....A new one from Honda is £425 plus VAT. But please don't let the breakers know that.

Good Luck.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:23 AM

What model year is your car ?

Just need to be sure that it isn't year specific?
Old 06-09-2016, 02:29 AM

Its May 2000. (AP1)

Here is a link showing the wiring. This should determine the fit.
I did not even match the numbers on the label as they are all different it seems

https://www.flickr.com/photos/338430...7649420046934/
My link
Old 06-09-2016, 03:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem with my remote locking. Turned out to be the H&P installed central locking module that's behind the kick panel in the drivers footwell. I initially suspected door actuators and then the locking module but these both tested okay.

Worth a look if you're head scratching.
The following users liked this post:
E4RTH WORM JIM (04-14-2024)
Old 06-09-2016, 04:35 AM

Just checked with my local Honda dealers and the Keyless entry module for MY2005-2009 cars is 38380 S2A G11. However, it has been discontinued. None on eBay at present.

Rob,
How did you narrow it down to this part?
Old 06-09-2016, 09:45 AM

Just contact anyone breaking a Honda S2000 and ask for the Keyless Remote control box.
If the thing looks like the one you've got then it should be fine. My Honda Dealer told me that my one was a different number all together
but when one came up on ebay and the wiring was identical to mine I bought it. It was actually £21.50 altogether. Worked straight off.

Also, if you are really cautious then bolt yours off and see if you can match it. All of the information is on the box. You can also contact
http://www.ttiinc.co...ZSSCxoCECnw_wcB

And then buy 3 relays and solder them in place onto the board.

OR, you could ask a mate to let you borrow his and programme your fobs to it. He would then have to re-programme his fobs when you give
him it back. Depends on how good a mate he is. If you live near Co, Durham you can try my old one. It works most of the time with the very
intermittent failure. Takes minutes to do it!

Good Luck

Chris
Old 06-09-2016, 10:00 AM

Just as a by-the way, if your door locks have never worked off your remotes then try just following the programming instructions.
The box may have forgotten your key code. Just a chance... Also, I have just realised the one I bought came off a 2003 model. My car is a 2000.

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry