S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DYI: Retrofit 04 Center Console on 00-03

Old 11-24-2003, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the goodies from Hardtopguy today ( for great price and FAST shipping).
Here's the install, followed by review.
1) Look at your old console, b/c its going bye-bye
2) Here are the parts: a) center console b) cupholder c) armrest

3) grab the old console, under the armrest and lift up. If you've never done this before, it may take a little tugging and you'll here some popping, but don't worry.... it's ok.
4) Unscrew the shiftknob and take it off. Once the console is up, disconnect the roof and hazzard light switches. There is a tab on each you have to press in, the work them off gently. If you have a defroster, do the same thing. You'll have to keep the console propped up to see. To do this, just lift up on the ebrake and choke the console up on it.

5)After those are disconnect. slide the console up and over the e-brake. You may have to move the e-brake into different positions, but the console comes right off.
6) Nexy, put the new console together. It just snapes right together, but you will have many screws to connect it so it will really hold. Unfortunately, you have to steal all the screws from you old console.
7)Next, take the roof button and reattach it. It pops right into the right sided hole (right side of the console when it turned over) and is held with two scres... just like the old one. Unfortunately, the old hazzard button doesn't fit...the button is too big and the housing is not correct for the new console. It appears honda used the same size for both the hazzard and roof buttons.

Also, there is no hole for the defroster, But as you can see, there is a space between the two buttons and I am guessing that some carefull dremmeling could yield a defroster button.
8) Now that it is all together, test the cupholder to make sure it works... mine did. Next, lube up the metal brackets with a little bit of good old fashioned lube... split..especially the top brackets. Then, place the rear or armholder end in first, and postion the rest of the console. Then... WHAM!.. smack into place. You should here several pops.
9) test the cupholder again...it should slide smoothly.
10) re-attach your shiftknob and you're ready!

Impressions:
The fit is great... no problems at all.
It looks fantastic and if you have a 00-01 with a carpeted console, it covers it all up. If you have a Rick's cover, it fits right over with out a problem.
Problems: Hazzrd light light, but that is easilt fixed. The defroster shouldn't be problem. You can either go without or carfully dremmel out the space between the two buttons It appeats that there were plans for one, as you can see on the bottom of the console, but they didn't put one in. I am wondering where the defroster is on the 04.

Overall, its a great mod. Thanks again to Hardtopguy for great price and speedy delivery.

EDIT ON PRICE: I got the price wrong due to my miscommunication with Hardtopguy. The center console is about $400. (I had a credit with him and the [i]difference[i] was about 130. sorry about the confustion
Old 11-24-2003, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet. How much is the new center counsel if you don't mind me asking? Thanks
Old 11-24-2003, 06:57 PM

what cars have a defroster button in the center console?

i have a 03 and it is on the dash,

are the wires in the center console?
Old 11-24-2003, 07:01 PM

hmm,
I have a hardtop and my defroster button was right behind the ashtray.

F1.... I have to check on the price, but I am thinking it was 130 or so. I didn't bother rembering when he told me how much it was b/c it was cheaper than the other dealers I contacted so I ran with it. Give hardtopguy a PM and he'll hook you up.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:09 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many threads you up to now

-marking this one too
Old 11-24-2003, 07:11 PM

I always thought it was "DIY" not "DYI."
Old 11-24-2003, 07:14 PM

opps! I am tired, what can I say.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:16 PM

I was just kidding.

Good job.

How are you going to fit the hazard switch? Thanks.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:22 PM

I am going to get a new one.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:24 PM
Former Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 273 Posts

Are you going to get the 04 Hazard switch?
EDIT
-Too late Already answered

Quick Reply: DYI: Retrofit 04 Center Console on 00-03