S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Focal 165W3 - Focal 3 Way Utopia Component

Old 10-17-2005, 09:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Focal 165W3 - Focal 3 Way Utopia Component

Hi, I wanted to ask about the Focal 165W3 - Focal 3 Way Utopia Component. Unfortunately in my town we don't have these high end speakers so I can't listen to them in person. I saw these on ebay going for about $700+.

I've read some post and noticed a majority of the EJ's use Focal speakers. Anyone have these component speakers who can comment on how they sound compared to MB Quartz top of the line components. I'm thinking of going with a premier deck the one with built in hd, these component speakers, some sort of memphis belle amp and in the future probably a 8 or 10 inch subwoofer. Any comments welcomed. Thanks
Old 10-17-2005, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant comment for the W3's, but I had the Utopia 165's 2 way component set, and they where amazing, if you can afford them, you wont dissapointed. The three ways are bit harder to install because you have 3 different speakers to install, and you basically have to install one of them in a custom location.

What I can say about the Utopia's is that the speaker itself was beautiful, very well built, the magnet on those things is huge and heavy.

Soundwise, the midbass was incredible, I almost thought about just running them without a sub, as they provided some good bass. They are rated to go down to 60hz, but mine began to distort around there, so I had them crossed over at 80hz. The tweets were great, but then again I had nothing to compare them to in regards to high end tweets.

This time around, on my second system, I tried to get another set, but I was just having to hard of a time finding some, so I went with CDT's. If you get them let us know your opinion on them once installed.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:40 PM

pikkashoe,

A few questions about your install.

I want to try going without a sub and using the mid range speakers as a sub replacement, I know this isn't the best idea but I would like to avoid putting a sub in the trunk. Would this be a better idea than going with say a 8" sub mounted somewhere in the cabin?

Also the difference between 2 way and 3 way is just more speakers which makes the sound more complete?

Thanks,

Amer
Old 10-17-2005, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive heard the Utopias in a vehicle. Very impessive and at 700 a great deal. I couldnt see paying over 1000 unless your into competitons. In one occasion we have replaced top of the line MB Quartz comps with Focal's and the owner was very happy. The replacement speakers were only Polyglass series. To give the MB quartz credit, Im pretty sure they werent setup up right originally. To take some credit from the owner, I dont think Jevon Kearse is into highs as much as bass, so I dont think he really noticed or cared.

BTW Focal makes a 5" sub that would sound good molded into the kick panels. I might go that way in another few months.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:08 AM

Mounting a sub in the cabin is the ideal set up, but also the hardest to accomplish. The bass does not have to travel through anything to get to you. But like i said, just look at our cabin, its small enough to begin with. It has been done, but you have to get creative, and I neither had the resources or time do to that.

The difference between the two way and three way systems, is exactly as you said one extra speaker, and obviously the cross over is different.

I tried using an 8 inch sub in the trunk, and it wasn't doing it for me. Not enough bass. The 10 I had did not take up much room, the box was .60 cubic feet, and if you remove the tool's in the tool well, your basically replacing them with the sub box. Only thing with that is that you loose the tools, but I have seen others just wrap the tools in a towel and store them under the seats or in the spare wheel area.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:45 PM

[QUOTE=revhi,Oct 17 2005, 08:21 PM] BTW Focal makes a 5" sub that would sound good molded into the kick panels.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:55 PM

I just read the description of the 165W3 components:

3-way separate system.
165mm (6-1/2") woofer,
40mm (1-3/8") v.coil,
100mm (4") magnet.
120mm (5-3/4") midrange,
25mm (1") v.coil,
85mm (3-3/8") magnet.
TN 51 tweeter.

so is the 6 1/2 woofer and 5 3/4 midrange do the same thing make bass? I know tweeters are for highs but whats the difference between a woofer and midrange...
Old 10-18-2005, 02:30 PM

Mid range speakers can put out bass, especially this set, but its a different type of bass, its just not the same as a sub.

I ran my utopia's down to 80hz, any lower and they would distort in my application.

A sub can run much lower than 80 hz, its not the same thing, a sub can move alot more air too. so you get to feel the bass more, where as the mids wont have this effect.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No I was talking about the Focal 13KS

The woofer is supposed to be set to pick up lower freq's than the mid's.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:34 PM

Amer, if anyone has that set up, they are in the wrong forums, those components cost about $4000 a set. Big time money.

Berrylium is 100 times more expensive than titanium.

Those are nice, that is the set that replaced the Utopia's I had. I called to get a price on those, then I almost passed out when I got the quote.

Here is some pics of my old system. not much to see, but you can see the 6.5 inch drivers and the cross overs.

Quick Reply: Focal 165W3 - Focal 3 Way Utopia Component