Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

OBD III

Old 01-01-2008, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD III

I know this probably wont affect us with our S2k's but my friend was telling me a little bit about some features of obd III that were really scary to hear.

He mentioned that if you throw a check engine light you can expect to receive a letter in the mail saying you need to smog your car (at least in cali this will be the case). He also mentioned that it can monitor your speed and location so you could possibly get a speeding ticket in the mail if they noticed.

Any thoughts or maybe more info you guys might have on our newest big brother intrusions?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:50 PM

can anybody say stand alone ECU?!? haha man that would suck!
Old 01-02-2008, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OBDIII is a non-issue, most of it's concerns seem to be urban legend over anything else.

The real concern IMO is the black boxes everyone (including honda) is using to record conditions prior to an accident. S2000's (2006+) already have them.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:32 AM

wow didn't even know about the black boxes....have they been used yet to screw anyone over?
Old 01-02-2008, 06:37 AM

This would turn into an invasion of privacy issue. I don't know what would win out. Privacy or "Homeland Security".
Old 01-02-2008, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustinsanE,Jan 2 2008, 10:32 AM
wow didn't even know about the black boxes....have they been used yet to screw anyone over?
Not that I know of. The 06+ owners manual makes a short reference to it's recording of seatbelt use, distance/time without using seatbelts, etc.

It could be used to prove guilt in a car accident, but I'm not sure anyone would bother unless it's a fatality or a Hogan wreck

You have no privacy when using a public road and operating a vehicle which is a priveledge, not a right. Not saying I agree with it, but...
Old 01-02-2008, 10:11 AM

for crash data I could see it being used but generally there's plenty of other evidence such as skid marks, impact marks, witness reports, etc.

As for speeding, that sounds like total BS.
There's enough controversy surrounding speed ticket cameras as is.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They have been used in other car makes to counter the stories given by people that have lied about the circumstances of traffic accidents .
Old 01-02-2008, 10:28 AM

Straight out of the Owners manual..

"EVENT DATA RECORDERS:
This vehicle is equipped with one or more devices commonly referred to as event data recorders. These devices record seat belt use, passenger seat occupancy, airbag deployment data, and the failure of any airbag system component. this data belongs to the vehicle owner and may not be accessed by anyone else except as legally required or with permission tot he vehicle owner.

SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC RECORDERS:
This vehicle is equipped with service-related devices that record information about powertrain performance. The data can be used to verify emissions law requirements and/or help technicians diagnose and solve problems. It may also be combined with data from other sources for research purposes, but it remains confidential and is never linked to the vehicle owner."
Old 01-02-2008, 02:37 PM

well, it sounds like it is personal unless required for some legal circumstance, which I imagine can be easily claimed as a requirement if it is available....

Quick Reply: OBD III