S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ugh, horn won't turn off when hooking up battery.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts
Default Ugh, horn won't turn off when hooking up battery.

Hey guys,
so my old battery completely drained out during my top replacement (opening and closing, leaving it on, dumb I know) so a friend of mine gave me a temp battery. Charged and tested so I know nothing was wrong with the temp battery. So I go to install the battery, popped the negative on first, then positive, and the moment the terminal hits the positive cable the horn sounds. So after a few times and deducing this won't go away, I go and remove the horn fuse to get rid of the sound so I can diagnose in quiet. Note: when battery is hooked back up, a audible buzz as if some kind of small electrical motor is working under the hood. So I go in the car, stick me key in, turn it on and absolutely nothing lights up.
Mechanic and I thinking it's the immobilizer/anti theft system, says on some cars a series of key movements usually solves the problem.
Anyone know the source of the problem/fix to this?
Thanks guys!

Btw, did search and looked through my honda factory manual, both came up fruitless.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you might have the option OEM alarm, check under the driver seat for a bible size computer there(with an antenna sticking out)

The oem alarm key fob has a metal ring vs all plastic construction of the oem standard issue keyless entry.

When i got my car i was using my keyless entry fob(because it's never use) instead of the wore out alarm fob, i found out i have an oem alarm after i try to jump the car like you did.(first sight: Keyless entry fob didn't stop the alarm from going off)
Old 07-15-2008, 05:36 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The horn goes off when the battery poles are reversed. A few of us (me included) have accidently done this when jump starting the car.

Also, you may have blown the main fuse...common when the battery poles are reversed.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by negcamber,Jul 15 2008, 05:36 AM
The horn goes off when the battery poles are reversed. A few of us (me included) have accidently done this when jump starting the car.

Also, you may have blown the main fuse...common when the battery poles are reversed.
As I was lying in bed last night, I was thinking hmm, maybe that's what it was since the positive terminal didn't quite fit the cable. Awesome, I'll give this a try tonight.
Iam7head, thanks for the input, but I don't have the oem alarm (I removed my seats during the top replacement).
Old 07-15-2008, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You probably reversed the terminals like negcamber said and blew some fuses. Oh and next time, connect the positive FIRST, and negative last.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mrfixit687,Jul 15 2008, 11:51 AM
You probably reversed the terminals like negcamber said and blew some fuses. Oh and next time, connect the positive FIRST, and negative last.
Ah, thanks for the reminder, keep getting that mixed up.
Hopefully no fuses blew.
Thanks for all the help guys, ugh I hate making dumb fundamental mistakes.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:08 PM

Honda recommends hook up positive first then negative. Disconnect negative then positive. Do not switch battery with the car running.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:35 AM

Update:
main fuse didn't blow, but the battery one did, car then started up and after 5 minutes of idling stopped stalling after being revved, drove like a dream (been a while since I took out). Only problem was that the turn signals stopped working completely, so I guess a third trip to kranen for another fuse is in order.
Man, this mistaken couldve been a lot more costly, thank god honda designed in a battery fuse.
Anywho, thanks guys for all the input, god I feel dumb.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:16 AM

Another update:
signal lights work, no other electrical problems, but now the interior lights don't go on and the radio doesn't turn on either, didn't notice till now because I hardly drive it at night and barely listen to the radio. Looked at the fuse box for another fuse but could not locate it. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:24 AM

is it the oem radio? you'll need to enter the radio code before use it, since the battery had been disconnected.

no ideas about the interior lights though

Quick Reply: Ugh, horn won't turn off when hooking up battery.