UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Arrgh My Roof!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Arrgh My Roof!

I spotted a couple of weeks ago that my roof has worn in the usual spot thats a common prob with the S so now I'm paranoid that its going to get worse even though I've done the roof mechanism elbow mod with it now being covered with acoustic cloth.

Basically, how have people repaired or 'patched' this when its happened to them? Duct tape isnt the nicest of looks for the inside of the cabin and it falls off when it gets hot!

I have already read that the Halfords repair kit is a load of rubbish and have to agree after going to see for myself so any advice would be grately appreciated.

Here are some pics to give you an idea of how much wear there is:

Old 07-20-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry15771244
Old 07-20-2009, 11:17 AM
MIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's this edge that does the damage:

The edges are square and sharp. I caught the problem too late on my roof and ended up with a hole. I've got a nice new mohair roof from carhood, but I also rounded off those edges in the process (I used a drill attachment and a small file, then some enamle black paint over it), but I did this half way through the process when the old roof was off.

Gotta say, the mohairs a bit nicer inside and out:

Old 07-20-2009, 11:31 AM

Hmmm if thats the bit that wears on the roof why is it recommended in the FAQ's to do the section to the right of where you have circled in your image?

I thought it was the elbow that folds almost 90 degrees that causes the wear?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:09 PM
MIP

Originally Posted by Spykee,Jul 20 2009, 11:31 AM
Hmmm if thats the bit that wears on the roof why is it recommended in the FAQ's to do the section to the right of where you have circled in your image?

I'm definatly 20000.753% certain it's the bit I've circled. If the FAQ says otherwise it's wrong.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:42 PM

Anyone?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Spykee,Jul 20 2009, 07:31 PM

That is exactly the same pattern of wear that I had! Certainly in my case it was the joint highlighted in the FAQs that was causing the problem as it was razor sharp. Fortunately, as an engineer, I have circular warding files which I was able to use without causing further damage to the roof.

I tried all ways of patching, and the only one which worked well was the self-adhesive felt which you can buy at most craft shops. It was recommended on this forum and works a treat. Easy to apply and can be replaced without leaving any marks on the inner surface. The present ones have been in place for over a year and show no signs of wear!

I have since fitted bicycle chain stay guards to this joint as also recommended on the forum.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Spykee,Jul 20 2009, 08:31 PM

as far as i know it can be both the points you are on about because mine has worn through at a point in line with the other elbow and iam waiting for the dealer to tell me my new roof is here hope it won't be too long.

get some emery cloth and rub it down in both place's just to be sure.
i thought i had done mine but there is an egde that can only be felt as the roof is halfway down it has been done now but it is too late the hole is there now.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:11 PM

Right, I've got a plan as to how I can indentify whether it was the section I have covered with acoustic cloth or whether its the higher elbow as circled by MIP above.

I'll put some duct tape over the area and see whether I still get any wear. I have the roof down a lot so the duct tape was starting to show signs of wear within a few days so if i replace it with a fresh piece then I can see whether its what I've already covered (resulting in no wear) or whether its the higher point of the frame which will wear the fresh tape.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:28 PM

just get some white chalk and rub it on the metal frame drop the roof and bingo chalk on the inside of the roof.

do it one place at a time then wipe it off the frame and try the other place.

Quick Reply: Arrgh My Roof!