Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

dunlop direzza dz101

#1 User is offline   mr 280z again 

• Group: Guest

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:32 AM

i just bought 2 dunlop direzza dz101 in 255/40/17 to replace my rear bald tires. i installed them and while driving the car i noticed that it feel loose in the rear like if the side wall as super soft. has anyone else had problems with this tire? i dont know whether i should take them back because i got them at such a badass price. i just want some feed back on other people with this tires

thanks for all your help!
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   ans2k 

• View gallery

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:51 AM

not sure if people want to hear how loose it feels in the rear! LOL J/K so i was no help. just thought to add a little humor. i hope it goes well. any particular reason you bought these besides the price?
Posted Image
Hondata flashpro, Evans tuned, AEM V2 cai, T1R Header, Berk 70m HFC, Invida Q300 exhaust, C's short shifter, Moddiction shift knob, act HD SS, Fidenza 8lb flywheel, modifry shift beeper, key hole color plugs, Mugen style lip, x-brace, puddymod stage 1.5+ diff with 4.44 final gear, 225/255 star specs, SOS hood dampers, Alloy craft cooling plate, and oil drian valve

#3 User is offline   mr 280z again 

• Topic Starter

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:58 AM

well on of my friends just bought them for his mazda 6 and they felt great but with my size i dont know he has a 35 series tire and mine are 40 series. i got them really cheap too and they are not old because i got them direct from goodyear/dunlop the DOT is just a couple of months ago. i just dont like how it feels and would like to know if the sidewall will ever get stiffer

#4 User is offline   ans2k 

• View gallery

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:08 AM

i've been through 6 sets of tires. none of the sets were the same. i dont think any of the side walls ever got stiffer. but the threads seem to grip better. but i have never had these tires so i can not say for sure.

#5 User is offline   Su2uKa 

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:32 PM

New tyres typically have a releasing agent on them which makes them a bit loose until they're scrubbed in. If the sidewalls are too soft, you could try increasing the pressure a few lbs...

#6 User is offline   Jim@tirerack 

• The TireRack
  • Group: Vendor - Platinum Primary
  • Interests:racing

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

You can not tell if the sidewalll is soft. That is just a feeling that you get when the tires are not giving you the traction that you may be used to. It is true that tires do take a while to break in but these are an entry level performance tire at best. They are never going to give you the performance of the OE tires.
Posted Image

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the S2KI site.

#7 User is offline   mr 280z again 

• Topic Starter

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

Well when I say the sidewalls seem to be soft is because I will be going 75mph on the highway the car sways side to side and it just feels loose in the rear

#8 User is offline   INTJ 

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:40 AM

Jim and Suz are right. Brand new tires give that unstable feeling because of the chemicals used to release the tire from the mold. If the air pressure is right and you have 200 or more miles on it, then they just suck compared to what you had.

#9 User is offline   SpeedxRacer 

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:35 PM

Well when I say the sidewalls seem to be soft is because I will be going 75mph on the highway the car sways side to side and it just feels loose in the rear

check your tire pressure, they might be too high
www.kstargear.com

#10 User is offline   ZDan 

• Interests:COMSCC time trials
    '02/'03/'09 SPB champ
    '07/'09/'10 SSA champ

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

New tires have much taller tread blocks, much more tread squirm.
Nearly-bald tires have next to no tread squirm.

This is probably at least part of what you are feeling.

As already mentioned by Jim, it doesn't help that your new tires are in a lower-performance category than OEM, and also don't rank particularly high in terms of "cornering stability" in the Tire Rack survey:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...ull&sortValue=5

But you should be fine, just be gentle with steering inputs, smooove smooove smooove...
Posted Image<---slow car fast car--->Posted Image faster--->Posted Image

#11 User is offline   aresk3b 

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

Did you break in the tires?

Every tire will feel LOOSE on the first miles. It's due the oils the outer layers absorb from the mold. Until it's completely worn you will feel slippery tires.

#12 User is offline   ap1 George 

• Interests:I'm logged in this site so duh..

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:59 PM

Mine did that too for the first hundred miles (maybe a little more) but other than that once you break em in they grip really good

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users