S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

drive by wire to cable throttle body conversion

Old 02-05-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive by wire to cable throttle body conversion

is it possible. what is required. is it worth it?

thanks
Old 02-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I suspect that you would need to replace or relocate the throttle cable from the DBW module to the new TB. Then you would need to replace the OEM ECU with a non-DBW ECU (AEM EMS, K-Pro, etc.). Then you would need to replace or modify the intake manifold so that you could install an IACV for idle control. Of course, you might also have to dick around with the other ECU's in the car that won't be happy about the OEM ECU not being on the CAN bus anymore.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Former Sponsor

BTW, why don't you like DBW?
Old 02-05-2011, 11:45 AM

i was just thinking it might have a faster throttle response. i wouldnt be able to use the ap1 throttle assembly?
Old 02-05-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are looking at the wrong place for better throttle response. The bdw in the s isn't much different from cable. The cost for conversion is high and isn't worth it. If you want better throttle response, just get basic bolt ons. I bet an intake would be even more noticeable than a cable conversion.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:32 PM

I went from an 05 with cable throttle to an 06 with dbw, let me tell you the only difference I feel is about a 0.00001 second delay to the throttle compared to the cable throttle. No difference at all, actually I feel smother v-tec engagement but i think that is due to the fact that it is a different s. Go with bolt-ons but you wont see much without spending $$$$$$. Even then I dont think it is worth it. Just my opinion.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by S2KN05,Feb 5 2011, 06:21 PM
If you want better throttle response, just get basic bolt ons.
I've been modding and tuning for 17 years, and I don't think I've ever experienced the slightest change in throttle response from a "basic bolt-on" (I/H/E). Every time someone claims that some intake or filter swap improved throttle response, they're just talking crazy.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by gernby
I've been modding and tuning for 17 years, and I don't think I've ever experienced the slightest change in throttle response from a "basic bolt-on" (I/H/E). Every time someone claims that some intake or filter swap improved throttle response, they're just talking crazy.
thumbs up up

Looking for solution of getting faster throttle response too. I really don't understand why those who could say DBW on s2k has no delay at all, I don't think I'm the only one who feel this either. I'd been driving 02 model for 5 yrs and swithed to 07 model, throttle response was the first and also the biggest problem I noticed and still bothering me. Mods on intake/outtake don't help AT ALL, trust me.
I was told by friends that doing some ECU/program jobs would help the most, which I believe will work because DBW is in related to computer anyway. So I'm going to have an enlarged throttle body swap, and also J's racing's ECU install. I will write a review then
Old 03-09-2011, 06:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by S9735
thumbs up up

Looking for solution of getting faster throttle response too. I really don't understand why those who could say DBW on s2k has no delay at all, I don't think I'm the only one who feel this either. I'd been driving 02 model for 5 yrs and swithed to 07 model, throttle response was the first and also the biggest problem I noticed and still bothering me. Mods on intake/outtake don't help AT ALL, trust me.
I was told by friends that doing some ECU/program jobs would help the most, which I believe will work because DBW is in related to computer anyway. So I'm going to have an enlarged throttle body swap, and also J's racing's ECU install. I will write a review then

YIKES! If you have an '07, then the only ECU to consider is the Hondata FlashPro.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:41 AM

J's racing N-S2 can be installed and even cheaper than AP1's.

Quick Reply: drive by wire to cable throttle body conversion