S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

BC Racing BR Coilovers Review

Old 04-21-2011, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BC Racing BR Coilovers Review

I haven't seen a good review on these yet. Thought I would post up what I thought of these coilovers.

The coilovers are the BC Racing BR Type Coilovers. They are single adjustable. They come stock with 10K springs but I ordered them with 12k springs at no charge! I also got the adjuster extensions as well. These were for the rears. The driver side rear adjuster fit just fine. The passenger side will not work with the spare tire. Without the spare it will work no problem.

Pics of the packaging and install.

In the next photos you can see the adjustment extenders and how they were routed.

Install Impressions

Install was very straight forward. Great build quality, couldn't ask for anything better. One thing I noticed that was soooo much better than any other coilovers I've ever messed with, is that when adjusting ride height, I did not once slip. The wrenches had a very positive engagement on the collars and never slipped. Amazing!

Track Impressions

After finally setting the ride height where I wanted, I went out and got an alignment for the track. Ended up with -3.3 in the rear and -2.3 in the front.

Track: Homestead Motor Speedway. Homestead, FL.

I ended up setting the car up with full stiff front and rear. I was playing more with tire pressures to induce oversteer or understeer, since the springrates are even 12k front and rear. The car felt really planted. I used to own the buddy clubs, and even though the spring rates were lower, they were much more bouncier. That doesn't mean their better. The car would transition really well and could tell the suspension was doing its job. Body roll was minimal but was allowing me to transition really well and smoothly. Both long sweepers and low speed S turns felt good. Not a single problem with them the whole weekend.

The Dragon

For those that don't know the Dragon, its a road at the NC/TN border. It is an 11 mile road with 317 curves. Incredible road to say the least. I attended this years Wake the Dragon Event with S2Ki. Here I set the car to 25 clicks from soft, 32 total clicks. Again, the car was planted the entire time. Never once did I have fear going into a corner. I ended up leading most the of the time which means blind corners with no one in front of me. This was my third year there, and I felt much more confident with this suspension than I did with the buddy clubs.

Daily Driving

For me the only confirmation of a smooth ride on the street will come from your SO. My fiance road in the car for the 4 hour (one way) trip to Homestead and the 10 hour (one way) trip to the Dragon. NOT ONCE did she complain about the ride. She actually complimented on how nice the car felt. Very smooth, took care of bumps really well. She hated the ride on the buddy clubs, even when on full soft. She loved the ride, so I'm happy.

Final Verdict

These coilovers are the perfect suspension setup for those that daily their cars and hit the track once in a while. Great bang for your buck at each set at around 1K. Are there better coilovers that will get you better track time, of course. But if you want to drive your car to the track and be able to not worry about your suspension, these are it. These are a "set it and forget it" type of coilover. Perfect for the street, great for mountain roads, good on track. And your girlfriend/wife won't complain. That, in my books, is a winner.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice writeup
Old 04-21-2011, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the write-up! Planning to sell your buddy clubs?
Old 04-22-2011, 01:30 AM

Where did you order these? I think I might sell my pss9's and pick these up any buyers?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Great write up
Old 04-22-2011, 04:23 PM

Do these come in 12k springs front and 10k springs rear? or 10k front and 12k rear?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have the exact same setup, even down to the external adjusters

when i bought mine, they came with 10k front and 12k rear (standard). when i went non-staggered, i bought front 12k springs.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know why it came 10k front and 12k rear. Should it be the other way around. I plan to order a set but confuse of the spring rate setting. Any advices? Thanks
Old 04-24-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by datbird
Does anyone know why it came 10k front and 12k rear. Should it be the other way around. I plan to order a set but confuse of the spring rate setting. Any advices? Thanks
Bump im confused about this also.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:15 PM

I wonder if you can switch the front springs with the rears so its 12k front/10k rear

Quick Reply: BC Racing BR Coilovers Review