S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.
View Poll Results: For you qualified AP1s, Did you replace your Oil Banjo Bolts?
Yes
26.74%
No
47.67%
What is a BANJO bolt
25.58%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

AP1 Oil Banjo Bolts aka Oil Sprayers

Old 07-22-2011, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S2K MY' 01

Researched the Banjo Bolts and have NOT replaced them yet. Did replaced the Intake valve retainers, new valve seals and installed NGK Iridium plugs.

Just turned 86,000 miles

Custom wire tuck, battery in trunk, pillar gauges, all Synthetic oils, Runs strong.

Might do the Oil Banjo bolts when I drop the drive train and replace the original clutch (has clutch buzz bad)
The following users liked this post:
Eclcl (05-23-2023)
Old 07-22-2011, 03:59 PM

Received 3,385 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
Originally Posted by kundanp333' timestamp='1311377789' post='20806739
I would like to ask if the modification of the sprayers does in fact cure the starvation (while doing 100+mph)? or does it just "decrease the chances"?
it has never been confirmed, there is TONS of speculation, no one has a concrete answer sadly. What I would like to know is where exactly do you find this engine serial number? From what everyone is saying, and from what I have found using this spreadsheet that patinum has made, it is agreed that somewhere mid 2002 they switched over to new style oil banjo bolts. According to that spreadsheet it seems in that in 2002 there were 10,036 s2000s made, from this can we assume that any s2k with a vin #(from the dashboard) with a number greater than 5000 has the new style banjo bolts? Ive have number vin#8386 so Iam wondering if I got the new style ones or not.
The engine change-over number confirmed on the internet seems to be around 5786 in 2002, but that is not definitive from Honda, just owners who had their engines checked and found the bolts. While that number is far from accurate, I think it is safe to assume that an engine in the 8000 range would have the new bolts. Mine is in the low 5000 range so this issue irks me whenever I think if it, I'd hate to get the bolts go through the process of dropping the pan only to find that it has the upgraded bolts. I'm resigned to the fact that I won't ever drive in conditions that would result in oil starvation issues so I should be safe.

It should be noted that tracking your car or auto-xing your car isn't a problem with the old bolts, as you vary your rpms during track driving and auto-x, it seems the problem arises when you drive at high constant rpms for long periods of time. If you vary the engine speed a bit even though driving at high speeds the problem doesn't seem to arise.

It is interesting to note that oil starvation issues continued on cars that did the oil jet bolt change, and even on some ap2's so it was not a total fix for oil starvation issues and not all oil starvation problems stemmed from the oil jet bolt issue.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:11 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

With oil starvation they mean in this case starving the #4 cylinder wall & piston from oil.
There are many other oil starvation possibilities left.

My original MY'00 engine had the bolts changed by the dealer - European recall.

Sure, we in Europe all drive like idiots on our Autobahn.

Its possible though, with a higher chance of synthetic oils used in the European engines and those oils being the 5W-40 viscosity mentioned in the manual to be use din colder climats, one could potentionally reduce the oil flow through the engine at higher rpm.

In the US, where - especially in 2000-2003 - the 10W-30 dino oil still ruled so the change was alot less.
Not to forget that dino stuff sheared like no other effectively making it a 20 weight.
Exit oil flow problems.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:45 PM

I also think today's improved 30 weight oils may have helped with the issue as well.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the upgrade was overrated... But I was not thoroughly convinced, thus the poll/post.

I have also heard, from word of mouth, that the design of the oil pan has an influence on the amount of oil delivered to the engine. This lack of oil delivery can or may occur while taking sharp turns all because the oil may not be available at the bottom of the pan, and instead is lying around on the sides.

TRUE?!
Old 07-23-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by kundanp333
I thought the upgrade was overrated... But I was not thoroughly convinced, thus the poll/post.

I have also heard, from word of mouth, that the design of the oil pan has an influence on the amount of oil delivered to the engine. This lack of oil delivery can or may occur while taking sharp turns all because the oil may not be available at the bottom of the pan, and instead is lying around on the sides.

TRUE?!
I never heard of the oil pan issue. I think much of the oil starvation issue that centered around hard cornering was due to people having low engine oil levels and not checking their oil levels frequently enough. Low oil levels will kill the engine faster than any other issue.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kundanp333
When Honda decided it was serious enough to spend the money to do all of Europe I decided it must be a real risk. I was early enough that I had to get the bolts through a contact in Europe but was tracking the car regularly and felt it was a prudent move. The change is relatively cheap and easy to do so I am surprised how few did it.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by kundanp333' timestamp='1311463339' post='20808862

TRUE?!
I never heard of the oil pan issue. I think much of the oil starvation issue that centered around hard cornering was due to people having low engine oil levels and not checking their oil levels frequently enough. Low oil levels will kill the engine faster than any other issue.
x2, low oil killed my first engine

i had the updated banjo bolts installed in the engine currently in the car, they were installed at 80k, now at 110k, been turbo for ~20k miles, all is well in the world
Old 07-24-2011, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No.

I'm just under 103k. No issues.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:05 AM

Received 1,256 Likes on 765 Posts

I have SEEN three seperate cars....not read about on s2ki, this is my own experience...cars with plenty of miles, 20-40k or so, that scored the #4 cylinder within two weeks of going FI (forced induction, whether turbo or supercharged). All these cars were comfirmed to have the old two-hole style oil jet bolts.

If you are FI and you have the old style bolts, you run a serious risk of scoring the cylinder. If you have not scored your cylinders yet, you do not encounter the piston temps of the cars that are having issues due to driving style.

I have found the new style bolts in one engine that was a few hundred or so lower than the suspected engine number of 1025386...I'm pretty sure it was around 1025230. 2000-2001 cars all have the old style bolts. 2003-2009 all have the new style bolts. 2002 was the year of the changover, starting approximately with the ENGINE numbers I have listed.

Each cylinder has one oil jet, mounted to the block at the bottom of the cylinder, that sprays oil under the piston. Each piston has ten little holes in it, that lead from underneath the piston to the lowest ring on the piston....the OIL RING. It is obvious that the new oil jet bolt allows a larger volume of oil to reach the lower oil ring. The oil ring is a 3 piece set. upper and lower scraper rings, and a middle ring that looks like an accordian and holds oil. The new jet bolts MIGHT also affect the spray pattern of the oil as it exits the jet. as the piston moves downward, it mushrooms out the tower of spraying oil, forcing the oil out the ten holes. I BELIEVE it also sevres to cool the piston.

Oil jet bolt replacement requires oil pan removal, windage tray removal, and decent mechanical abilty.

THERE HAVE BEEN A FEW CASES of people attempting to do the job, and cross threading or stripping the holes in the engine block. The entire engine blocks were garbage at this point and had to be replaced.

A high quality 3/8" drive torque wrench is an absolute must. You cannot set your 1/2" drive torque wrench to the proper torque and try to torque an oil jet bolt. 1/2" drive torque wrenches are not designed to operate in the lowest setting of the wrench. You will, without question, destroy the engine block.

The new oil jet bolts have four oil holes, AND a taller head. they can be identified without removing the jet or bolt itself from the engine. I'm wondering if a borescope can be used after oil draining to identify the new bolts due to the head size.

I can add pics later of the bolts.

Quick Reply: AP1 Oil Banjo Bolts aka Oil Sprayers